Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Blackmon kind of sucks now and is still due a boatload of money in 22 and 23.  Don't think he's an option. 

Shit. I had no idea he is signed for 2 more years. I got it mixed up.

Yeah, that's pretty awful. He should basically come free. 

Still... maybe that makes it even more worthwhile as we can grab him and Story for practically nothing! 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Blackmon kind of sucks now and is still due a boatload of money in 22 and 23.  Don't think he's an option. 

Also a no from me on Blackmon. He is declining and owed a pile of money moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'm guessing this part is why iWIN was suggesting throwing Blackmon in this trade to reduce the prospect cost to get Story. I could see Colorado being very interested in moving these two together to get Charlie's contract off the books.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Shit. I had no idea he is signed for 2 more years. I got it mixed up.

Yeah, that's pretty awful. He should basically come free. 

Still... maybe that makes it even more worthwhile as we can grab him and Story for practically nothing! 

I’d rather spend that money on a legit OF this offseason. 

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'm guessing this part is why iWIN was suggesting throwing Blackmon in this trade to reduce the prospect cost to get Story. I could see Colorado being very interested in moving these two together to get Charlie's contract off the books.

Seems like a poor allocation of resources for a penny pinching org like the Sox. 

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Also the white Sox have built a very good team and even the rays would struggle with 5 outfield injuries and a starting 2B out.

The Rays signed Avi Garcia for what, less than half of what the White Sox are paying Eaton?

They are also currently missing Glasgow, Yondy Chirinos, Josh Fleming, and Chris Archer from their starting rotation, interestingly enough.

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Sox are not and will not be the rays.  This is long play by the organization here, they have stocked their minors and are awesome at scouting.  They trade people like Adames because they can replace him immediately.  The Sox aren't gonna do that by trading someone off the major league roster today. 

We’ll see what happens when it is time to pay up. Can see them paying Giolito, but when Kopech becomes a 20 game winner and wants 300 million. And Robert.  And Eloy. We already know they won’t  pay Rodon.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The Rays signed Avi Garcia for what, less than half of what the White Sox are paying Eaton?

They are also currently missing Glasgow, Yondy Chirinos, and Chris Archer from their starting rotation, interestingly enough.

Avi is on the Brewers. Not sure how that is relevant. And Glasnow has missed what - 3 starts to date? Sucks moving forward for them but it hasn’t had an impact like Eloy or Luis. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

They are also currently missing Glasgow, Yondy Chirinos, and Chris Archer from their starting rotation, interestingly enough.

Tampa Bay L10: 4-6

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Avi is on the Brewers. Not sure how that is relevant. And Glasnow has missed what - 3 starts to date? Sucks moving forward for them but it hasn’t had an impact like Eloy or Luis. 

Oh and I missed McHugh on the COVID IL. They have ~ 5 starters on the IL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

We’ll see what happens when it is time to pay up. Can see them paying Giolito, but when Kopech becomes a 20 game winner and wants 300 million. And Robert.  And Eloy. We already know they won’t  pay Rodon.

This is irrelevant to what we are talking about here though.  We aren't talking about future payroll, we are talking about making this team stronger now and people are talking about trading off the major league roster while also saying the minors are weak.  Come on now 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is irrelevant to what we are talking about here though.  We aren't talking about future payroll, we are talking about making this team stronger now and people are talking about trading off the major league roster while also saying the minors are weak.  Come on now 

You’ve been around here long enough to know that heading into the deadline and the first month of the offseason are when the worst trade proposals are made.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They are also currently missing Glasgow, Yondy Chirinos, Josh Fleming, and Chris Archer from their starting rotation, interestingly enough.

The Brewers signed Avi for 2/20.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

You’ve been around here long enough to know that heading into the deadline and the first month of the offseason are when the worst trade proposals are made.

Doesn't mean I can't acknowledge absurdity 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Hey and it only took one losing streak for people to start calling the rebuild a failure too. Right on schedule. 

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If you were following the particulars of the conversation, there were no real trade proposals, just hypotheticals to challenge people on their perceptions of certain players being untouchable.

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Sox are not and will not be the rays.  This is long play by the organization here, they have stocked their minors and are awesome at scouting.  They trade people like Adames because they can replace him immediately.  The Sox aren't gonna do that by trading someone off the major league roster today. 

If Jerry isn't going to spend to get proper depth at the MLB level and fill holes with actual MLB quality players, then they absolutely should be. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Jimmy:  Top 20 is a pretty high ranking but I agree he's really good. I assume you would rank him as the best player on the White Sox?. 

He's the best player on the team, yes. He's a top 20 player in the league in fWAR. Gonna put up a 5 WAR season. 

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Brewers signed Avi for 2/20.  

After he spent one underpaid year with the Rays?

Thats the difference. The Rays sign guys with injury histories to minor contracts and play them part time to keep them healthy. Other franchises sign the same guys for twice that amount, play hem everyday, and then are shocked, shocked when they have a bunch of injuries.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Jerry isn't going to spend to get proper depth at the MLB level and fill holes with actual MLB quality players, then they absolutely should be. 

Jack it's not gonna happen and right now it absolutely should not happen.  This would be something you decide on in 2016 at the beginning,  not something you decide on the fly in 2021 because half of your offensive core has freak injuries.  

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

After he spent one underpaid year with the Rays?

Thats the difference. The Rays sign guys with injury histories to minor contracts and play them part time to keep them healthy. Other franchises sign the same guys for twice that amount, play hem everyday, and then are shocked, shocked when they have a bunch of injuries.

His year with the rays was one year 7M.

please explain the huge difference between that and Adam Eatons one year 8 million dollar contract.  Also, avi missed almost forty games that year.  That's not keeping him part time, that's injury 

fuck man, do you even research anymore 

• Fire 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic