Hahn: Too early to know if Sox will be buyers

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Similar to what Lynn cost. The Sox don't have anyone like those guys left. 

Lynn had 1 full season remaining and had been pitching like a clear QO candidate.  Lynn's value was 1 full season of a mid-to-top-end SP plus a draft pick IIRC as I do not believe the QO had been made to him in his last trip through FA.  Marte doesn't have anywhere near that value.

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

Lynn had 1 full season remaining and had been pitching like a clear QO candidate.  Lynn's value was 1 full season of a mid-to-top-end SP plus a draft pick IIRC as I do not believe the QO had been made to him in his last trip through FA.  Marte doesn't have anywhere near that value.

Lynn isn't QO eligible IIRC. 

44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think they could make that deal without Crochet 

Ouch. 

Unfortunately for us, it seems like there is a precipitous drop-off from Crochet value and everyone else below.  I guess if they don't like Thompson and Rodriguez and those guys enough, no dice.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think he did with the Cards but I could be wrong. 

I checked B-R and the Cardinals didn't get a comp pick in the 2018 draft so it doesn't look like he was ever given the QO.  Lynn's trade value was 1 full year of a mid-rotation at worst, top-of-rotation at best SP and innings eater, plus the value of draft pick compensation in his walk year.  Way more trade value than Marte.

In hindsight, Lynn for Dunning was a steal.  Good job Hahn.  I didn't like the deal at the time, but I must admit it was a steal now.

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's very doubtful they get good value for anyone.  I haven't heard any specifics but was told the trade market is "insane."  The sellers are asking for the moon and then some. It's not going to be easy for them to acquire an impact player.

I think the contrary is true the market is terrible for sellers and even superstar rental players don't command a lot of return. 

Just look at what Machado brought back. Superstar rentals go for a 45 and two 40s and lesser ones even for less. 

15 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Something tells me they are gonna insanely try Burger first 

Tim Beckham will be called up before Burger. They're both right handed and Beckham has the Major League pedigree. Moreover, Burger is really only a corner infielder and those spots are filled. Beckham can play second base. In fact, I expect them to replace Mendick with Beckham, very soon. In any case, it still doesn't solve the need for a LH power bat.

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Tim Beckham will be called up before Burger. They're both right handed and Beckham has the Major League pedigree. Moreover, Burger is really only a corner infielder and those spots are filled. Beckham can play second base. In fact, I expect them to replace Mendick with Beckham, very soon. In any case, it still doesn't solve the need for a LH power bat.

I think you’re going to be wrong on this

Perhaps. Well, if they did go Burger, the only thing that makes sense is putting Burger at third and Moncada sucking it up to play second again to close out the season. Its not like a big deal, I can’t imagine another team or players not rallying the troops and taking emergency action. For some reason everyone is scared of Moncada being to fragile for this. Laughable.

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think you’re going to be wrong on this

We'll see. The only reason they wouldn't replace Mendick with Beckham would be to avoid triggering the MLB salary. They can't be that cheap. Beckham is an obvious offensive upgrade over Danny and he should be adequate at second.

Moreover, until they acquire someone, Lamb should be in the lineup, every day there is a RH starter on the mound, for the opposition. I know that most here wanted him DFA, but he is the best LH power bat, in the organization, after Moncada and Grandal. He has barely had an opportunity to get his timing down, with the sporadic appearances, yet he has been reasonably productive. He has as many homers as Moncada, in 1/3 as many at bats. Lamb and Moncada have the same OPS. If that isn't enough to earn him more playing time, than I don't know what one expects.

Edited by Lillian

21 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Perhaps. Well, if they did go Burger, the only thing that makes sense is putting Burger at third and Moncada sucking it up to play second again to close out the season. Its not like a big deal, I can’t imagine another team or players not rallying the troops and taking emergency action. For some reason everyone is scared of Moncada being to fragile for this. Laughable.

Burger is working at 2nd lately.