Eaton to IL, Burdi up

Heads22

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Eaton has been absolutely dreadful, Sox need to upgrade RF more than they need to upgrade 2B.

When he's healthy, he's still good, but his legs are pretty much toast at this point, so he's only healthy for short periods between IL stints. Maybe he should be used for more DH duty going forward.

• Haha 1

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Eaton has been absolutely dreadful, Sox need to upgrade RF more than they need to upgrade 2B.

I feel the Sox will go with Vaughn-Robert-RFer, with Eloy at DH towards the end of the year. In that case, I wouldn't mind pursuing a RFer and having Engel as the primary 4th OF. I'd imagine they will want to give Robert breaks out there and not run Engel full time given their injuries. 

Just now, daggins said:

When he's healthy, he's still good, but his legs are pretty much toast at this point, so he's only healthy for short periods between IL stints. Maybe he should be used for more DH duty going forward.

You want your DH to hit. Eaton can't do that at this point. You can probably call up Gavin Sheets and get better production at DH than Eaton. 

3 minutes ago, daggins said:

Eaton had a nice first couple of weeks. After that he has been bad. His April OPS was .719 which is okay in this offensively challenged season, but still pedestrian for a corner OF, even more pedestrian for a DH- 

8 minutes ago, daggins said:

And yeah the Sox need OF help pretty badly, they're down to Engel and Goodwin and then some guys who aren't full time outfielders.

With the magic horseshoe the Sox have, I truly want to see Rutherford or Sheets actually get some burn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am honestly surprised we brought up another pitcher if guys like Foster are barely pitching, and someone like Engel is still under playing restrictions.

Never thought I'd say this but I hope Billy is back soon.  A super defensive OF of Leury, Engel, Hamilton would be nice to throw out once and awhile.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am honestly surprised we brought up another pitcher if guys like Foster are barely pitching, and someone like Engel is still under playing restrictions.

I had the same thought.  We couldn't even pinch run for Vaughn in the 10th yesterday because the only position player we had available on the bench was Yermin.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Never thought I'd say this but I hope Billy is back soon.  A super defensive OF of Leury, Engel, Hamilton would be nice to throw out once and awhile.

Billy Hamilton has a role on a championship team with his defense and base running.  He got exposed for a while when we lost 4 of our top 5 OFs, but that doesn't mean even when he isn't hitting he can't help a team like this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, daggins said:

And yeah the Sox need OF help pretty badly, they're down to Engel and Goodwin and then some guys who aren't full time outfielders.

Engel isn’t even a full time outfielder at this time.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

Engel doesn't play other positions, is all I mean. Leury, Mendick and Vaughn are the other guys.

I think they will stick with the extra pitcher until (1) they acquire someone from outside the org or (2) Kopech comes back. Whichever comes first.

5 minutes ago, daggins said:

Engel doesn't play other positions, is all I mean. Leury, Mendick and Vaughn are the other guys.

I think they will stick with the extra pitcher until (1) they acquire someone from outside the org or (2) Kopech comes back. Whichever comes first.

Engel can play any OF position.  That's enough.

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Maybe they are just testing the waters to see if they have any internal options to fill a relief role instead of going outside the organization for one. 

Burdi has sucked at AAA this year and they brought him up before . I was hoping if they brought up a pitcher it would be someone different. If Hahn wants to wait and see if they can avoid making trades and giving up too many prospects then what's the harm in actually trying a RP who is doing well in Charlotte like Ofreidy Gomez or Nik Turley both of them can at least throw strikes and get people out in the minors. Both have under a 1 WHIP. Burdi is 1.55