Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Plz do not go and get career half year adam frazier or subpar Escobar.

Go after Starlin Marte or Charlie Blackmon/Story or some other star.

How can other teams acquire star rentals for not much, but not us? 

It's guys like you who make me wonder why I bother looking up all kinds of stats to show Escobar would become the 3rd or 4 th best hitter on the Sox both RH and LH and become our top HR hitter  only to have a guy like you call him subpar.

Yeah Starling Marte is a very good player and a rental like Escobar  But we're dealing with Reinsdorf here.  Escobar's prorated salary for 1/2 season will be somewhere around $3.8 M, Marte's will be $6.25 M. Then add in prospect cost+ salary for every deal you make for reliever's  or anyone else they get maybe your lucky if the Sox spend another $10M + 3 or 4 prospects given up .

If the Sox don't spend even that much you can be sure it was Reinsdorf insisting on teams eating money and those teams will go elsewhere.

Then we will hear Hahn say the juice wasn't worth the squeeze but it will be for other teams.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's guys like you who make me wonder why I bother looking up all kinds of stats to show Escobar would become the 3rd or 4 th best hitter on the Sox both RH and LH and become our top HR hitter  only to have a guy like you call him subpar.

Yeah Starling Marte is a very good player and a rental like Escobar  But we're dealing with Reinsdorf here.  Escobar's prorated salary for 1/2 season will be somewhere around $3.8 M, Marte's will be $6.25 M. Then add in prospect cost+ salary for every deal you make for reliever's  or anyone else they get maybe your lucky if the Sox spend another $10M + 3 or 4 prospects given up .

If the Sox don't spend even that much you can be sure it was Reinsdorf insisting on teams eating money and those teams will go elsewhere.

Then we will hear Hahn say the juice wasn't worth the squeeze but it will be for other teams.

Not to be a smart ass...this is an honest question....was the $$ ever really spent?  I guess you could argue for Grandal, Hendriks and extensions it was.  But shouldn't some of that $$ be used on them taking on some contracts so that we do not have to spend as much in prospect capital?

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Not to be a smart ass...this is an honest question....was the $$ ever really spent?  I guess you could argue for Grandal, Hendriks and extensions it was.  But shouldn't some of that $$ be used on them taking on some contracts so that we do not have to spend as much in prospect capital?

You would hope.  That’s how a dynasty is built

33 minutes ago, wegner said:

That's a legit question. The rebuild started in a non Covid year and Covid provided a built in or legit excuses not to spend capital without getting any in since fans were no longer footing their share of Sox expenses.

To show this was a problem and the owners were getting squeezed they sent out releases saying how much they lost. What did it ultimately shake out too ? $100M per team in losses ? Then to offset those losses they cut out teams from the minor leagues, they fired employees . I mean you remember all this right ?

Finally after all this ,starting 6/25  for the Sox, 100% capacity is being let into G-Rate Field. So we're not exactly talking about Situational Normal All Fucked UP (SNAFU) we're talking about Situation ABNORMAL  all Fucked UP.

Plus if you thought that was the case  why were they so cheap in the off season ? Anyway you can drive yourself crazy thinking about this shit. With Jerry it's always will he or won't he ? The message I get most of the time is nope, he won't.

The last 2 times we had to ask that,  which was the off season and last season trade deadline. the answer was nope, he wont.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

None of us know if JR will or won't authorize substantial money to pick up quality reinforcements.  In my own mind, I think we will get some meaningful help but I don't want to wait till the end of next month for that help to arrive.  We have a 1st place team that can win the division easily with some quality replacements.  When our walking wounded return we will set up nicely for the playoffs.  The FO is just as aware of the importance to the franchise making a deep playoff run as we are.  I am thought of around here as an optimistic pro FO type fan.  Doing nothing by RH would turn me quickly into a disgruntled and anti current management type.  None of this will be lost on the FO.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

None of us know if JR will or won't authorize substantial money to pick up quality reinforcements.  In my own mind, I think we will get some meaningful help but I don't want to wait till the end of next month for that help to arrive.  We have a 1st place team that can win the division easily with some quality replacements.  When our walking wounded return we will set up nicely for the playoffs.  The FO is just as aware of the importance to the franchise making a deep playoff run as we are.  I am thought of around here as an optimistic pro FO type fan.  Doing nothing by RH would turn me quickly into a disgruntled and anti current management type.  None of this will be lost on the FO.

Can’t blame the FO if JR refuses to spend more, beyond what they already spent it on vs. alternatives.

There should be movement next month post ASB, buys time for rehab progress plus the price should be cheaper (salary and players sent) for 2 months vs. 3. 

Their cushion and their weak division  helps avoid any rash move or overspend (prospects) now.

Adam Frazier should not be, and probably isn't, the target. He is a very good lead off hitter, but the Sox have a lead off hitter. What they are missing is power, especially from the left side. Neither Moncada, nor Grandal are really well suited to bat 3RD, 4TH, or 5TH. Frazier will also be under control, beyond this season. The Sox don't need that either, and certainly aren't anxious to spend what it would cost in money and, or prospects. Where would Frazier play next year, when Madrigal, Eloy and Robert rejoin the team? The only spot on the roster that will be open is RF, which really should be filled with a LH middle of the order bat. Frazier is not even close to being that type of player. He's simply not a good fit. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The only hope is that the advanced age of both TLR and JR make all-in/win now moves this year much more likely than, say, 2024...certainly no guarantees, though.

We’re only averaging about 300 fans per game more than KC, and around 5,300 per game less than the Cubs. It feels like we will still get the usual excuses about not supporting the team enough to justify the spending.

That said, the t.v. ratings and amount charged for advertising has to have increased by a factor of 25-50%.  

Guess we can call Jeff Vuck/Nationwide to verify, haha.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn said they would have financial flexibility long before fan attendance basically returned to normal.  Either we will have plenty of money to absorb at the deadline or Jerry’s partners will be pocketing loads of cash at the end of the season.

We can't wait for the deadline. We need something ASAP. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We can't wait for the deadline. We need something ASAP. 

The only way the pressure on Hahn would increase would be the Indians going out and adding to their team somehow.

Or losing first place and/or wild card positioning between Houston, Oakland, TB, Boston... 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 2

I just don't see the White Sox trading for any major  players. Who would they trade? I heard today on the SCORE that they don't have any  of the top 100 players in the minors. I still think  they're hoping that Kopech, Jimenez and  Robert come back sooner than later.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Adam Frazier should not be, and probably isn't, the target. He is a very good lead off hitter, but the Sox have a lead off hitter. What they are missing is power, especially from the left side. Neither Moncada, nor Grandal are really well suited to bat 3RD, 4TH, or 5TH. Frazier will also be under control, beyond this season. The Sox don't need that either, and certainly aren't anxious to spend what it would cost in money and, or prospects. Where would Frazier play next year, when Madrigal, Eloy and Robert rejoin the team? The only spot on the roster that will be open is RF, which really should be filled with a LH middle of the order bat. Frazier is not even close to being that type of player. He's simply not a good fit. 

Uh?

14 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I just don't see the White Sox trading for any major  players. Who would they trade? I heard today on the SCORE that they don't have any  of the top 100 players in the minors. I still think  they're hoping that Kopech, Jimenez and  Robert come back sooner than later.

Step 1:  quit listening to LCD talk radio 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The only hope is that the advanced age of both TLR and JR make all-in/win now moves this year much more likely than, say, 2024...certainly no guarantees, though.

We’re only averaging about 300 fans per game more than KC, and around 5,300 per game less than the Cubs. It feels like we will still get the usual excuses about not supporting the team enough to justify the spending.

That said, the t.v. ratings and amount charged for advertising has to have increased by a factor of 25-50%.  

Guess we can call Jeff Vuck/Nationwide to verify, haha.

Jerry has other plans.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Well, they did graduate Robert, Kopech, Madrigal, Vaughn, etc.  Crochet was borderline depending on how he was perceived. All that said,  having a pretty barren farm system makes any moves more predicated on Sox finances than aforementioned prospect capital, or lack thereof.  Need breakthroughs from young pitching and/or Cespedes-Vera-Colas.  Burger has become quite interesting. 

38 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

We have a few guys with serious talent on the way but yeah we need to find a way to get some decent prospects. It doesn't help that guys like Collins, Rutherford, and Adolfo have not made the impact we needed. Hopefully Burger and/or Sheets can give us some pop. 

Frazier would bring some power to our line-up.

Average HR over 162 games according to Baseball reference.com:

Adam Frazier:  11

Leury Garcia:  8

They are both about 30 years old.  OK, Frazier has been pretty good this season thus far, but is he be worth trading away our younger  prospects and players?   

He doesn't fit next season when Madrigal comes back, which is part of what Lillian had said. Hahn should have got a HR banger for RF instead of Adam Eaton.

The Sox could learn from this and spend more in the off-season for bench depth and bullpen depth. Great to learn “ what could happen” I realize that we have been decimated and little to no team can compete like that but we can spend more even another 15 million in the off-season could provide more or better depth. Hope they get some help. It would show the current group that management believes in This team to invest. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, quickman said:

The Sox could learn from this and spend more in the off-season for bench depth and bullpen depth. Great to learn “ what could happen” I realize that we have been decimated and little to no team can compete like that but we can spend more even another 15 million in the off-season could provide more or better depth. Hope they get some help. It would show the current group that management believes in This team to invest. 

To be fair, it’s a miracle the Sox have weathered this as well as they have. No team can really recover from losing 2 legit preseason MVP candidates and 33% of their lineup. Not to mention all the other injuries. No one is insulated for that. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

To be fair, it’s a miracle the Sox have weathered this as well as they have. No team can really recover from losing 2 legit preseason MVP candidates and 33% of their lineup. Not to mention all the other injuries. No one is insulated for that. 

Luis had 1 home run and wasn't anywhere near MVP during season. Yermin gave us about a month and a half of Eloy production and Lamb has hit a little. Not to mention a lot of good players have been hurt around the league. Couple this with playing in a weak division we are actually fortunate. If we played in the AL East or West we would be in third place most likely. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, quickman said:

Disagree on more bullpen help. Coming into the season we were widely regarded as having a top 5 pen, and IMO a top 2 or 3 pen.

They made poor moves on the offensive side. Adam Eaton signing was almost a universal frowned upon move. Then not doing ANYTHING to improve the offensive depth/bench because of $$$$ issues was absolutely boneheaded and greedy. 

• Fire 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic