Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

Just now, knightni said:

You think Cincy would trade Tyler Naquin for prospects?

They have an outfield glut right now and could probably use the pitching help.

1 game over .500 for them, 6.5 back in the wild card, 6 in the division? I feel like they'd be much more likely to wait until the actual deadline before that. Naquin has to have some time under control remaining too right?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Player days on the IL this year:

Tampa Bay Rays: 961, 24 players.
Chicago White Sox: 541, 14 players.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/disabled-list/cumulative-team/

You want a really terrifying number? The Rays have had more money on the IL (player days x how much they're paid during that time) than the White Sox. The White Sox's injuries have hit more key guys/cost them more WAR, but still behind the Mets in that accounting...and still not exactly surprising with the guys who have gotten hurt being guys with injury histories.

Sounds like the Rays should fire their training staff, as they don't have vision.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Player days on the IL this year:

Tampa Bay Rays: 961, 24 players.
Chicago White Sox: 541, 14 players.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/disabled-list/cumulative-team/

You want a really terrifying number? The Rays have had more money on the IL (player days x how much they're paid during that time) than the White Sox. The White Sox's injuries have hit more key guys/cost them more WAR, but still behind the Mets in that accounting...and still not exactly surprising with the guys who have gotten hurt being guys with injury histories.

So you're making my point that the Sox have lost more. Also, the Mets had DeGrom, Conforto, McNeil, Alonso, Walker & Pillar on the DL. They have all returned recently. Nimmo is rehabbing. Sox will be without Madrigal the rest of the year. Robert and Eloy more weeks. 

It's all about the quality of players lost. The Sox losing three cost controlled starts who would have combined for 10-20 WAR if all healthy isn't negated by the fact that they're not expensive right now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Anyone think the delay might have had to do with Jerry's wife and things possibly being held up due to that? It's as logical of a reason as anything.

They probably have to get his OK for the money, and he probably isn't that accessible right now, so it is possible. 

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I would assume they've already been given the greenlight to "eat" $4 mill.

Unless the deal involves taking on another contract that JR needs to sign off on, I would tend to agree.  Who knows at this point, it all could just be smokescreen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I would assume they've already been given the greenlight to "eat" $4 mill.

It's probably a little tricky. They probably know they are going to need more than Escobar. I am sure they hope they can stay above water as long as possible to give the injured a shot at returning, but more players is taking on more money. Taking all of Escobar's contract probably gets it done, but i don't think the Sox want to hamstring other moves by eating it. 

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They probably have to get his OK for the money, and he probably isn't that accessible right now, so it is possible. 

Madrigal was ruled out for the season two weeks ago. If they couldn't get things together to get JR's approval to take on salary before his wife died yesterday then they are incompetent.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Anyone think the delay might have had to do with Jerry's wife and things possibly being held up due to that? It's as logical of a reason as anything.

I am guessing the decision on whether they can afford EE has already been made at the upper management level, and now it is the lower level decision of deciding if they can get a deal done or not.

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am guessing the decision on whether they can afford EE has already been made at the upper management level, and now it is the lower level decision of deciding if they can get a deal done or not.

Correct. If a death in the family stopped the franchise from doing business in a timely manner, that would signal a problem with delegation. Not a good way to run a business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The hold up was Escobar getting hurt.

Also, it's unclear what's going on with the AZ front office in general. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The hold up was Escobar getting hurt.

Also, it's unclear what's going on with the AZ front office in general. 

The basic Escobar deal is probably set. The extra bits we have heard about could be for an expanded deal for the outfielder. Or just a deal for the outfielder  by itself. Waiting to clear the decks on that possibility. 

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic