Hahn: Too early to know if Sox will be buyers

southsider2k5

The sox are now projected an 86 win team the rest of the way with the guys they have however with the wins they have that still comes out at 91 wins which is 6 ahead of the second place Indians. 

The question is if that lead is enough for you do do nothing. This could easily be enough to make the post season when you are getting Eloy and Robert back but you could also have some bad luck and win 3 games less than projected and indians win 3 more and you are second place. Could also be the other way round of course. 

Good teams don't need to do a whole lot a the deadline, and the Sox are a good team. I think the FO should at least get some bullpen help. With Kopech coming back, that should solidify things some. 

Fans are assuming that things will be great when Eloy and Robert return. But both players are coming off tough injuries and a long lay off. We really don't know how they'll do. Plus they are young players who have had their development stopped because they're not playing. A good hitting corner outfielder would help, too.

Some say remember 2005. I do, and recall a 15-game lead turn into 1 1/2 and recall a situation when the Sox could have missed the playoffs all together. If a good situation comes up, the Sox should be buyers. Getting to the playoffs will be great, but the team should want to do more than that. But first, you have to get to the playoffs and that is not a given now.

They were playing well and have a lead. They have been getting some production out of guys they probably shouldn't be getting production from. It buys them time. They now play a lot of crappy teams, maybe that buys them more time, but eventually guys like Hamilton and Lamb and Mendick and Goodwin and Burr will most likely show why they were released or considered end of the roster guys. Yermin may be going through that now. RH can wait, but should he? Who knows who else goes down the last 3 months of the year. 

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

Good teams don't need to do a whole lot a the deadline, and the Sox are a good team. I think the FO should at least get some bullpen help. With Kopech coming back, that should solidify things some. 

Fans are assuming that things will be great when Eloy and Robert return. But both players are coming off tough injuries and a long lay off. We really don't know how they'll do. Plus they are young players who have had their development stopped because they're not playing. A good hitting corner outfielder would help, too.

Some say remember 2005. I do, and recall a 15-game lead turn into 1 1/2 and recall a situation when the Sox could have missed the playoffs all together. If a good situation comes up, the Sox should be buyers. Getting to the playoffs will be great, but the team should want to do more than that. But first, you have to get to the playoffs and that is not a given now.

We need a good all-around right fielder as the #1 need of this team IMO.  A very good eighth-inning bullpen guy would also be most welcome.  Our offense is running on fumes.

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

The sox are now projected an 86 win team the rest of the way with the guys they have however with the wins they have that still comes out at 91 wins which is 6 ahead of the second place Indians. 

The question is if that lead is enough for you do do nothing. This could easily be enough to make the post season when you are getting Eloy and Robert back but you could also have some bad luck and win 3 games less than projected and indians win 3 more and you are second place. Could also be the other way round of course. 

It’s probably enough to make the postseason, but isn’t the goal to win the World Series?  Let’s add some rentals and try to build the strongest team possible for October without completely jeopardizing the little prospect capital we have at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

They were playing well and have a lead. They have been getting some production out of guys they probably shouldn't be getting production from. It buys them time. They now play a lot of crappy teams, maybe that buys them more time, but eventually guys like Hamilton and Lamb and Mendick and Goodwin and Burr will most likely show why they were released or considered end of the roster guys. Yermin may be going through that now. RH can wait, but should he? Who knows who else goes down the last 3 months of the year. 

I agree in that we will not be able to count on the players you mentioned. The injuries have exposed the team's lack of depth. We have gone through seasons of losing. Deals need to be made even if they are somewhat costly. There is an assumption that the Sox have already locked up this division. I wouldn't make that assumption. Going through another deadline sitting on our hands is not acceptable in my book. The rebuild is over. Time to contend.

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

We have a need to buy some things/players, but I don't like what we have to pay with.  Either next wave players that could really hurt or be an overpay or scraps that people may not want.  

Who is there for a next wave?  My opinion is if you get good trade value for any of the prospects, you cash in for this year (and hopefully it’s not a rental)

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Who is there for a next wave?  My opinion is if you get good trade value for any of the prospects, you cash in for this year (and hopefully it’s not a rental)

It's very doubtful they get good value for anyone.  I haven't heard any specifics but was told the trade market is "insane."  The sellers are asking for the moon and then some. It's not going to be easy for them to acquire an impact player.

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's very doubtful they get good value for anyone.  I haven't heard any specifics but was told the trade market is "insane."  The sellers are asking for the moon and then some. It's not going to be easy for them to acquire an impact player.

With all our injuries, maybe this is not the year to overpay to get us over the top?  I know that some think our window is smaller but is now the time to go all in? 

However, to play devils advocate....maybe our starting rotation will not be this good again during the window so this is the time to go for it?

Edited by wegner
cleaning up grammar a bit
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I agree in that we will not be able to count on the players you mentioned. The injuries have exposed the team's lack of depth. We have gone through seasons of losing. Deals need to be made even if they are somewhat costly. There is an assumption that the Sox have already locked up this division. I wouldn't make that assumption. Going through another deadline sitting on our hands is not acceptable in my book. The rebuild is over. Time to contend.

I agree. I don't think it is acceptable either. But waiting closer to the deadline might not be so bad. Then you have a better idea where Robert and Eloy are at, and a few more pretender teams may be selling. OTOH, the better you get now is less work later. I do think an OF or IF with power should be a priority right now, and you have to figure RH has been shopping since Eloy went down. 

3 hours ago, NWINFan said:

They're going to have to give up Kopech or Crochet to add any piece of consequence. Not only is that a non-starter due to their potential, those two are also the only reliable relievers outside of Hendriks. 

They don't really have anything attractive to other teams. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're going to have to give up Kopech or Crochet to add any piece of consequence. Not only is that a non-starter due to their potential, those two are also the only reliable relievers outside of Hendriks. 

You can pick up decent rental upgrades for middling prospects and or financial relief. Playoff games are huge money makers for teams. Even JR might be willing to swallow hard and pick up salary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

What do you consider something of consequence? They don't have what it takes to get like a Ketel Marte. They don't need that though. I'm not even sure they could get Joey Gallo. They can absolutely get Starling Marte, Eduardo Escobar and either Ian Kennedy or Daniel Hudson though. Those would be impactful moves 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What do you consider something of consequence? They don't have what it takes to get like a Ketel Marte. They don't need that though. I'm not even sure they could get Joey Gallo. They can absolutely get Starling Marte, Eduardo Escobar and either Ian Kennedy or Daniel Hudson though. Those would be impactful moves 

I don't think they have enough to get Marte or a premium rental like that. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s probably enough to make the postseason, but isn’t the goal to win the World Series?  Let’s add some rentals and try to build the strongest team possible for October without completely jeopardizing the little prospect capital we have at the moment.

Before the season I wouldn't have agreed with this.  I would have said that the window for a championship wasn't going to be fully open until at least 1 of Cease/Kopech established himself as a top-end starter with Giolito.  But now with Rodon basically acting as our Verlander/Scherzer/etc. kind of bonafide ace type, and heading into FA, we need to try to ride Carlos as far as he will take us.  Same with Lynn pitching so well overall and as an impending FA.

So for that reason, because I actually believe we now have both the SP and bullpen talent necessary to win a championship, I would fully support the Sox being aggressive this deadline, even in trading for rentals.  But that said, it still should be noted that we have a bright future and an open window for the next 2-4 years after this season as well if our SP holds up.  If Cease and Kopech turn into a pair of top-end guys along with Giolito, we have a shot at a title in every year we run them out there.  So I wouldn't want to piss away our opportunity to win in those years, either.  

None of us should really have any confidence in the Sox FO re: restocking the farm a bit even while winning, ala the Rays, Indians, Yankees, etc.  What we have will increase through the future drafts and INTL periods but it's going to be a pool of talent which is constantly diminishing in numbers of truly interesting players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Doubt the price would be that high, unless you're talking about someone who is not merely a rental.

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think they have enough to get Marte or a premium rental like that. 

Who is bidding against us?

And yes we do, certainly, if we want to overpay.

Marte is not going to get a QO and everyone knows that.  The Marlins aren't going to do that.  That means the offers do not necessarily have to compete against the value of a draft pick.  The offers just have to be the best offers of the highest bidders.  

Haniger is out there also.  Maybe the Rockies will eat some cash on Blackmon.  Peralta is out there, etc.  There are other players available to take some of those competitors of ours away from the table.  

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's only June.  There are a lot of wishy-washy teams out there and some of them will turn into committed sellers 1-2 weeks before the deadline.  Then prices will have to drop.  A departing FA on a shit team only hoping for better draft position isn't worth anything to that team except the draft pick return if a QO is offered and declined.  But only a few players are going to get that QO.  Prices will come way down.

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Doubt the price would be that high, unless you're talking about someone who is not merely a rental.

Teams aren't going to be asking us about those guys legitimately unless we are asking for a hell of a player, and probably 2+ years of control on top of it.  Especially Kopech.  Asking about him is just stupid and a waste of time and breath.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

My only beef with trading some of the Kanny guys is I think you’re selling low on them.  I think a year from now you could see Rodriguez & Ramos emerge as low end top 100 prospects if they do well in High A, but right now the lack of track record would be used against them.  Kelley, Thompson, & Dalquist all have talented arms, but they lack development time and it shows in their performance this year.  That’s not to say I wouldn’t move them in the right deal, but I’d try to avoid it if at all possible.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

All of those are good deals.  And Ketel Marte really isn't worth the resources required anyway given what we already have.

What about Haniger though?  Do you think the Sox could make that deal if they want to, with Crochet (and hopefully Vera + Cespedes) staying here?

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

All of those are good deals.  And Ketel Marte really isn't worth the resources required anyway given what we already have.

What about Haniger though?  Do you think the Sox could make that deal if they want to, with Crochet (and hopefully Vera + Cespedes) staying here?

I don't think they could make that deal without Crochet