Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

On 6/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, Jerksticks said:

Schwarber is one of the worst baseball players in the game today.  Has a monster game every once in a while to make you forget the previous 1/20

I mean, just an all-time take by Jerksticks here. The timing was ELECTRIC. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Jerksticks is always quick with the hot takes, but typically lacking in the analysis to back up aforementioned provocations. 

Not gonna disagree.  The fun ends after the taek.  

But I still think Schwarber is a horrible horrible baseball player.  He put up like 5WAR over his first 6 years.  

Let’s not pretend he is actually a good player.  

12 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

But I still think Schwarber is a horrible horrible baseball player.  He put up like 5WAR over his first 6 years.  

Honestly the only number that the Sox should care about is that career 116 OPS+, and his huge split advantage vs RHP. The Sox won't be trying to get defense out him, so WAR doesn't matter. Slot him at DH and let him rek righties

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly the only number that the Sox should care about is that career 116 OPS+, and his huge split advantage vs RHP. The Sox won't be trying to get defense out him, so WAR doesn't matter. Slot him at DH and let him rek righties

I could agree to strict platoon DH, no fielding ever, no lefties ever.  He’s completely useless at fielding and hitting lefties.  

But is his contract cheap enough for that 1 dimension.  I dunno.  

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I mean, just an all-time take by Jerksticks here. The timing was ELECTRIC. 

I'm afraid Schwarber's hot streak and the Nats winning recently might mean he's not going to be available. 

19 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Sure, but we desperately need “proven” power...especially with the middle of the order struggling to drive the ball and seemingly pressing or just not physically right (Abreu).

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rek?  Is that a cool new term for cutting and slashing?

4 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Luis had 1 home run and wasn't anywhere near MVP during season. Yermin gave us about a month and a half of Eloy production and Lamb has hit a little. Not to mention a lot of good players have been hurt around the league. Couple this with playing in a weak division we are actually fortunate. If we played in the AL East or West we would be in third place most likely. 

I said preseason Mcp candidates. Luis is easily one of the best handful of OF in the AL with ginormous upside. 

Is the august waiver trade stuff all dead permanently still?  There have been so many rule changes over the last 3 or 4 years I can't keep track of them all.  I think so but I hope not.  If it is gone then they need to bring it back.  It was great for baseball IMO and it is especially necessary this year.  Sooooo many injuries.  Teams will trade for players in July and then those players won't have hamstrings anymore by the end of August.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I said preseason Mcp candidates. Luis is easily one of the best handful of OF in the AL with ginormous upside. 

Sure, but hard to predict after the end of the season slump he went through.  One month in, it was mostly comps with Trout...unfair, of course.

7 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Is the august waiver trade stuff all dead permanently still?  There have been so many rule changes over the last 3 or 4 years I can't keep track of them all.  I think so but I hope not.  If it is gone then they need to bring it back.  It was great for baseball IMO and it is especially necessary this year.  Sooooo many injuries.  Teams will trade for players in July and then those players won't have hamstrings anymore by the end of August.

I think it would be better to just extend the trade deadline to either mid or end of August. You couldn't just freely trade in the waiver period anyway.

3 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Btw......is there any news on the Escobar or any other trade front OR even any news on Eaton, BH, and Michael Kopech???

Well according to NSC it was supposed to be done "in the next few days" around 10 days ago...so nothing new other than Bob and Heyman saying the Sox are interested, which isn't really new. 

12 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Well according to NSC it was supposed to be done "in the next few days" around 10 days ago...so nothing new other than Bob and Heyman saying the Sox are interested, which isn't really new. 

And then deleted the posts...

14 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I believe that deadline remains dead. You can claim players on waivers in August and have them get on your playoff roster, but you cannot arrange trades for guys being passed through waivers.

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

In my opinion, on June 25th, passive is the right call. 

IMO, this lineup needs the help way more over the next month than they are likely to at the trade deadline since some people will be returning or close to it by that time, so you'd get way more value out of an offensive contributor over the next few weeks than you would by waiting. The need right now actually justifies paying more. Unless for some reason you thought there was a high chance of your starting pitching falling apart, that is.

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic