Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Especially when you are counting on immediate results. If they were hoping the guy could help them out next year, OK, but they need him to be good and play all the time now. 

I feel like Sox fans are limiting themselves to AZ(and Pitt) as the only team that may sell, and it is leading to over emphasis on their pieces.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

For someone that has a White Sox podcast and a website, you’d think he would be more knowledgeable as to how baseball works.

He’s out there ripping Sox fans for not wanting to give up Burger for a rental (or at least Escobar), but then refers to him as 35 FV guy because of an outdated Fangraphs assessment.  Sorry, but the dude lost 40 Lbs and has skipped two levels and is performing at a high level and had a 1st round pedigree to begin with.  He’s not a top 100 prospect, but he’s also much better than the 35 FV designation he was previously given.  Also, Josh doesn’t seem to get that the goal is to maximize value of your assets and not just given them away because they’re currently blocked.  Just some really poor takes from the dude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I know this is thread hacking but speaking of a player involved in a previous trade with the twins…

anyway I feel like Sox should be trying to get Cruz (or Donaldson). Twins have the expensive fire sale goods we’d be all over except division Yada yada. Sheeeeeeet I’d welcome back Colome.

I doubt the Twins will sell until after our 7 games with them in the next week and a half. If we end up winning 3 or 4 of those games, I think they'll sell. With the way we're playing though, that's not even a guarantee. 

I have this feeling that we will not get Escobar. First, he’s dealing with an injury and I can’t see the Sox taking on that at this point and second the D-Backs asking price is a little steep. They know that we are desperate so I don’t see them backing down a whole lot from there original asking price but I guess we’ll see what happens.

Edited by maloney.adam

41 minutes ago, Baron said:

Well also...Tommy Harris was a penetrating 3 technique. That pretty much ended his one advantage that he had coming out of college. 

Doesn't mean it won't cause issues when someone is sprinting to first base and overly extends to the bag. Not saying it will cause issues but it needs to be a concern if you are trading for said player.

9 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I have this feeling that we will not get Escobar. First, he’s dealing with an injury and I can’t see the Sox taking on that at this point and second the D-Backs asking price is a little steep. They know that we are desperate so I don’t see them backing down a whole lot from there original asking price but I guess we’ll see what happens.

This doesn't make sense. If Escobar is damaged goods and the Sox are desperate, Arizona should be dropping their price to get the Sox to take him before we find a better option.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They will back down eventually. I guess their strategy is someone, if not one of the teams on him now, may have an injury or two and get desperate. Since his contract isn't prohibitive, they can play this off for a little while, but unless a team gets stupid, eventually the asking price will come down. In fact, if the Sox have to wait a couple of weeks, what they are willing to give up probably comes down since they will have him for a shorter period. 

16 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

This doesn't make sense. If Escobar is damaged goods and the Sox are desperate, Arizona should be dropping their price to get the Sox to take him before we find a better option.

Kinda what I was thinking. The injury risk should sweeten the deal, if anything. 

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Kinda what I was thinking. The injury risk should sweeten the deal, if anything. 

He had a slight quad problem earlier, and he has has hammy issues in the past. He's pretty much answered the bell the last 4 seasons, and his weight is down significantly this year. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but it doesn't hurt to bring up concerns in negotiations.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s out there ripping Sox fans for not wanting to give up Burger for a rental (or at least Escobar), but then refers to him as 35 FV guy because of an outdated Fangraphs assessment.  Sorry, but the dude lost 40 Lbs and has skipped two levels and is performing at a high level and had a 1st round pedigree to begin with.  He’s not a top 100 prospect, but he’s also much better than the 35 FV designation he was previously given.  Also, Josh doesn’t seem to get that the goal is to maximize value of your assets and not just given them away because they’re currently blocked.  Just some really poor takes from the dude.

It's not just that, he just thinks guys are worth way more than they are. When I pointed out that Castellanos and JD Martinez were traded for a bag of balls with their contracts expiring he chose to ignore that fact. Castellanos was a better piece than Escobar. I think Burger has a lot to prove, but there's just no reason to move him when the cost for a guy like Escobar should honestly be whatever the Sox feel comfortable with given the way the market has moved for rental position players the last 5ish years. No one is giving up much more than depth and a lotto ticket for guys like that anymore.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Desperation is a media narrative and nothing more.

The Sox are in first place and their divisional foe is riddled with injuries to their strength (arms). The D Back are way more in need of moving pieces to acquire something for them than the Sox are to overpay for a middle of the road player.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Well you may be correct and I may be overnalyzing it but wouldnt you be concerned if a player your trying to acquire has had injuries in the past and your team is already dealing with a lot of injuries? It’s obviously a risk to take correct? Yes he has slimmed down quite a bit so I don’t think it’s as much of a concern but I agree with what @Dick Allen is saying, they should bring it up in negotiations and maybe see if they will sweeten the deal like what @ScooterMcGee said.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

DBacks have a better shot getting an adolfo due to options. Adolfo K rate is crazy but his wRC+ is 133 at AA right now. He's been mashing.

Yes, but if Adolfo ever gets called up, he is going to make Adam Dunn's contact rate look like Nick Madrigal's. The guy has a shot of making it, but he has no place with the White Sox, especially when they sign Colas. You can't be spending a roster spot on him. 

But he is a decent trade chip. He is huge, has huge talent, has some numbers a fan base can get a little excited about, was once very highly valued. He's a guy that can make a salary dump look OK. 

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but if Adolfo ever gets called up, he is going to make Adam Dunn's contact rate look like Nick Madrigal's. The guy has a shot of making it, but he has no place with the White Sox, especially when they sign Colas. You can't be spending a roster spot on him. 

But he is a decent trade chip. He is huge, has huge talent, has some numbers a fan base can get a little excited about, was once very highly valued. He's a guy that can make a salary dump look OK. 

He's not better then Luis Gonzales?

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

He's not better then Luis Gonzales?

I'd certainly rather watch Adolfo than Gonzalez.  Gonzalez can at least play a respectable OF which is my assumption as to why he was the one.  I don't think Micker is much of a defender.  Offensively tho, at least Micker could run into some, which is something this lineup needs considering the current state of the OF.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd certainly rather watch Adolfo than Gonzalez.  Gonzalez can at least play a respectable OF which is my assumption as to why he was the one.  I don't think Micker is much of a defender.  Offensively tho, at least Micker could run into some, which is something this lineup needs considering the current state of the OF.  

To your point Jason Bennetti just tweeted this out....

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This should drum up some conversation, who here thinks Jake Burger will either turn into a good everyday player for the Sox or a superstar and it would be mistake trading him for Escobar? Explain why.

I don't know if he is a solution for anywhere. He is blocked but with Vaughn being able to play the OF, and Abreu with 1 more year on the contract after this season, and thinking Moncada with never get hurt again, I think he has value. I always read where he was going to hit, and he would be very popular. Seems he has taken his physical conditioning more seriously, that can only help. I would be leery of trading him. He seems like a professional hitter.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This should drum up some conversation, who here thinks Jake Burger will either turn into a good everyday player for the Sox or a superstar and it would be mistake trading him for Escobar? Explain why.

I think the answer to that is pretty easy:  he was drafted 11th overall.  Clearly the org thought he had the talent to become an everyday player, and he's now healthy and producing even after skipping two levels.  The main reason to regard him as anything other than a real prospect is a medical one that I'm not qualified to opine on.

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Trading away even just a role-player with 6+ years of cheap control is a bad trade for an average player with 3 months control.  Pretty much any player that is going to produce something at the major league level that has that much control is worth more than Escobar.  Burger is already pretty close and at this point, barring another catastrophic injury, is going to be a big leaguer. 

Now you have to give to get, but to me, this seems much more like a trade that you give up something that is much further from the big leagues and has a much higher chance of never making it.  

I certainly wouldn't be beside myself if the Sox traded Burger for Escobar, but I don't think it should require that.  Don't blame AZ for starting there, tho. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic