Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I feel like this trade will ultimately be Pilkington & Bilous for Escobar.

I would be thrilled with that, but I don't think either is a centerpiece even for Escobar (if we are getting salary relief which is the Sox MO).

If we take on all of the salary, I think that deal could work.

Burdi might be too strong of a centerpiece for Escobar + salary relief.  Maybe not.  Mendick is probably a bit too strong too.

I think something that might work could be Ruiz + Marshall + Pilkington-level prospect for Escobar + Soria with the DBacks eating the cash difference.  Ruiz is out of options but has definitely improved a lot and could develop into a high-leverage guy over there, so 5+ years of that is really pretty good value IMO.  And maybe Marshall could be flipped or even dumped later for cash considerations, similar to when we got Clippard.  Or he could be a garbage man.  I would definitely take Soria as the MR/garbage man replacement for Foster and Marshall both.

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Tim Beckham has served his suspension per a White Sox source. He could be added to the roster whenever. 

Have you heard anything about other clubs looking at Burger and/or Sheets?  Is there any sense that other teams view these guys as pieces worth trading for?

man to be honest i don't know if i really want Adam Frazier or Eduardo Escobar.

Both could very easily fall off the planet after the trade and be as good or worse than our current pieces.

I'd rather just trade for Starlin Marte (I know he's not middle infield eligible) as I feel that would be an impact move at a position of need more so then filling 2b

11 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Both could very easily fall off the planet after the trade and be as good or worse than our current pieces.

I'd rather just trade for Starlin Marte (I know he's not middle infield eligible) as I feel that would be an impact move at a position of need more so then filling 2b

Agreed. I would be fine with Leury/Mendick at 2B batting last if we upgraded RF.

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Agreed. I would be fine with Leury/Mendick at 2B batting last if we upgraded RF.

There is zero chance they upgrade.  JR spent money on a FA for RF.  Unless Eaton is out for the season he is going to be out there.   We trotted out a terrible OF into the playoffs last year.  He will do the same this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Escobar reminds me of the kind of guy who comes here and falls off a cliff offensively

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I would be thrilled with that, but I don't think either is a centerpiece even for Escobar (if we are getting salary relief which is the Sox MO).

If we take on all of the salary, I think that deal could work.

Burdi might be too strong of a centerpiece for Escobar + salary relief.  Maybe not.  Mendick is probably a bit too strong too.

I think something that might work could be Ruiz + Marshall + Pilkington-level prospect for Escobar + Soria with the DBacks eating the cash difference.  Ruiz is out of options but has definitely improved a lot and could develop into a high-leverage guy over there, so 5+ years of that is really pretty good value IMO.  And maybe Marshall could be flipped or even dumped later for cash considerations, similar to when we got Clippard.  Or he could be a garbage man.  I would definitely take Soria as the MR/garbage man replacement for Foster and Marshall both.

I’m assuming Reinsdorf eats cash (at least for Escobar) and that’s reflected in the proposed price.

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

^Also, if the Sox offered some package of any 2 of the group of Burger/Sheets/Stiever/Lambert/Burdi today for Marte, do you think that deal could get done?

I don’t think it gets a deal done today, but I think we can possibly make a deal with two of those guys come July.  I would think Burger + Lambert would be an attractive package for a team like the Marlins.

8 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Why do we need more maybe/kinda impactful players?

Because our poor drafting previously has led to no power in the lineup. Collins was supposed to be a power bat for instance. Yoan isn't hitting homers and neither is Vaughn and Abreu right now. We have no power. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Because our poor drafting previously has led to no power in the lineup. Collins was supposed to be a power bat for instance. Yoan isn't hitting homers and neither is Vaughn and Abreu right now. We have no power. 

But Monday just started.

55 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I hope it gets done. Sure Escobar is a low obp guy but so are mendick and leury, I rather have a 300 obp with a 200 ISO than a 300 obp with a 100 ISO. 

So let’s get more of that? 

#allthemediocrity! 

Edited by RTC

10 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Yuck. If this is our big trade we’re screwed. I don’t have any faith in this front office making more moves that potentially add more payroll. 

For those who think Escobar is meh please be advised that his 15 HR's would currently lead the team. His .743 OPS would currently be 4th on the Sox behind Moncada, Abreu and Anderson and only Moncada is barely above .800 OPS. Moncada's OPS is propped up by his walks.

If Moncada get's injured Escobar can replace him at 3rd base.

Escobar's Slg % is .455 which would be 1st on the Sox. Abreu 's is .448 Moncada's is .403. Mendick  Slg % is .315 .

Against RHP his Slg % is .431 which would put him 3d behind Abreu's .569 and Mercedes .524 but since Mercedes can't be counted on anymore might as well say Escobar would be 2nd. A few others with insignificant PA's are higher than Escobar  but you get the drift.

Against RHP his 10 HR's would be 1st on the Sox.

Against LHP his 5 HR's would be tied with 2nd with Vaughn only behind Abreu's 6.

Against LHP his Slg. % is .530 which would be 3rd on the Sox behind  Vaughn and Abreu .

Contrary to popular belief without Eloy, Robert and Madrigal who actually had the Highest Slg Pct against LHP on the Sox (besides Vaughn) when injured, the Sox do not kill LHP anymore.

After Vaughn's outstanding .726 Slg. vs. LHP and Abreu is Mercedes and he can't be counted on anymore. After Mercedes is Grandal at .417 . After Grandal not a single regular above .358 .

All of this should tell you that if you think Escobar is meh then you should think the whole lineup is meh especially against RHP and yes ,even against LHP.

He is definitely better than Mendick and just about anyone on the Sox in an area where the Sox suck and that is power and slugging from both sides of the plate. When your 2 best LHH's OPS are propped up by walks putting Escobar behind our walk machines whether he hits righty or lefty Escobar is a pretty big upgrade.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, hi8is said:

For the record- I think we can do better than Escobar but I’ll take him.

The problem is to do better means to give up much better players. Who better can we bring in without dipping into our roster guys? Everyone knows we are desperate and will charge us accordingly. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The problem is to do better means to give up much better players. Who better can we bring in without dipping into our roster guys? Everyone knows we are desperate and will charge us accordingly. 

I’m not ready to call us desperate 

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Adding Escobar would be a decent addition. Sox need some more thump in the lineup, especially down in the bottom of the order. He shouldn't cost all that much either, which is important because this team needs to add some arms for the bullpen too.

They need the thump everywhere in the lineup. I just broke it down by Slugging Percentage because OPS is propped up by walks in our LHH's. But when Madrigal is your top Slugging guy against LHP ,besides Vaughn who blows everyone else away vs. LHP you need help badly. Abreu was probably ahead of Madrigal when Nick got injured but he isn't anymore.

Plus everyone thinks the Sox are some juggernaut against LHP but that isn't even true anymore. Escobar instantly becomes one of our best hitters from both sides of the plate despite his low OBP because he can hit HR's.

Against RHP I'd put Moncada, Grandal, Escobar ABreu , and hope to get more 2 and 3 run HR's that way because of Grandal's and Moncada's ability to take a walk.

Against LHP I'd have a 3 4 5 of Vaughn, Abreu and Escobar.

• Like 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic