Hahn: Too early to know if Sox will be buyers

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I haven't looked up the D numbers,  but by the eye test, I feel like Vaughn has been a better LF for sure.

Easily.  Eloy is impressively -16 runs in about 160 games in LF.  Vaughn is on pace for about -7 over 160 games.  It's position adjusted so you get a ding for starting in LF but Eloy is a very bad LF.  Vaughn is probably about average relative to other LF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I was Hahn I'd seriously look at Cole Hamels. Weren't we talking to him a few off-seasons ago? He's familiar with Chicago. Wants to join a winning team. He then allows even more inning flexibility with our rotation and keeps our arms fresh for what is the important part of the year - September and October. The Sox could adopt a 6 man rotation, or, go the route of the Dodgers and make up IL stints for each of our guys giving them 2-3 turns off through the rotation each. HIs acquisition cost is just $$, no prospects, and he helps the team not just this year, but next year when these guys innings were limited. Next year you're talking all of these guys PLUS playoff innings logged on their arms ...

It seems like a luxury, but all things considered a signing like that could go a long way not only for the stretch run this year, but next year as well. 

Outside of that, I mean, you'd have to think that at least one, if not more Diamondbacks will be on this roster. TLR knows who he likes over there, and that will make its way to Hahn and you'll have someone on this team. 

16 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

If I was Hahn I'd seriously look at Cole Hamels. Weren't we talking to him a few off-seasons ago? He's familiar with Chicago. Wants to join a winning team. He then allows even more inning flexibility with our rotation and keeps our arms fresh for what is the important part of the year - September and October. The Sox could adopt a 6 man rotation, or, go the route of the Dodgers and make up IL stints for each of our guys giving them 2-3 turns off through the rotation each. HIs acquisition cost is just $$, no prospects, and he helps the team not just this year, but next year when these guys innings were limited. Next year you're talking all of these guys PLUS playoff innings logged on their arms ...

It seems like a luxury, but all things considered a signing like that could go a long way not only for the stretch run this year, but next year as well. 

Outside of that, I mean, you'd have to think that at least one, if not more Diamondbacks will be on this roster. TLR knows who he likes over there, and that will make its way to Hahn and you'll have someone on this team. 

The guy hasn't pitched in almost 2 years, coming off shoulder problems, and still not 100%. 

Edited by Dick Allen

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy hasn't pitched in almost 2 years, coming off shoulder problems, and still not 100%. 

Kopech hadn't pitched in almost two years, was coming off arm problems. 

You can say that about almost any pitcher at some point of his career at this point. And how do you know he's not 100%? Have you talked to him personally?

He's back to throwing, and its said he'll be preparing for a showcase. If i was him, i'd do this same route. why pitch a full year when you can get the lay of the land and figure out which teams are contending, which teams need arms, and then drive up the price? 

25 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Kopech hadn't pitched in almost two years, was coming off arm problems. 

You can say that about almost any pitcher at some point of his career at this point. And how do you know he's not 100%? Have you talked to him personally?

He's back to throwing, and its said he'll be preparing for a showcase. If i was him, i'd do this same route. why pitch a full year when you can get the lay of the land and figure out which teams are contending, which teams need arms, and then drive up the price? 

If Cole Hamels was any where close to being Cole Hamels, Cole Hamels wouldn't be an unsigned free agent.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Easily.  Eloy is impressively -16 runs in about 160 games in LF.  Vaughn is on pace for about -7 over 160 games.  It's position adjusted so you get a ding for starting in LF but Eloy is a very bad LF.  Vaughn is probably about average relative to other LF.

Ya, I was pretty against the idea of throwing him out in left just cause I didn't want him to get hurt but he's been more than passable out there.  Certainly not great at the moment but considering he's never played the position before he's done pretty well for himself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, knightni said:

If it works... it gives them options.

Moncada was 2B before 3B, maybe he could get a few looks as well.

Yoan's a gold glover at 3b right now, don't mess with him.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DashFan said:

Assuming we can get healthy by the playoffs, relatively speaking. Are we a proven setup-man away from seriously contending?

If we get a couple of our set up men to be effective, we are plenty deep.  If Hendriks and Bummer are on track, then really you need a couple of Crochet, Kopech, and Heuer to be able to easily cover innings 6-9 with a 5 inning start.  Every extra inning a starter can give you is probably one less guy that needs to be good.

8 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Ya, I was pretty against the idea of throwing him out in left just cause I didn't want him to get hurt but he's been more than passable out there.  Certainly not great at the moment but considering he's never played the position before he's done pretty well for himself.

That's just it, AV didn't need to be great, or even good.  He's better than Eloy, which is plenty.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He must really look nimble at 3rd to be taking this shot with him at 2nd.

He made a nice running play the other day.  That said, he still looked fairly stiff to me on it.  Have no idea how in the world he's a 2B, at AAA or any other level.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong again.  I'm shocked he's actually returning to a bit of prospect status.

16 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Sox will get a MI. That’s 100% and not an opinion. 

I think they should get an OF, as all of the RF options blow chunks. 

The crappy part of the lineup is playing way over their heads right now. What happens when that stops? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they should get an OF, as all of the RF options blow chunks. 

The crappy part of the lineup is playing way over their heads right now. What happens when that stops? 

Hopefully Robert and Eloy return. Abreu gets hit. Grandal gets to .200, and the offense looks nasty again.

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

We need to give Kopech more innings, not less.  IMO, adding another starter doesn’t make much sense.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh shit, that’s what I asked them to do, but caulfield said it would cause mass outrage!

He hasn’t exactly proven he can play the position yet, has he?

Now he’s Max Muncy?

You’d have to think the simplest, most logical move here is Escobar, maybe Schoop.

Playing Burger there in the minors is simply posturing, acting like we have a plan and are not dealing with other trams out of a sense of desperation.

And with how many White Sox have gotten hurt already...all teams in general, do you really think something won’t happen?

Now moving Moncada would be sillier, but count me skeptical.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He hasn’t exactly proven he can play the position yet, has he?

Now he’s Max Muncy?

You’d have to think the simplest, most logical move here is Escobar, maybe Schoop.

Playing Burger there in the minors is simply posturing, acting like we have a plan and are not dealing with other trams out of a sense of desperation.

And with how many White Sox have gotten hurt already...all teams in general, do you really think something won’t happen?

Now moving Moncada would be sillier, but count me skeptical.

bro, what?

tenor.gif