6/16 Rays @ Sox, 1:10 CT

5 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Engel sits again for no reason, another TLR moment of brilliance! 

Engel sits as was pointed out on the previous page because of medical staff guidance.  I loathe TLR but that isn't on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

I think this team is starting to figure it out grandal average doesn’t matter when his ops is so high. Abreu is papa pito I expect him to start hitting soon and Vaughn has so much talent I have no worries about him and the rookie wall. 

Look I understand that you have no use for Mercedes but still having confidence in Vaughn makes no sense given  your arguments against Mercedes. Have you checked Vaughn's stats against RHP lately ? They are Billy Hamilton bad against RHP and Hamilton provides value on the base paths and in the OF that Vaughn does not . As of now Vaughn is a huge liability against RHP just as Mercedes is.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Look I understand that you have no use for Mercedes but still having confidence in Vaughn makes no sense given  your arguments against Mercedes. Have you checked Vaughn's stats against RHP lately ? They are Billy Hamilton bad against RHP and Hamilton provides value on the base paths and in the OF that Vaughn does not . As of now Vaughn is a huge liability against RHP just as Mercedes is.

The difference is Vaughn has a future on this team. Can play multiple positions and has tons of talent. You can’t complain when I talk about him but also complain when I don’t. Don’t get mad because I specifically don’t talk about yermin. I think most baseball people would say it’s smart to have more faith in vaugh then yermin at this point.  Anyone saying Mercedes is as valuable at this point as Vaughn is lying because they like him. Once again though tried not to mention him and look what happens.

Edited by Greydawgfan1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

The difference is Vaughn has a future on this team. Can play multiple positions and has tons of talent. You can’t complain when I talk about him but also complain when I don’t. Don’t get mad because I specifically don’t talk about yermin. I think most baseball people would say it’s smart to have more faith in vaugh then yermin at this point.  Anyone saying Mercedes is as valuable at this point as Vaughn is lying because they like him. Once again though tried not to mention him and look what happens.

For the future I agree but as for the present your faith in Vaughn is misguided. There are too few left handed pitchers to face to play him very often.

Just now, Greydawgfan1 said:

Shouldn’t the guy who can’t play a position be sent down? We need Vaughn for left/dh 

Yes but I want him in the lineup every day. If he's going to sit on the bench ~70% of the time, he might as well go play every day in the minors.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Then send him to the minors. No point of him only playing against lefties.

I think there is a point playing him against LHP and some RHP that the Sox might feel he matches up well against. He hits LHP as of now for 1.000 OPS which is the  best on the team so whenever you can get that type of production he should be used especially asa starter and the top pinch hitter against LHP.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think there is a point playing him against LHP and some RHP that the Sox might feel he matches up well against. He hits LHP as of now for 1.000 OPS which is the  best on the team so whenever you can get that type of production he should be used especially asa starter and the top pinch hitter against LHP.

Bat him in the middle of the order against lefties, bat him down lower against most righties, sit him against the guys that are at the top of the position. 

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Once the Tampa/Houston week is over, there is a long stretch against bad teams and Vaughn should play every day to try to get up to speed.

We've already played a bunch of games against bad teams. But I agree  Vaughn and Mercedes should be afforded an opportunity against bad teams to face MLB teams. I know many people here hate the Sunday lineup but every day is a Sunday lineup when you have 3 regulars out .

Like Steve Stone said it is counterintuitive to what most think about winning and losing. When you are hot or facing bad teams it's probably the time to rest key players and give slumping players some starts.

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I wonder if the Sox are taking the chance to limit Kopech's innings with taking their time with bringing him back?

That's a definitive yes. Doesn't hurt to sit him longer than necessary to limit IP and make sure he is 100% healthy. As long as the Sox keep a stranglehold on winning the division keeping all pitchers healthy is a priority.