Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

42 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

What a hilarious way for Bob to break a trade. Only Bob.

Escobar adds some much needed pop to our lineup but we need to keep adding. Get an impact RF too please.

If you want a RF too, Kole Calhoun is expected to start a rehab assignment, any day now. As has been suggested, both Escobar and Calhoun would help and probably wouldn't cost much in prospects. Th Dbacks would save about $8 million in total salaries and would likely be willing to take 2, or 3 prospects, in return. Although most of us wouldn't consider many of our top 10 MLB Pipeline prospects all that great, they might look ok to Arizona, given their rankings. I would guess that a package like Stiever, L. Gonzalez and one more guy, might be enough. After all, it's just for a couple of half season rentals, from a team that is out of the race.

6 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

He didn't exactly say it, but I think the "and soon on his way from the #Dbacks to the #WhiteSox" part is essentially saying it without actually having said it.

Actually, I think that Bob did "exactly say it". What other interpretation could "soon on his way from the Dbacks to the White Sox," possibly have?

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Actually, I think that Bob did "exactly say it". What other interpretation could "soon on his way from the Dbacks to the White Sox," possibly have?

Like I said, first cup of coffee. Didn’t read it all obviously. Hope they get it done pronto, and move on to the next one.

If the Sox added Escobar and Calhoun to their lineup, it would look so much better than what they have been running out there, vs. RHP.

SS  Anderson

3B  Moncada

1B  Abreu

2B  Escobar

C    Grandal

DH Lamb

RF  Calhoun

CF  Engel

LF  Goodwin/Leury

Edited by Lillian

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Got to imagine he feels pretty good now that fans are back and vaccines are working. I’ve long said - Sox kept some ammo in reserve due to COVID and they are going to be positioned to push more chips in from a financial perspective (whether at deadline or in offseason). 

I like to think it's something silly like the City Connect jerseys constantly selling out, but you're right.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I like to think it's something silly like the City Connect jerseys constantly selling out, but you're right.

Those basketball jerseys looked pretty sweet...honestly jealous I couldn't be there to get one. I loved the road "Chicago" script on the home white pinstripe jerseys

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree that he phrased it as the Sox are trading for Eduardo (and that's how I interpreted it as well), but he went out of his way to type what he did instead of actually saying he was traded to the Sox. Like I said, he said it without actually saying it. Probably just splitting hairs over it, as we'll (hopefully) know the outcome soon enough.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Get that guy in a plane for the 2nd game today. This isn’t some blockbuster - get this shit done. 

Assuming this is all legit, I’m guessing they’re just verifying medicals given his recent quad injury.  That being said, this all feels like he’d join the team tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Obviously there's nothing that close.  Bob should have said "My opinion is.." or "I bet..." or "My guess is.." etc.  But I guess people call him "Boob" for a reason.

Well to be fair, Bob did call the TLR hiring so he’s pretty spot on when it comes to the Sox. 

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do you say that?

Typically this is how it goes:

All the main newsbreaker types have access to the league office.  Usually things are pretty quiet until the papers get sent into the office.  Then, everyone starts to know at once, and that's when the local beat guy and preferred writer types are likely to get the extra scoop, because the papers are already in and everyone already is going to know.  This obviously isn't finalized.  The papers aren't in otherwise as is typical, all the big baseball writers would be all over it.

Secondly, the Sox aren't the only team bidding on Escobar.  The DBacks also aren't out to make the Sox better, they are out to improve their own team.  Typically, when a deal is close, the trading club will call the other bidders and ask them to submit final offers.  Again, here is a point where other writers start chiming in.  Other teams' writers start saying they think they will or won't get a guy, etc.  We aren't there yet either.

This is a Boob plant IMO.  IMO what makes the most sense is that it's probably a comment designed to get other teams to up their offers to AZ, which actually hurts the Sox.  So fuck Bob.

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

For Nightengale to say that, this better be done and announced this morning. Otherwise, not very pro coming from a national writer. 

If it was that close, there would be a bunch of other guys onto this.  Escobar is a pretty big chip on the trade block.  It's all a bunch of bullshit IMO.

12 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

All the main newsbreaker types have access to the league office.  Usually things are pretty quiet until the papers get sent into the office.  Then, everyone starts to know at once, and that's when the local beat guy and preferred writer types are likely to get the extra scoop, because the papers are already in and everyone already is going to know.  This obviously isn't finalized.  The papers aren't in otherwise as is typical, all the big baseball writers would be all over it.

Secondly, the Sox aren't the only team bidding on Escobar.  The DBacks also aren't out to make the Sox better, they are out to improve their own team.  Typically, when a deal is close, the trading club will call the other bidders and ask them to submit final offers.  Again, here is a point where other writers start chiming in.  Other teams' writers start saying they think they will or won't get a guy, etc.  We aren't there yet either.

This is a Boob plant IMO.  IMO what makes the most sense is that it's probably a comment designed to get other teams to up their offers to AZ, which actually hurts the Sox.  So fuck Bob.

You’re overthinking this...sure, and the White Sox can just as easily be working on a simultaneous deal for Ryan McMahon.

Who blinks first?

Pretty clear the DBacks are in for a long rebuild and need to save all the money they can.

No point in paying guys like Peralta, Calhoun, A.Cabrera or Reddick for a team already buried and looking to be without Ketel Marte again for quite some time.  After Marte, Zac Gallen might be their second most valuable player.  They need both to load up on prospects and salary relief simultaneously.

But the Pirates see the same opportunity to sell high on Frazier, just like the Rockies with McMahon.

21 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

:bang

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Are you an insider? Lol 😂 

Edited by maloney.adam

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic