Hahn: Too early to know if Sox will be buyers

southsider2k5

Could simply be posturing, in order not to lose too much leverage in bargaining. It also shows confidence in the guys on the roster. There is no point letting the other GM's know that you're desperate for reinforcements, not that it's any secret.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 4

Oh we have another Hahn catch phrase to throw around : “We’ve talked all along about making sure the juice is worth the squeeze. The juice this year may be a team that’s capable of winning it all. That’s pretty big juice. Is the squeeze going to be worth it to increase those chances?”

Is the juice worth the squeeze ?

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Could simply be posturing, in order not to lose too much leverage in bargaining. 

Definitely. As my old man used to say  " Who does he think he is kidding" or "You can't bullshit a bullshitter".

I find it highly unlikely that they went through the rebuild only to decide at every trade deadline that they won't do anything.

Of course they proved me wrong last year by not doing anything and surprisingly fans bought it as "we weren't ready" . This is the biggest carrying water for management BS I have ever seen.

There is no excuse not to make every effort to improve a playoff caliber team into a World Series type team or at least at capable of advancing a round or 2. I'll always wonder how much more Texas was asking  before the trade deadline last year and what they eventually settled on for Lynn.

The Sox have needs in the BP and on the field . The only thing stopping the Sox from making deals would be Reinsdorf.

The starting pitching staff is the best and cheapest it will ever be. This year is possibly the Sox best chance to win the World Series in the window because we are already nearly halfway there. Get the pieces you need and quit screwing around with the fans heads and pocketbooks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If Eloy and Robert come back close to full strength,

If Engel, Mendick and Vaughn continue to show progress,

If Kopech picks up where he left off, and the bullpen improves..

Then ,OK, no drastic need to acquire more players at this point.

But those are all big "Ifs."

So, assuming all that works out, you have Eloy, Engel and Robert in the outfield,

Moncada, TA, Mendick, Abreu in the infield with Yaz catching, Vaughn as the DH

Leury and Billy on the bench.

Arguably that could work...if everyone remains healthy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Could simply be posturing, in order not to lose too much leverage in bargaining. It also shows confidence in the guys on the roster. There is no point letting the other GM's know that you're desperate for reinforcements, not that it's any secret.

It is. We are buyers in years where we are mired in mediocrity. No way they let this chance go by without adding. They don't need any stars, they just need a few guys to carry weight. A second baseman and a real solid bullpen arm would do the trick. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh we have another Hahn catch phrase to throw around : “We’ve talked all along about making sure the juice is worth the squeeze. The juice this year may be a team that’s capable of winning it all. That’s pretty big juice. Is the squeeze going to be worth it to increase those chances?”

Is the juice worth the squeeze ?

Definitely. As my old man used to say  " Who does he think he is kidding" or "You can't bullshit a bullshitter".

I find it highly unlikely that they went through the rebuild only to decide at every trade deadline that they won't do anything.

Of course they proved me wrong last year by not doing anything and surprisingly fans bought it as "we weren't ready" . This is the biggest carrying water for management BS I have ever seen.

There is no excuse not to make every effort to improve a playoff caliber team into a World Series type team or at least at capable of advancing a round or 2. I'll always wonder how much more Texas was asking  before the trade deadline last year and what they eventually settled on for Lynn.

The Sox have needs in the BP and on the field . The only thing stopping the Sox from making deals would be Reinsdorf.

The starting pitching staff is the best and cheapest it will ever be. This year is possibly the Sox best chance to win the World Series in the window because we are already nearly halfway there. Get the pieces you need and quit screwing around with the fans heads and pocketbooks.

I agree, 100%. Moreover, La Russa was brought in to take this team to the World Series. I'm sure that Tony will be lobbying hard for whatever additions, he feels they need.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It is. We are buyers in years where we are mired in mediocrity. No way they let this chance go by without adding. They don't need any stars, they just need a few guys to carry weight. A second baseman and a real solid bullpen arm would do the trick. 

Agreed.  I'd prioritize a RF over a 2b, though, as that will be a need even if/when all our players return from injury.  I'm also a Mendick believer, and don't think the drop-off from Madrigal will be all that dramatic.  That said, if a great 2b opportunity presents itself go for it.

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Agreed.  I'd prioritize a RF over a 2b, though, as that will be a need even if/when all our players return from injury.  I'm also a Mendick believer, and don't think the drop-off from Madrigal will be all that dramatic.  That said, if a great 2b opportunity presents itself go for it.

This is why Frazier fits so well, can cover both positions and is left handed and has control beyond this year.

So, we know the following players have a place on the roster when healthy:

Grandal, Collins, Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Engel, Vaughn

That leaves three spots. How many of Mercedes, Mendick, Lamb, Hamilton, Goodwin, Eaton do you keep? If you're going to get an outfielder, it has to be a lefty and has to be certain to outproduce all of Hamilton, Lamb, Goodwin and Eaton to justify getting rid of all of them. If you're going to get an infielder, it has to outproduce a Mendick/Leury platoon. I think the IF option is more likely. I don't see an OF acquisition barring further injury. One of Lamb/Hamilton/Goodwin/Eaton will make a viable platoon partner for Engel, and a trade for a 2B is made, then Leury also becomes an OF option.

On the pitching side, the five starters plus Hendriks, Bummer, Crochet, Kopech and Marshall are not going anywhere. That leaves Heuer, Fry, Foster, Ruiz, Burr for three spots. I could see a bullpen acquisition to fill one of the three remaining spots.

Hahn is technically correct in that it's too soon to know if the Sox will be "buyers" without knowing the price, but it's not too soon to know that the Sox will at least be "shoppers" for a 2B and RP.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

How much do you give up for Frazier? One of Sheets/Burger + one of Stiever/Thompson?

The Cubs gave up two bums to acquire Castellanos who is much better than Frazier. While Frazier has one more year of control, I don't think you'd have to give up anything but complete wild cards for Frazier.

• Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Cubs gave up two bums to acquire Castellanos who is much better than Frazier. While Frazier has one more year of control, I don't think you'd have to give up anything but complete wild cards for Frazier.

If that's honestly all it would take the trade should be made today, and Hahn should be looking for someone who would take Eaton and pay 1/2 of his remaining salary. I'm skeptical that it won't take more, though.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Don't overpay for a rental.

Kelley could be beyond the window years away from contributing if he ever does. Stiever , Dahlquist, Thompson , Sheets, Adolfo, Rutherford, Lambert Burger. Do any of these guys excite anyone  for the near future window ?

The problem the Sox face is actually deciding who among the lower level prospects on the rise in the organization are worth trading because those are the guys the other teams will want and who among Stiever , Kelley, Thompson, Dahlquist and Lambert they will part with  since pitching is always in demand.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kelley could be beyond the window years away from contributing if he ever does. Stiever , Dahlquist, Thompson , Sheets, Adolfo, Rutherford, Lambert Burger. Do any of these guys excite anyone  for the near future window ?

The problem the Sox face is actually deciding who among the lower level prospects on the rise in the organization are worth trading because those are the guys the other teams will want and who among Stiever , Kelley, Thompson, Dahlquist and Lambert they will part with  since pitching is always in demand.

The Vera, Dalquist, Kelley, Thompson crowd is the second wave.  They are the ones who come in after guys fall off, or leave.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Castellanos was practically a bust prior to going to the Cubs.