Hahn: Too early to know if Sox will be buyers

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, tray said:

Eloy will  eventually return to the outfield when he is done with rehab.

Cite one source inside the White Sox organization that disagrees with that.

No one is going to come out and publicly state that Eloy is getting demoted while he is still rehabbing.  No one in the Sox organization is that dumb, well at least in upper management.

But it should be really obvious that the fact that Andrew Vaughn can pay a passable LF means the Sox have options they didn't think they had 3 months ago, and those will have an effect going forward.  Now whether that means Eloy goes to DH, or the Sox go with Eloy/Robert/Vaughn from left to right remains to be seen.  It also could mean that Vaughn gets left, a new RF gets brought in, and again Eloy demotes to DH.  But it should be really obvious that it is NOT a slam dunk that Eloy is the starting LF on Opening Day 2022.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Eloy's bionic shoulder would also like a word.

I mean you nailed it in the previous post.  Now that Vaughn is a competent LF that changes Eloy's role.  Eloy can just focus on keeping healthy and hitting.  We don't need him out there turning doubles into "inside the park HR" and hurting himself -- let him just hit.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He hasn’t exactly proven he can play the position yet, has he?

Now he’s Max Muncy?

You’d have to think the simplest, most logical move here is Escobar, maybe Schoop.

Playing Burger there in the minors is simply posturing, acting like we have a plan and are not dealing with other trams out of a sense of desperation.

And with how many White Sox have gotten hurt already...all teams in general, do you really think something won’t happen?

Now moving Moncada would be sillier, but count me skeptical.

I simply said the Sox should try Burger at 2B in AAA and you told me that his agent and the Players Union would lose their shit over a guy coming back from injury being asked to play a different position.

2 hours ago, DashFan said:

Assuming we can get healthy by the playoffs, relatively speaking. Are we a pr

There are those here who think trading prospects should never happen or our guys most of us have given up on because talent cost will be low and other GM's will be taken in by Hahns announcement that we don't know what we are going to do.

As of now in my not so humble opinion , the Sox will try to preserve the status quo. That means wait and assess the situation until the last possible moment and see where the team is at and where the weaknesses are. Then they will make the minimum least costly move(s) available for more relief pitching which probably would be in accordance with LaRussa's wishes.

Let's hold onto those Gold pitching prospects we have who are going to be the 2nd wave in the decade long window of contention of sustained success that Hahn has been selling us . After all if we have to trade someone ,guys like Sheets,Adolfo, Rutherford and Burger will surely entice teams way more than anything else other teams have to offer.

When we don't win the World Series in the next 10 years  feel free to look me up after Hypnotist Hahn and Jerry have lead their followers  into the Valley of Sustained Success. But hey we will always have Danny Mendick ,our saviour, to console us. No need to go all in this year just because we have the best Starting pitching staff in baseball and probably the best it will ever be in the next decade . Keep dangling that carrot Jerry you sure have Sox fans pegged right. Keep them longing for a better future while delaying the present.

Fill the hole at 2nd base with needed LH power get more pitching . That's where I stand. Give up what is necessary and if  it isn't our best low minors position players or our top pitching prospects even better . Win Win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

One of the better in season trades the Sox made was in 2000 acquiring Charles Johnson for the stretch run. Brooks Fordyce was the cost. He was serviceable, and put up really good numbers the rest of 2000 for Baltimore, but Johnson was nails for the Sox. Just a rental, but he helped make sure they made the playoffs.

i agree, but Harold Baines was also part of this Deal, And he was also nails down the stretch for us. Fourdyce hit great for us but could not throw out any would be base stealers. Johnson hit well for us, but his main asset was he was a deterrent the rest of the year to would be base stealers.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are those here who think trading prospects should never happen or our guys most of us have given up on because talent cost will be low and other GM's will be taken in by Hahns announcement that we don't know what we are going to do.

As of now in my not so humble opinion , the Sox will try to preserve the status quo. That means wait and assess the situation until the last possible moment and see where the team is at and where the weaknesses are. Then they will make the minimum least costly move(s) available for more relief pitching which probably would be in accordance with LaRussa's wishes.

Let's hold onto those Gold pitching prospects we have who are going to be the 2nd wave in the decade long window of contention of sustained success that Hahn has been selling us . After all if we have to trade someone ,guys like Sheets,Adolfo, Rutherford and Burger will surely entice teams way more than anything else other teams have to offer.

When we don't win the World Series in the next 10 years  feel free to look me up after Hypnotist Hahn and Jerry have lead their followers  into the Valley of Sustained Success. But hey we will always have Danny Mendick ,our saviour, to console us. No need to go all in this year just because we have the best Starting pitching staff in baseball and probably the best it will ever be in the next decade . Keep dangling that carrot Jerry you sure have Sox fans pegged right. Keep them longing for a better future while delaying the present.

Fill the hole at 2nd base with needed LH power get more pitching . That's where I stand. Give up what is necessary and if  it isn't our best low minors position players or our top pitching prospects even better . Win Win.

What you say makes sense.  You should also know which you do. There isn't any guarantees either way.  

7 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

What you say makes sense.  You should also know which you do. There isn't any guarantees either way.  

Yes I do. I believe you take your best shot when that shot is available. If you don't, I have a problem with it. If you do and you fail anyway I'm good.

Hahn was quoted as saying "Chances to win are sacred, and we're going to treat this one accordingly." We shall see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes I do. I believe you take your best shot when that shot is available. If you don't, I have a problem with it. If you do and you fail anyway I'm good.

Hahn was quoted as saying "Chances to win are sacred, and we're going to treat this one accordingly." We shall see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Yep. You want to be smart, but you can't assume you will have this record and chance next year. Look at the Twins and look at the injuries we have. If it makes sense then you do it. For all we know the Twins can bounce back and the Tigers/Tribe can acquire a few offensive pieces to make life difficult for us next year. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. You want to be smart, but you can't assume you will have this record and chance next year. Look at the Twins and look at the injuries we have. If it makes sense then you do it. For all we know the Twins can bounce back and the Tigers/Tribe can acquire a few offensive pieces to make life difficult for us next year. 

And of course there's that little thing about our 2 best starting pitchers at the moment becoming Free Agents next year.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Tim Beckham just hit his 5TH homer, in the last 3 games. Maybe they'll just bring him up to play 2ND, and look for a LH bat for the outfield.

Is he eligible to play in majors yet?  Wasn't he serving a suspension or am I misremembering?

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Cubs gave up two bums to acquire Castellanos who is much better than Frazier. While Frazier has one more year of control, I don't think you'd have to give up anything but complete wild cards for Frazier.

I think it also depends if any other buyers think Frazier fits their need. 

30 minutes ago, wegner said:

Is he eligible to play in majors yet?  Wasn't he serving a suspension or am I misremembering?

On August 6, 2019, Beckham received an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing substance, in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. [26] This effectively ended Beckham's season, finishing with a .237/.293/.461 (100 wRC+) slash line with 15 home runs and 47 RBIs.[27] On December 2, 2019, Beckham was non-tendered by Seattle and became a free agent.[28]

Chicago White Sox

After going unsigned for the 2020 season, on October 29, 2020, Beckham signed a minor league contract with the Chicago White Sox organization.[29]

Tim Beckham -- who still has 32 games to serve on the 80-game suspension he received last August -- continues to talk with a number of clubs and is hopeful to find work at some point this spring.

That was the situation coming into last season, which he sat out completely and/or wasn't signed over the entire 2020 season.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

I think Hahn has to trade sheets this deadline, he is 25 and his value will only go down, nobody gives up anything for a 26 or 27 year old AAA player and thus Hahn should actively try to get rid of him. Same really applies to burger, I know it is a great story he is back but he is 26 and could have a career ending injury soon. Stiever also is 24 and doesn't have a high upside or a role as a starter. 

So that is 3 guys on the way down that he can get rid off without really hurting the system. 

I would keep the young pitchers, Bailey and also Rutherford as he could at least become a 4th outfielder but sheets, burger and Stiever are totally blocked and at an age where their value goes down even if they perform in the minors. 

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think Hahn has to trade sheets this deadline, he is 25 and his value will only go down, nobody gives up anything for a 26 or 27 year old AAA player and thus Hahn should actively try to get rid of him. Same really applies to burger, I know it is a great story he is back but he is 26 and could have a career ending injury soon. Stiever also is 24 and doesn't have a high upside or a role as a starter. 

So that is 3 guys on the way down that he can get rid off without really hurting the system. 

I would keep the young pitchers, Bailey and also Rutherford as he could at least become a 4th outfielder but sheets, burger and Stiever are totally blocked and at an age where their value goes down even if they perform in the minors. 

Burger is 25 and Stiever just turned 24.  I don’t disagree about trying to sell high on Burger & Sheets, but Stiever  is important pitching depth given his physical ability, proximity to the majors, and option status.  Saying arguably our #7 starter is blocked is simply not true, especially when 2/5 or our rotation are going to hit free agency next year.

Let's talk more about Tim Beckham, as Madrigal's replacement. He is tearing the cover off the ball, at AAA and has the Major League resume, to suggest that he could certainly equal Mendick's production, with much more upside. After all, this was the #1 pick, in the 2008 Draft and he has performed reasonably well at the Major League level, at times. Of course, he has never lived up to the lofty expectations, but at 31, he is still a pretty decent player. He's hitting RH pitching about as well as he is lefties, so that is in his favor. If you put him at second base and then find a LH power bat to DH, or play a corner outfield, the lineup would be in pretty good shape. I wouldn't even mind just giving the DH at bats, vs RHP to Lamb. That would only leave the acquisition of another bullpen arm, as the lone trade deadline target.