Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

14 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Kinda like a Mike Sweeney or Billy Butler.

I think if all goes right, he could be Justin Turner. A little less contact, but a little more power. I also think Burger's walk rate will increase over time.

OTOH, he can run out a grounder to SS and blow out his Achilles again and be done. 

Edited by Dick Allen

They shouldn’t trade Burger because you can just tell from the way he plays that he’s going to be an everyday player. I can see him maybe replacing Moncada someday. Escobar obviously isn’t a long term solution, only a rental so why trade someone that will fill a need for us long term for someone who will only be here short term.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They shouldn’t trade Burger because you can just tell from the way he plays that he’s going to be an everyday player. I can see him replacing Moncada someday. Escobar obviously isn’t a long term solution, only a rental so why trade someone that will fill a need for us long term for someone who will only be here short term.

Burger is only a year younger than Yoan

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They shouldn’t trade Burger because you can just tell from the way he plays that he’s going to be an everyday player. I can see him replacing Moncada someday. Escobar obviously isn’t a long term solution, only a rental so why trade someone that will fill a need for us long term for someone who will only be here short term.

Things will have gone very wrong if Jake Burger takes Yoan's spot

• Haha 1

IMO, if the DBacks really like Burger a lot, we should try to do a 3-team deal with MIA where we get (ideally in my book) Escobar, Starling Marte, Soria + Caleb Smith or Detwiler.

AZ should have to give a bit more to pay for Burger's control and upside.  They could send whatever that would be to MIA.

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Than where do you see Burger playing than. DH? 2nd Base? You have Madrigal at 2b. The only other position I can see is maybe DH but that’s it.

Wouldn't surprise me if Burger could cover an OF corner. Jake strikes me as a true baseball player. He's in good shape and runs ok for a big guy.

• Like 1

Just now, zisk said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Burger could cover an OF corner. Jake strikes me as a true baseball player. He's in good shape and runs ok for a big guy.

Yes.  After what we have seen this season, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw Burger playing everywhere but SS, C, and CF (don't give TLR any ideas)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zisk said:

I could see him being a Carlos Quentin stockier type of RF.

We could certainly use the power in the OF. Vaughn/Eloy -- Robert -- Burger would be a super-powered OF with DH used for rest.

I wonder what people would think of Burger's trade value compared to other Sox prospects.

E.g. if Burger was on another team and we had a hole at corner IF/DH (i.e. Abreu is done for the year and we have no Vaughn) and Burger was available for Sox prospects, what would he cost?

I think the opinion on him is probably all over the map.  But if you think he has a good shot at hitting the MLB fastball and just being a good bad breaking ball hitter, I think you have to see him as a starting option at an offensive position, and that would make him fairly expensive.  I don't even know if we have a less-than-Crochet piece that would be a good centerpiece for him.  Would Thompson, Kelly, Stiever, etc. work as a centerpiece for Burger if you think he's a legit starter?  Probably not IMO unless you add a lot to it.

OTOH if you think Burger is a hit-or-miss guy who could be a platoon player or just bench type, the value is pretty low, and maybe you don't even offer one of those players mentioned above.

IMO, it's all about how the Sox feel about Burger that matters.  If they think he is a potential starter, then I think they need to take the risk and showcase him in the Majors.  If not and they just think he's a bench type, then they should probably protect him if there are other teams out there who think he can start.  But if everyone thinks he's just a bench type, then you may as well showcase him at the MLB level because you really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing that.  Maybe he would change somebody's mind a bit if he did well in a showcase.

34 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

No. I’m just saying at bats are there eventually. Vaughn is capable of playing a corner spot. He’s not replacing Moncada. That is stupid.

Your right my post sounded kind of stupid. I went back and edited it to maybe he will replace Moncada someday because I still think there’s a small sliver of a chance that he will. Not saying he definitely will but there is a small percentage there.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Your right that’s stupid. I went back and edited my post to maybe he will replace Moncada because I still think there’s a small sliver of a chance that he will. Not saying he will but there is a small percentage there.

Moncada has 4 years left and as someone else said, Burger is only a year younger.

17 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Moncada has 4 years left and as someone else said, Burger is only a year younger.

I’m not backing out of my post. Injuries, other outside factors we don’t know about yet like trades, etc. can play a role.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

In MLBtraderumors today about Escobar : In 152 plate appearances since that time, (MAY 14) he’s mashed at a .306/.342/.563 clip with 10 homers, five doubles and a triple. That hot streak has boosted his season batting line to a respectable .253/.298/.481 and bumped his 2021 home run total up to 17.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think if all goes right, he could be Justin Turner. A little less contact, but a little more power. I also think Burger's walk rate will increase over time.

OTOH, he can run out a grounder to SS and blow out his Achilles again and be done. 

I tend to think like you - if he is healthy - he's going to have a good MLB career.  I don't like trading a guy like that for a rental the caliber of Escobar.  

40 minutes ago, DashFan said:

I could see him being a Carlos Quentin stockier type of RF.

We could certainly use the power in the OF. Vaughn/Eloy -- Robert -- Burger would be a super-powered OF with DH used for rest.

Wayne Nordhagen. 

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic