Hahn: Too early to know if Sox will be buyers

southsider2k5

50 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Tim Beckham will be called up before Burger. They're both right handed and Beckham has the Major League pedigree. Moreover, Burger is really only a corner infielder and those spots are filled. Beckham can play second base. In fact, I expect them to replace Mendick with Beckham, very soon. In any case, it still doesn't solve the need for a LH power bat.

Beckham would require a 40 man roster spot and would also have to serve a suspension.  I think Burger is coming up and soon.  Scot Gregor tweeted today that he thinks Jake will be up in the next two weeks.  I’m sure that’s mostly speculation, but it seems like we’re nearing the end of the Yermin experiment (for now) and Burger & Sheets are the only two options to fill the spot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I mentioned in the other thread, Escobar was pulled in the top of the 5th. No apparent injury. The score was 7-1, but top 5 seems early and he was the only player subbed out. Not a double switch or anything. 
prob nothing, but maybe not. 

🤔...if anyone would be willing to sell early it’s the D-Backs, especially with their B tier players.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Tim Beckham will be called up before Burger. They're both right handed and Beckham has the Major League pedigree. Moreover, Burger is really only a corner infielder and those spots are filled. Beckham can play second base. In fact, I expect them to replace Mendick with Beckham, very soon. In any case, it still doesn't solve the need for a LH power bat.

Burger is on the 40, Beckham isn't. 

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Beckham would require a 40 man roster spot and would also have to serve a suspension.  I think Burger is coming up and soon.  Scot Gregor tweeted today that he thinks Jake will be up in the next two weeks.  I’m sure that’s mostly speculation, but it seems like we’re nearing the end of the Yermin experiment (for now) and Burger & Sheets are the only two options to fill the spot.

Gregor doesn’t typically tweet stuff like that

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks for the clarification. I had understood that his time off the MLB roster satisfied the suspension requirement. That would explain why he hasn't already been placed on the roster

19 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Look what you did . You got Flash calling him Winkler instead of Winker. Sunday ,Monday , Happy Days, Tuesday, Wednesday Happy Days ! The Fonz thanks you.

Oops. Forgot that classic Winker family singalong...Noel, Noel🎶

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, perhaps I should have described it as informed speculation.  I’m sure there is a reason he tweeted that, especially given he put a timeframe on it.

What tweet? Haven’t been following along and don’t feel like digging.

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Burger is working at 2nd lately.

Yes. That’s an epic joke. Double plays will be a  joke, as will his range be a joke. Another joke is how it is completely out of the realm of possibility for Moncada to switch back to second this season. There is no way in hell Moncada doesn’t play second base better than Burger does. And Burger is a first round draft choice at third base. But of course not. Play Burger at second. THIS IS INSANE.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's the guy they have to try to get.  

I'd say great if they also got Escobar but he brings nothing besides LH power. Would help to get that sure, very helpful in fact ,but speed, defense, versatility all lacking .

Escobar is helpful in more ways so more valuable. He can fill in for an injured Moncada and take Mendick's spot in the everyday lineup and switch hits so his power plays from both sides of the plate. 10 of Escobars 15 HR's come against RHP . 17 of Schwarbers 18 are off RHP.

It's hard to pick one over the other  but I'd lean to Escobar in case Moncada has any extended absences. But give me both and I'm even happier. If the Sox can manage that and a really good RH relief pitcher.

That might be expecting too much from them. I don't think they are that bold or truly would make the commitment necessary to win it all this year.  Hopefully the Nationals will come around to selling but we already know the Diamondbacks will be ,so ,theoretically Escobar could be a help sooner. I'd also be shocked if the Sox don't slow play any acquisitions and some of their targets get snatched by another team.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd say great if they also got Escobar but he brings nothing besides LH power. Would help to get that sure, very helpful in fact ,but speed, defense, versatility all lacking .

Escobar is helpful in more ways so more valuable. He can fill in for an injured Moncada and take Mendick's spot in the everyday lineup and switch hits so his power plays from both sides of the plate. 10 of Escobars 15 HR's come against RHP . 17 of Schwarbers 18 are off RHP.

It's hard to pick one over the other  but I'd lean to Escobar in case Moncada has any extended absences. But give me both and I'm even happier. If the Sox can manage that and a really good RH relief pitcher.

That might be expecting too much from them. I don't think they are that bold or truly would make the commitment necessary to win it all this year.  Hopefully the Nationals will come around to selling but we already know the Diamondbacks will be ,so ,theoretically Escobar could be a help sooner. I'd also be shocked if the Sox don't slow play any acquisitions and some of their targets get snatched by another team.

When’s the last time they really went all out at the deadline, 2008 or 10?   Don’t remember many big moves in 2012.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

When’s the last time they really went all out at the deadline, 2008 or 10?   Don’t remember many big moves in 2012.

Youkilis, Liriano, and Myers are what they got at/near the TDL in 2012. I thought they were reasonable acquisitions at the time.

I also thought that it was one of the better jobs by KW at the TDL, particularly since I didn't think there was much ammo to trade away.

This year, I don't think any "big moves" are whats needed, so much as a few rental add-ons. A bat or two, particularly bats that can get something done v. RHP, and some additional depth for the BP. Just so that the lineup isn't a complete and total joke against RHP & against 1st Division competition. And, an additional arm that every contender needs down the stretch. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

2008 They got Ken Griffey, Jr. 1/2 hr. before the TDL.

2010 Got Edwin Jackson for Daniel Hudson and David Holmberg.

2012 They traded Eduardo Escobar and Pedro Hernandez for Francisco Liriano and he wasn't very good that season with the Twins or the Sox. Youkilis they got 6/24 . They also brought up Danks 6/7 and he pitched about as well as Liriano. Brett Myers 7/21 . He pitched decently for the Sox but fora guy who had 19 saves when acquired , he ended up with none for the Sox.

So realistically if Covid is still an excuse not to spend and limiting acquisitions due to not wanting to hurt what's left of the farm system or not having the bullets needed, I'm not expecting more than 2 guys. One for the bullpen and 1 for the lineup.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

24 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I don’t think the Sox can trade the Kanapolis kids at all. Their values are at rock bottom. 

They could because they have some good pieces there and since some of them are very young it's more about the tools than performance with them. But I guarantee Kelley, Thompson, Krogman , Horn and Dahlquist and especially Jose Rodriquez and Bryan Ramos would be very interesting to other teams. Practically anyone could be used as a throw in among the names I didn't mention.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They could because they have some good pieces there and since some of them are very young it's more about the tools than performance with them. But I guarantee Kelley, Thompson, Krogman , Horn and Dahlquist and especially Jose Rodriquez and Bryan Ramos would be very interesting to other teams. Practically anyone could be used as a throw in among the names I didn't mention.

They might be interesting. But the offers would be crap. Selling low is the road to perdition for a GM.