Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Why is this even a discussion?

You just don't trade players like Yoan unless you are rebuilding.

Like WTF are you guys even thinking that promote it?

You'd have to trade Yoan to a contender and they'd have to give some high quality pieces back and it's such a nuisance of a trade that it's just not fathomable. 

Just saying, to echo other comments, he has not earned the claim to 3rd base  for life that has been fait accompli around here. That’s teally what the discussion is. It’s s not advocating a deal today. Rather debating Yoan Moncada’s ultimate value and fan derived status given the issues with his game. He is talked about like some 5 tool guy, but only uses about 3ish, and cannot fill other holes on the team as they crop up. That’s all.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He has a had a huge weight loss and was considered nearly a Gold Glove level collegian, very strong arm, etc.  A pregame warm-up where he didn’t look 100% focused is not the right way to effectively scout a player...certainly not the player he actually is in 2021.

Not sure how much weight he lost but he had a serious issue with balance if you look at that video.  He has also had two serious Achilles heel injuries since then.  I would like to see more current video(s) of Burger taking ground balls at second, pivoting, and throwing on to first for a double play. I have an open mind for players who have conditioned themselves and  developed into major league level players and would be very happy if he did that.

Moncada is hitting .275 with a .393 SLG%. He's on pace to hit about 30 2B, no triples and 11 homers, while driving in about 75 runs. He has attempted just 3 stolen bases and been caught once.  He's a good fielding third baseman and takes his share of walks. I don't know how most people here feel about him, but he has certainly not performed like most expected, or up to his potential.  Let's hope he starts to do that, and soon. He's hitting more like a prototypical second baseman, than a guy at the hot corner. He's one of the big reasons this team is not hitting the long ball.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Moncada is hitting .275 with a .393 SLG%. He's on pace to hit about 30 2B, no triples and 11 homers, while driving in about 75 runs. He has attempted just 3 stolen bases and been caught once.  He's a good fielding third baseman and takes his share of walks. I don't know how most people here feel about him, but he has certainly not performed like most expected, or up to his potential.  Let's hope he starts to do that, and soon. 

Do you discount the possibility that he is a Covid long hauler or has other lingering physical injuries that he may be able to overcome?

I have no idea what physical issues he might have, which could explain why he is playing below expectations. I was simply asserting that this version of Moncada is hardly one of the 10 to 15 best players in the Majors. He's 42ND in batting average, 106TH in SLG% and tied for 193RD in Home runs. He is 52ND in OPS. He does have a great OBP. I'll give him that.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

fWAR does.

#17.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0

I’m sure we would have a huge debate if it was suggested we acquire Jesse Winker (the next on the FG list behind him) for Moncada straight up...as Winker plays a decent outfield, more control/cheaper and has put up massive offensive numbers this season.

If Jimenez, Robert and Madrigal were all in the everyday lineup, we wouldn’t even be considering this.

And that #17 is down after two major errors and a mini slump in recent weeks.  He was all the way up around an 870 ops.

And here's the list since 2019, where Moncada is exactly #10 overall ahead of names like Bellinger, Realmuto, Yelich, Arenado, Grandal, Machado, etc.

He's not providing value in the most traditional way this year, but it's still so strange to me that basically every thread turns into people wanting to trade Moncada these days given how good he is

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

The problem is that eating all of Escobar’s salary hurts them for other moves.  They know they need a RF and one more reliever.  And they truly have a tight budget.   Not saying I agree with that approach but it is what it is. 

Tight budget lol. What a load of crap. This franchise desperately needs an ownership change.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If trading Jake Burger gets us another piece for this team, drive him to MDW and put him on the plane. Maybe he ends up as a solid major leaguer, but he has significant talent in front of him every where he can play.  Deal him and move on.

Agree but I think he has more value than a straight up trade for rental Escobar.

I'm fine with trading Burger but I want it to be the right trade.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

The problem is that eating all of Escobar’s salary hurts them for other moves.  They know they need a RF and one more reliever.  And they truly have a tight budget.   Not saying I agree with that approach but it is what it is. 

Eating like $4 mill? Lol

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Moncada was pretty bad at 2B and is good at 3B.  Why mess with a good thing?  Why move Yoan off of his best position so a lesser player can play there?  That seems silly to me.

He's become fairly meh but perhaps not well maybe Covid? 

18 minutes ago, pcq said:

He's become fairly meh but perhaps not well maybe Covid? 

37 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

This reminds me of the way the politicians worry about spending over $1 trillion, but have managed to spend $4-5 trillion in recent years.  It’s almost not real.

It’s the same way with the Sox budgets.  We’re almost conditioned to act like its our own money.

That we’re wringing our hands over $4ish million and worrying there will be no way to add a RFer and reliever is telling.

Next year, it will be the CBA uncertainty.

The whole mentality is not a championship-focused one.  It’s more just being happy to get into the playoffs and maybe advance.

It’s always this way.

We added Grandal, Hendriks and Keuchel, now there’s almost no financial flexibility.

Seems a foregone conclusion that Giolito and Anderson will eventually be gone, so why worry about window years 5-7 when we should be maximizing year 2?   Even at the budget of the Cubs, it wasn’t sustainable and their last four years will be disappointing barring a major pitching miracle.  We’re ONLY about $70-80 million behind them. But that was 2016-2018.  It’s like we are supposed to be thankful we’re not running even tighter budgets like the Indians, Tigers and Royals.

Austerity rules.

But it will will unlikely lead to a championship since we have no niche or competitive advantage, other than Cubans (diminishing every year) and what, Katz?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic