6/16 Rays @ Sox, 1:10 CT

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I didn't think he played bad.. just was a lefty on the mound and Engel's OPS vs lefties been nice the last two years.

But they were playing it safe evidently.

Wasn't criticizing your thinking at all... I get wanting to have Engel in there.  I just wanted to point out GoodWin has looked pretty solid up there.

3 minutes ago, MikeKreevich said:

Came here to read the Tony hate I figured I would find.  I found plenty starting at about page 39.   No one criticizing his decisions has returned to give him any credit.

Not only did the Sox win a huge confidence game but Marshall and Burr came away feeling really good about themselves.

Great one for Burr especially.  The Heuer mystery continues.  Great stuff, gets hit.  Wild in the strike zone?

12 minutes ago, MikeKreevich said:

Came here to read the Tony hate I figured I would find.  I found plenty starting at about page 39.   No one criticizing his decisions has returned to give him any credit.

Not only did the Sox win a huge confidence game but Marshall and Burr came away feeling really good about themselves.

lol really.... you came here to read for tony hate?

That is your goal after a big series win?

yeah my bad - tony pulled all the right strings with the bullpen up 7-2

Don't know what I was thinking - thanks for putting us in our place.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

When your post blows up in your face...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

Scrolled through 39 pages

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Great one for Burr especially.  The Heuer mystery continues.  Great stuff, gets hit.  Wild in the strike zone?

Eaxctly. He has been wild in the zone . I think he had the 1st 2 guys down 0-2 then Collins sat outside on the 0-2 that shoud ve been a slider off the plate outside and he got it inside and it was whacked for a hit. Missed his spot again on either an 0-2 or 1-2 count . Collins sat outside agiin and he threw it pretty much down the middle or a bit inside again. Totally missed his spots and was hurt by it.

Some wanted to blame Collins and his pitch calling but it's very hard to do that unless you notice on every pitch if the pitcher shook Collins off. The camera doesn't focus on the pitchers face before every pitch so it's hard to know for sure. Ultimately it comes down to not executing the pitches that were settled on.

Kind of like when Vaughn struck out because the ump screwed him people got mad at TLR for not going out there and yelling at the ump which he has shown he doesn't do because it won't change anything . I know we as fans don't like TLR but since the Mercedes incident some would like to see LaRusssa make a public display of support for his guys. That makes sense of course but it's also a part of the anti TLR sentiment.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

100% in agreement. It is inexplicable thatEngel was not playing today against a lefty, with his superior defense as well. Particularly on the rubber game with the #1 team in baseball.

It was made clear before the game that it was a medical staff decision.  

2 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

You want fans to credit him for not using his best reliever?  Or how wonderfully he managed the bullpen?  Good luck with that.  The players won despite him again but keep on keepin on. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I was very tired so went to bed after the 5th inning. Sad I missed the exciting ending live, but enjoyed the condensed game.

Nice to see Collins continue to do well both behind the plate guiding Rodon and Lucas, and at the plate moving his OPS to just under .700 after a poor May (.938 in June). Garcia's pick at third in the fifth was excellent as well.

On to Houston, should be another fun series to watch. I have a hunch Tim is going to earn some pasta this weekend, ending a long drought (1 since May 13), despite not having the best numbers there (.522 OPS, 1 HR 52 ABs).

37 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

You want fans to credit him for not using his best reliever?  Or how wonderfully he managed the bullpen?  Good luck with that.  The players won despite him again but keep on keepin on. 

Liam was also up against it from an availability standpoint.  There was no chance of a 4 out save and it sounded like TLR would have been hesitant to use him even in a save situation. That said, going to Marshall there was just cuckoo.  Someone said Marshall had the advantage because of his offspeed stuff against that part of the Rays' lineup -- maybe, but, still just leave Bummer in no reason to overthink it.  That is classic Ricky, something TLR doesn't do very often.

And of course Burr looked decent in the 10th surprising us all and Liam got the day off with a little side session I guess.  I dunno, they got the win, somehow.  TLR made some mistakes with the pen, but all managers do and hard to argue with what he's getting out of the everyday players with half of the stars injured. Him going to the bench early and often helped set the tone for the total team effort we are seeing now.  The pixie dust will probably regress at some point  --th Sox prolly aren't gonna win 102 games like they are on pace --  but so far so good.

Hard to believe but .500 from this point on gets them 90-72.

Managers don't make pens look great.  Pens make managers look great, if they're lucky enough to have a few studs around.  I took a look at the replay of the HR against Heuer.  Centered at the thighs with the catcher set up outside.  Maybe if Codi walked a few more batters he'd get hit less.

• Like 1