Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's what the Moncada power outage has done. It isn't just him. Look at Gleyber Torres as well. Also had covid, can't hit for power anymore. 

Except against us as I recall.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Dude it’s not like this is “expected Schwarber”.  Let’s cool it on the I told ya sos 😂

Just doesn't seem like a run "one of the worst players in baseball" would go on....but what do I know.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Trading Moncada to make room for Burger lol

You would need to explain to me why in a hypothetical situation where Burger (or someone else young the Sox had) became a competent WAR 3rd baseman, why trading Moncada for equal talent at a different position of need would be funny instead of advantageous to the team. It seems appropriate that Moncada should simply volunteer to play somewhere else in that scenario ideally. Of course you could go the other way and trade Burger to fill the hole. But at this point in time, the Sox are trying dumb things like putting Burger at second…..now that’s funny.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Dude it’s not like this is “expected Schwarber”.  Let’s cool it on the I told ya sos 😂

Schwarber's 162 Game Average for Home Runs is 37, sure his current pace is 53, but not crazy considering the ebbs and flows of a season.

Also within expectations, substantial injury games lost by Eaton. Hahn just had to sign him before Christmas, leaving far better options on the table.

2 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

The problem is that eating all of Escobar’s salary hurts them for other moves.  They know they need a RF and one more reliever.  And they truly have a tight budget.   Not saying I agree with that approach but it is what it is. 

It's somewhere between what Yolmer is making and what Eloy is making.

Pay it and move on.

4 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Just saying, to echo other comments, he has not earned the claim to 3rd base  for life that has been fait accompli around here. That’s teally what the discussion is. It’s s not advocating a deal today. Rather debating Yoan Moncada’s ultimate value and fan derived status given the issues with his game. He is talked about like some 5 tool guy, but only uses about 3ish, and cannot fill other holes on the team as they crop up. That’s all.

It's hard for people to think outside the box. This is what Tampa Bay does all the time on a nothing budget and they still contend. However there is one difference . Tampa Bay some how still keeps winning and ends up with a bunch of minor league talent. It's because they trade pieces before they get expensive and multiple years left before they hit free agency  and that gets them multiple pieces of minor league talent in return . Just recently it was Snell and Adames with Wander Franco waiting to replace Adames .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Let’s not forget...the Tigers have 3/5ths of a really solid future rotation with Manning up and pitching well, add Greene/Torkelson and they’re suddenly a real threat for 2022, especially if the Indians deal Ramirez, Bieber or their two backend relievers.  They have been playing .500 or better ball for the better part of 4-6 weeks now.  At one point, they had a worse record than Balt, Colorado, AZ and Pitt.

If they have any sense that both Jimenez and Robert will be close to 100% this year, it might be as good an opportunity as they get with the Yankees down as well and the entire AL wide open.

Strike while the iron is hot to use a 500 year old saying.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's hard for people to think outside the box. This is what Tampa Bay does all the time on a nothing budget and they still contend. However there is one difference . Tampa Bay some how still keeps winning and ends up with a bunch of minor league talent. It's because they trade pieces before they get expensive and multiple years left before they hit free agency  and that gets them multiple pieces of minor league talent in return . Just recently it was Snell and Adames with Wander Franco waiting to replace Adames .

Totally agree.  And I wish the Sox would behave like this and I’m not sure, based on their apparent budget, that they don’t NEED to. The problem is that it takes balls that either:

- most teams don’t have or

- most fan bases can’t tolerate

Rays seem to be super unique and have set expectations. 

Edited by RTC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They might do it in the off season, but Tampa has never done it while in first place at the deadline. 

That's the difference. 

If the Sox were to trade their best players right now they might as well move the team, because the fan base will riot, and justifiably so.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

https://friarsonbase.com/2020/12/05/padres-look-back-pham-cronenworth-trade-year/

The jury is still out on Snell/Patino, but Cronenworth has arguably become one of the 2-3 best second basemen/utility guys in the NL.  It’s one of the rare moves that backfires on them in recent years.

And Pham has been one of the hottest hitters the last 4-6 weeks after getting over the offseason stabbing.

Adames has surprisingly helped the Brewers offensively, at a position they’ve struggled to get consistent offensive production.

"The Brewers are on a season-high six-game winning streak that has pushed them a season-high 13 games over .500. They have won 25 of 35 games since Willy Adames arrived on May 22, the best mark in baseball over that span.

“That was probably one of the best wins I’ve ever been a part of,” Adames said. “And this is just the regular season. That felt like the playoffs.”

Adames made his mark again on Monday when he launched a 411-foot, three-run home run and flipped his bat about as far toward the Brewers dugout."   MLB.com

As far TB, despite losing McKay and Honeywell for extended stretches, they’re seemingly always one step ahead in operations across the board.

Edited by caulfield12

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They might do it in the off season, but Tampa has never done it while in first place at the deadline. 

That's the difference. 

If the Sox were to trade their best players right now they might as well move the team, because the fan base will riot, and justifiably so.

Even then, TB has an exciting younger player ready to replace a veteran...the White Sox are far from being in that situation depth-wise.  Cespedes is still miles away from big league ready.  We’ll just have to wait and see with Colas.

Another thing the Rays have done extremely well is knowing when to part with backend relievers one year early versus one year too late.  They’ve essentially pioneered modern bullpen management after the 2013-15 Royals started the trend. 

Edited by caulfield12

34 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If we fool around long enough the Twins will get back in this thing.  Time to get off the pot.

We will need to add three or four pieces at the deadline, so we can’t afford to blow our prospect load on just the first piece.  Yes, we should be aggressive, but not to the point it affects our ability to do other things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Heyman said dbacks wanted Burger and Collins initially. So they wanted too much. 

I had understood that Heyman said Burger, or Collins, not "and" Collins. At any rate, that's too much to give up for a half season of Escobar.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

And here's the list since 2019, where Moncada is exactly #10 overall ahead of names like Bellinger, Realmuto, Yelich, Arenado, Grandal, Machado, etc.

He's not providing value in the most traditional way this year, but it's still so strange to me that basically every thread turns into people wanting to trade Moncada these days given how good he is

So, excluding their contracts, would you really rate Moncada as better than Bellinger, Yelich, or Arenado? I wouldn't, and it isn't even close.

13 hours ago, Lillian said:

Although I'm not suggesting that the Sox trade Moncada, I really doubt that he is one of the 10 to 15 best players in the Majors. Not unless one considers OBP the most important stat. Maybe if he were playing like the guy we saw in 2019, but not based upon what he's done since the beginning of last year. 

Getting on base is very important. 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's the difference. 

Never ? What would you call what they did with Adames ? Is it not close enough to the deadline to include that trade that was made on 5/21/2021 ?

A few days earlier they traded Hunter Strickland to the Angels. Now he wasn't a youngster but he had a 1.69 ERA for TB  before he was traded. He's had a decent career and pitched in 2 World Series. Adames was traded to Milwaukee lessening the chance that Adames will come back to bite them in the ass and Strickland to the Angels so same thing applies.

It's also important to note that these 2 in season trades where made in concert with one another. The Strickland trade was made May 17th and the Adames trade 5/21. They were probably close on the Adames trade that netted them Steckenrider, a reliever just as good and younger and controllable and another younger controllable pitcher for the minors which allowed them to trade Strickland.

When you are deep you can do these things and their budget necessitates them doing it.

If you are as successful as TB your fan base may not riot and learn to trust you.  The Chicago White Sox fan base doesn't trust that our ownership works in the best interest of the team while on a tight budget.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Heyman said dbacks wanted Burger and Collins initially. So they wanted too much. 

I don't think it was both and from what I've heard, that's not what Arizona is looking for in a deal. Also, the White Sox aren't opposed to eating money. I believe they'd prefer to take Escobar's contract and give up less in return. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

If we fool around long enough the Twins will get back in this thing.  Time to get off the pot.

Twins need to go 57-29 to win 90. They're cooked. They could cause the White Sox some problems though. 

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic