Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think it was both and from what I've heard, that's not what Arizona is looking for in a deal. Also, the White Sox aren't opposed to eating money. I believe they'd prefer to take Escobar's contract and give up less in return. 

Twins need to go 57-29 to win 90. They're cooked. They could cause the White Sox some problems though. 

What do you think they are looking for?  I’d assume arms or young positional talent.  Guys like Burger & Sheets are probably more interesting to teams that just need some tweaking rather than a full blown rebuild.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What do you think they are looking for?  I’d assume arms or young positional talent.  Guys like Burger & Sheets are probably more interesting to teams that just need some tweaking rather than a full blown rebuild.

Pitching and young athletes is my best guess. They aren't trading for guys with 1-2 option years though. They're brutal. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://friarsonbase.com/2020/12/05/padres-look-back-pham-cronenworth-trade-year/

The jury is still out on Snell/Patino, but Cronenworth has arguably become one of the 2-3 best second basemen/utility guys in the NL.  It’s one of the rare moves that backfires on them in recent years.

And Pham has been one of the hottest hitters the last 4-6 weeks after getting over the offseason stabbing.

Adames has surprisingly helped the Brewers offensively, at a position they’ve struggled to get consistent offensive production.

"The Brewers are on a season-high six-game winning streak that has pushed them a season-high 13 games over .500. They have won 25 of 35 games since Willy Adames arrived on May 22, the best mark in baseball over that span.

“That was probably one of the best wins I’ve ever been a part of,” Adames said. “And this is just the regular season. That felt like the playoffs.”

Adames made his mark again on Monday when he launched a 411-foot, three-run home run and flipped his bat about as far toward the Brewers dugout."   MLB.com

As far TB, despite losing McKay and Honeywell for extended stretches, they’re seemingly always one step ahead in operations across the board.

TB doesn't care if the players they trade are good or become good. The players being good and controllable is what makes them valuable  to keep the farm stocked and also get good pieces in return and usually younger controllable pieces. As long as they keep winning that is how they will do business.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree that getting on base is very important. However, having an OBP of .400 doesn't make a guy one of the 10 to 15 best players in baseball.

His OBP and defensive ability have made him a top 20 player in the sport despite not hitting for enough power. He's really good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree that getting on base is very important. However, having an OBP of .400 doesn't make a guy one of the 10 to 15 best players in baseball.

Yoan is really, really good. He’s easily in that conversation. 

9 hours ago, RTC said:

Totally agree.  And I wish the Sox would behave like this and I’m not sure, based on their apparent budget, that they don’t NEED to. The problem is that it takes balls that either:

- most teams don’t have or

- most fan bases can’t tolerate

Rays seem to be super unique and have set expectations. 

They do need to. Their actions in the past usually has been acquiring veteran talent that greatly disappoints and their appearances in the playoffs never last beyond one season. If they could be as smart as TB and set up the infrastructure to support it with a bigger budget than TB they could be more successful than TB.

The one thing that has eluded TB is because of budget they usually can't acquire that one expensive piece that might win them a World Series. But you cannot argue with the rest of the results. Even the Dodgers had a hard time winning the World Series while continually making the playoffs and they have all the money in the world to spend.

As far as fans rioting, as was said in another post, or fans not tolerating it, as you said ,as long as you keep putting a winning product on the field fans opinions should mean nothing. So what if a few hundred loudmouths who know nothing about running a successful baseball franchise make  noise on Twitter . Winning quiets them . In the Sox case that noise has always been warranted because the Sox have shown they also don't know how to run a successful MLB franchise. A profitable one , yes, a winning one , no.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, Quin said:

He may hit left handed, but not the right type of left handed.

Yoan pisses me off at times too. He’s not a perfect player. But he’s incredibly talented and hopefully the best is still in front of him. We’ve seen already seen a 45 day stretch this season of him being extremely elite. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

His OBP and defensive ability have made him a top 20 player in the sport despite not hitting for enough power. He's really good. 

Jimmy:  Top 20 is a pretty high ranking but I agree he's really good. I assume you would rank him as the best player on the White Sox?. 

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

So are we trading the road block that is Yoan to make room for Jake Burger yet? 

Who knows what everyone's value will be in a couple of years. A couple of months ago, a lot of people would be laughing if someone said the cost of a player that could help the team win was Collins or Burger. At some point, all these guys are going to start making significant money at the same time. They may wind up trading off a piece or two if guys like Burger, Cespedes or Colas show they are capable.

16 minutes ago, Baron said:

So are we trading the road block that is Yoan to make room for Jake Burger yet? 

Look, as someone that lived in Missouri for 6 years, the likelihood that Jake Burger writes a bop in the same stratosphere as Desastre Personal is next to 0.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Never ? What would you call what they did with Adames ? Is it not close enough to the deadline to include that trade that was made on 5/21/2021 ?

A few days earlier they traded Hunter Strickland to the Angels. Now he wasn't a youngster but he had a 1.69 ERA for TB  before he was traded. He's had a decent career and pitched in 2 World Series. Adames was traded to Milwaukee lessening the chance that Adames will come back to bite them in the ass and Strickland to the Angels so same thing applies.

It's also important to note that these 2 in season trades where made in concert with one another. The Strickland trade was made May 17th and the Adames trade 5/21. They were probably close on the Adames trade that netted them Steckenrider, a reliever just as good and younger and controllable and another younger controllable pitcher for the minors which allowed them to trade Strickland.

When you are deep you can do these things and their budget necessitates them doing it.

If you are as successful as TB your fan base may not riot and learn to trust you.  The Chicago White Sox fan base doesn't trust that our ownership works in the best interest of the team while on a tight budget.

Unless you are equating Hunter Stickland, a 32 year old journeyman reliever who has been with now three teams this year, making $1.6 million, and a free agent after this season to Yoan Moncada, I don't see the comparison here. To my eye this is closer to the Sox trading Evan Marshall than Yoan Moncada.

9 hours ago, RTC said:

Totally agree.  And I wish the Sox would behave like this and I’m not sure, based on their apparent budget, that they don’t NEED to. The problem is that it takes balls that either:

- most teams don’t have or

- most fan bases can’t tolerate

Rays seem to be super unique and have set expectations. 

Rays fans are used to the revolving door. it is uncomfortable for most other  fans to consider living like that. Yet an acknowledgment has been made by most Rays fans that this is a necessity for that franchise to be doing. And you know, it is pretty smart anyway. If you can get yourself to root for the laundry instead of falling in love with players. Incidentally I have always been this way and it is pretty easy and stress free. But most fans love players and become loyal to them more than laundry half the time. People are different. But you know, a mercenary organization intent on being efficient with assets instead of sentimental can thrive pretty well as we have seen.  This should be the Sox MO given the self imposed financial limits of the franchise. Something tells me the way while they have finally (FINALLY) gone all in on actual young and premium type talent like the other big time clubs, they still won’t be willing to pay up on most of it when the time comes for second contracts when they become hot property and subject to free market forces. Cool by me, get the trade machine up and running. They  will never tell us that’s this is the long term plan, but a lot of fans that get sentimental about players should be ready.

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Rays fans are used to the revolving door. it is uncomfortable for most other  fans to consider living like that. Yet an acknowledgment has been made by most Rays fans that this is a necessity for that franchise to be doing. And you know, it is pretty smart anyway. If you can get yourself to root for the laundry instead of falling in love with players. Incidentally I have always been this way and it is pretty easy and stress free. But most fans love players and become loyal to them more than laundry half the time. People are different. But you know, a mercenary organization intent on being efficient with assets instead of sentimental can thrive pretty well as we have seen.  This should be the Sox MO given the self imposed financial limits of the franchise. Something tells me the way while they have finally (FINALLY) gone all in on actual young and premium type talent like the other big time clubs, they still won’t be willing to pay up on most of it when the time comes for second contracts when they become hot property and subject to free market forces. Cool by me, get the trade machine up and running. They  will never tell us that’s this is the long term plan, but a lot of fans that get sentimental about players should be ready.

It is also worth noting that Tampa has the 2nd worst fan base in baseball, and doesn't show up to games anyway, so there aren't any real consequences for them anyway.

The Sox are not and will not be the rays.  This is long play by the organization here, they have stocked their minors and are awesome at scouting.  They trade people like Adames because they can replace him immediately.  The Sox aren't gonna do that by trading someone off the major league roster today. 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Sox are not and will not be the rays.  This is long play by the organization here, they have stocked their minors and are awesome at scouting.  They trade people like Adames because they can replace him immediately.  The Sox aren't gonna do that by trading someone off the major league roster today. 

Also the white Sox have built a very good team and even the rays would struggle with 5 outfield injuries and a starting 2B out.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Back to business..

Can we go get Trevor Story/Blackmon? That's my passion right there. 

Anyyyyy chance at all of that??

Blackmon kind of sucks now and is still due a boatload of money in 22 and 23.  Don't think he's an option. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic