Hahn: Too early to know if Sox will be buyers

southsider2k5

Reinsdorf will get them no help when it can make the biggest impact.

Then predictably they swoon which Reinsdorf will use as an excuse not to do anything.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat for 40 years.

If anything, Hahn will be selling.

He works for an owner who admitted to being P.T. Barnum 2.0.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GradMc said:

Reinsdorf will get them no help when it can make the biggest impact.

Then predictably they swoon which Reinsdorf will use as an excuse not to do anything.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat for 40 years.

If anything, Hahn will be selling.

He works for an owner who admitted to being P.T. Barnum 2.0.

I hope your cynicism is not entirely justified. If so, maybe I should rethink being a Sox fan. Pretty hard to change allegiances, after rooting for them, for all but the first 8 years of my 77. Staying loyal and waiting for him to pass is not a particularly good strategy for someone my age. LOL. Let's hope that J. R. surprises us with some meaningful acquisitions.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Hope he brings the right fielder with him.

I'd rather they trade for Reynolds than Frazier. If Reynolds has 3+ seasons of team control I'd consider moving Crochet for him. Having a long-term, switch hitting solution for RF would be worth it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather they trade for Reynolds than Frazier. If Reynolds has 3+ seasons of team control I'd consider moving Crochet for him. Having a long-term, switch hitting solution for RF would be worth it. 

Now that would be interesting.

Reynolds having a hell of a year after a DUD year. Not sure if I fully buy in enough to trade Crochet for him, but having him on the team for years would be awesome.

The problem is that Crochet is one of our core pieces.  I think people are a little too caught up in the velo being down a bit and the fact that his slider has been hit-or-miss, but that ERA is what it is for a reason.  He's still a dominant lefty in the league (and the best lefty on the team ATM) in a pen on a team that wants to win a title.  And next year he should be in Kopech's role, and after that, he should be in the rotation in 2023.  We will have to be looking at signing Giolito at FA market value around then, or trading him, or letting him hit FA.  Keuchel and Lynn might both be gone by then, or Keuchel might just be really bad even if he is still here.  Etc.  We are really going to be counting on Crochet in every year of our window.

OTOH, Marte will be a FA at the end of the year.  So will some other players.  If the Sox will spend some money, they will be an attractive destination.  Colas will be in the low minors next year, maybe Cespedes ends this season in AA, and is at AA-AAA next season.  I don't think it is worth it at all to trade 1 core piece to get another core piece; we should try to add more core pieces, not tread water in that department.  

It's way better to just trade much lesser pieces for Marte and offer him the QO after the season knowing you are overpaying than it is to trade Crochet.  Money on the FA market isn't going to replace Crochet if you deal him.  But it could bring you a quality RF.

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

The problem is that Crochet is one of our core pieces.  I think people are a little too caught up in the velo being down a bit and the fact that his slider has been hit-or-miss, but that ERA is what it is for a reason.  He's still a dominant lefty in the league (and the best lefty on the team ATM) in a pen on a team that wants to win a title.  And next year he should be in Kopech's role, and after that, he should be in the rotation in 2023.  We will have to be looking at signing Giolito at FA market value around then, or trading him, or letting him hit FA.  Keuchel and Lynn might both be gone by then, or Keuchel might just be really bad even if he is still here.  Etc.  We are really going to be counting on Crochet in every year of our window.

OTOH, Marte will be a FA at the end of the year.  So will some other players.  If the Sox will spend some money, they will be an attractive destination.  Colas will be in the low minors next year, maybe Cespedes ends this season in AA, and is at AA-AAA next season.  I don't think it is worth it at all to trade 1 core piece to get another core piece; we should try to add more core pieces, not tread water in that department.  

It's way better to just trade much lesser pieces for Marte and offer him the QO after the season knowing you are overpaying than it is to trade Crochet.  Money on the FA market isn't going to replace Crochet if you deal him.  But it could bring you a quality RF.

He isn't a core piece when he is relegated to the bullpen.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He isn't a core piece when he is relegated to the bullpen.

I'm sorry but that is just a ridiculous statement.

If that's the case, we should probably trade Crochet, Kopech, and Hendriks, because none of them are core pieces, and make Foster Australian for Gas the closer.  Maybe we can get Reynolds, along with K. Marte or Scherzer doing all of that, but then we had better hope our starters go 9 otherwise we're fucked.

There is zero chance the white sox take on salary.  JR is still on this planet.  It's either prospects on the way out for things that don't fiscally cost us a lot.  Or mediocre players who make TLR tingle in the right place.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

There is zero chance the white sox take on salary.  JR is still on this planet.  It's either prospects on the way out for things that don't fiscally cost us a lot.  Or mediocre players who make TLR tingle in the right place.  

I don't really disagree with you and I hate that guy as much as anyone (probably more) but I like to think we could get both Escobar and Marte, plus a quality MR type and a quality LR/spot starter -- even at full salary relief -- without having to give up a star prospect.

And ultimately, as Sox fans all we can do is hope (this part can't be said here because of the rules) as soon as possible.  But until that fabulous day happens and we get party/jump up and down with joy, we have to root for the parts we like to still be great even in spite of the other parts we don't like bringing the ship down.

Case in point: Starling Marte + Ross Detwiler for Charlotte pieces.  Now we have a high-end starting RF plus a guy who can eat up extra innings in garbage time without shitting himself unlike Marshall.

Then, Escobar + Soria for probably another Charlotte piece and some low-end stuff.  We get a 2B/LF/DH/bench bat and a guy who actually has enough pitches to function as a MR unlike Foster.  

Bam, we're better.

Ultimately we are going to live and die off of our starting rotation and bullpen in the playoffs, just like basically every team in every year.   If Rodon and those guys are lights out, and so is Hendriks, and if Bummer and Heuer get it together, then we can win it all.  If those guys are bad, we probably won't.  But at least we will have the talent.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If JR is not going to take on salary, than sit tight and hope Eloy and Robert return productive later this season. No need to piss away Crochet to get done short term rental because JR and his pal TLR won’t be around for much longer.

3 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

He is going to have it tough if he doesn't do something this summer.  It was one thing when there was no attendance and a partial season.  Now neither of those things exists.

12 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Wait Marte did that himself?  How do we know Marte did that himself?  

That’s not him in the video per Marlins beat writer, but not sure if he had any involvement or not.  Best case scenario for him is he simply reposted something tasteless, although still a bad look for him obviously.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s not him in the video per Marlins beat writer, but not sure if he had any involvement or not.  Best case scenario for him is he simply reposted something tasteless, although still a bad look for him obviously.

The thread in question.

• Like 2