Eaton to IL, Burdi up

Heads22

57 minutes ago, Quin said:

With the magic horseshoe the Sox have, I truly want to see Rutherford or Sheets actually get some burn.

Sheets would be worth a little exposure to the Majors, but what do you see in Rutherford's performance, that suggests to you that he might be ready for a call up?

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I would like to see Engel play every day (once 100% healthy with no restrictions).  He struggled with RHP earlier in his career, but his splits in 2020 and so far in 2021 don't scream platoon player to me.  If/when Robert is back, I would be in favor of Engel being the every day RF.

give him the chance for sure...but you need a lefty outfield starter option. Not sure if Lamb is that guy or not. But Engel/Lamb isn't a terrible RF platoon for now. 
I KNOW that Ketel Marte is going to cost too much, but he really is the ideal trade candidate for the sox window. 2B and RF are solved for this season and RF is solved for 2022, and then in 2023 Vaughn moves to 1st and Eloy to DH for cespedes/colas to round out outfield (which aligns with Engel being too expensive for arbitration- FA in 2024). It really is the ONE move that puts the Sox as top contender this season and next three honestly. 

Playoff roster: 
SS - Anderson
2B- Marte/Garcia
3B- Moncada
1B - Abreu/Vaughn
LF - Vaughn/Eloy
DH - Eloy/Vaughn/Abreu
C - Grandal/Collins
CF- Robert/Engel
RF - Engel/Marte

Bench - Eaton (DFA?) or Lamb /Garcia or Mendick / Billy Hamilton

Holy hell. what a pipe dream. 

No doubt Eaton is hurting and has had leg problems this year and before. Injuries to the legs and/or knees certainly can have a negative affect on your hitting and more. Good move to put him on the DL. 

We have an Of  consisting of Vaughn-Engel-Goodwin-L Garcia -Lamb-and Hamilton whenever he he gets back. Mendick is now the 2nd baseman so doubtful he plays outfield for now

it’s doubtful you see Gavin Sheets unless he is to play full time. 
I would be more interested to see who gets sent down or DFA once Kopech and Hamilton return and then latter Jimenez  and Roberts 

Edited by elrockinMT

39 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Sheets would be worth a little exposure to the Majors, but what do you see in Rutherford's performance, that suggests to you that he might be ready for a call up?

Because I haven't checked his stats in a little bit 😅

This made more sense when his OBP was above .300

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Burdi has sucked at AAA this year and they brought him up before . I was hoping if they brought up a pitcher it would be someone different. If Hahn wants to wait and see if they can avoid making trades and giving up too many prospects then what's the harm in actually trying a RP who is doing well in Charlotte like Ofreidy Gomez or Nik Turley both of them can at least throw strikes and get people out in the minors. Both have under a 1 WHIP. Burdi is 1.55

I was hoping it would be Lambert, been throwing well of late, getting healthier. But they probably want to keep him in the rotation down there since he is recovering from injury, so it would make sense. But Burdi, ouch. 

22 minutes ago, MnSoxFan said:

I was hoping it would be Lambert, been throwing well of late, getting healthier. But they probably want to keep him in the rotation down there since he is recovering from injury, so it would make sense. But Burdi, ouch. 

Lambert may get his turn if he's not traded. They may need some starts in the 2nd half.

4 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Eaton had a nice first couple of weeks. After that he has been bad. His April OPS was .719 which is okay in this offensively challenged season, but still pedestrian for a corner OF, even more pedestrian for a DH- 

I’d like to see a replay of the play he was injured, with his crazy base-running during the first game of the DH against Detroit on April 29. Darrin Jackson didn’t know what the hell Eaton was trying to do on the play, with his crazy run and stop move which jammed his ankles.

Eaton can contribute in a platoon role if he gets healthy hopefully rest until July / the ASB will get him at least close to back to where he was to start the season. Still don’t think he’ll remain healthy through year end, but get what you can out of him and try to get him to not do crazy stuff on the bases or field.

His injury history is one of the reasons people were against the signing, though some here countered they were “fluke” type injuries.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Absolutely correct.

I agree also but I would say a corner OF instead of a RF. Most can play both but Vaughn is still questionable and as the season moves on we need to have a guy who can hit and play either LF/RF in big games against RH pitching.  

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I agree also but I would say a corner OF instead of a RF. Most can play both but Vaughn is still questionable and as the season moves on we need to have a guy who can hit and play either LF/RF in big games against RH pitching.  

In my view almost all right fielders can play left but not all left fielders can play right.  Mostly...it's an arm strength thing.

Eaton was probably going to do well in a platoon in right with Engel. Our rash of injuries made it necessary to play every day.  He got hurt and tried playing through it. Never heard him b**** or use it as an excuse but clearly it has effected his performance. Hopefully when he returns he is healthy and we have options to rest him better. 

Just checked his splits. Ops .690 vs rip and .379 vs lefties.  Last year a split difference of .400 and .100 for career. Pretty clear to me at this point his performance merits platooning which would also benefit him by getting him rest hopefully keeping him healthier. 

20 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

give him the chance for sure...but you need a lefty outfield starter option. Not sure if Lamb is that guy or not. But Engel/Lamb isn't a terrible RF platoon for now. 
I KNOW that Ketel Marte is going to cost too much, but he really is the ideal trade candidate for the sox window. 2B and RF are solved for this season and RF is solved for 2022, and then in 2023 Vaughn moves to 1st and Eloy to DH for cespedes/colas to round out outfield (which aligns with Engel being too expensive for arbitration- FA in 2024). It really is the ONE move that puts the Sox as top contender this season and next three honestly. 

Playoff roster: 
SS - Anderson
2B- Marte/Garcia
3B- Moncada
1B - Abreu/Vaughn
LF - Vaughn/Eloy
DH - Eloy/Vaughn/Abreu
C - Grandal/Collins
CF- Robert/Engel
RF - Engel/Marte

Bench - Eaton (DFA?) or Lamb /Garcia or Mendick / Billy Hamilton

Holy hell. what a pipe dream. 

Looks like in your exuberance for Ketel Marte you forgot about Goodwin as a LH starting outfield option. Both him and Engel have done pretty well since they both got here. The Sox have 5 weeks to see if that's good enough for the OF once Eloy and Robert return.

I think no matter how you slice it Eloy will be playing LF a lot of the time once he starts hitting MLB pitching again with authority. For the best results against RHP which is the majority of the time you just can't have Vaughn in the lineup. If your bat cannot play against RHP then you had better bring elite defensive skills and that's not Vaughn. Vaughn can complicate things by starting to hit RHP much better in the next 5 weeks and I hope he does.

So for the next 5 weeks the Sox will keep a close eye of these players: Engel and Goodwin for a possible RF platoon . They both possess power and elite (Engel) to good (Goodwin) defense so maybe they don't need an upgrade in the OF .

Mendick. I love Danny . He works hard. He has a good approach . Nice ballplayer. So it's with no disrespect that I say I would rather have more pop at the position with Escobar. I say this because even with Eloy and Robert on the comeback trail, there might be setbacks that derail them or if they do make it back they may not be quite ready to start mashing HR's yet. Robert only hit 1 before he was injured . I think the Sox could be fine at 2nd base with Mendick but only if Eloy and Robert come back and become who they are supposed to be. Escobar is insurance in case they don't.

Ketel Marte is a good idea however I was just looking at his bWar and it's .4 . I love that he's versatile and he's hitting very well so I have to conclude that he's doesn't have much WAR because he's not all that defensively and/or on the bases. Plus he would be expensive to acquire given that he's signed through 2022 w/ team options for 23 and 24 and is 27 yrs old. Engel has already contributed .5 bWAR in his short time back and Goodwin .2. Those can go down as they get more AB's but it illustrates how valuable they have been in a very short time frame.

On the other hand there's Starling Marte who only plays OF but most of the time it's CF and he's a FA after this year . He would cost less to acquire (? ) than Ketel  and his bWar is 2.3 even though he's hitting on par with Ketel so that defense in CF gives him a significant higher value in WAR then Ketel.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

22 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Eaton has been absolutely dreadful, Sox need to upgrade RF more than they need to upgrade 2B.

I think you are a good poster so keep that in mind when I disagree. I don't think its as simple as where they need the upgrade more which is in itself debatable.

What the Sox need is more power and if there's a choice, more power from the left side. Lack of power will bite them in the ass eventually against better teams with better lineups and better pitching. Against better pitching they won't be able to string walks and hits together like they have been against weaker teams.

Now, we can assume Eloy and Robert will come back and provide that power or the Sox can hedge their bets in case either or both have setbacks and acquire more power as insurance. Right now it looks like the easiest and cheapest place to get the power is Escobar at 2nd base. Easiest and cheapest is where the Sox are likeliest to operate to preserve prospect capital especially since TLR is a big believer in a strong bullpen so it's likely the Sox also seek at least one good arm.

I guess we could debate all day the merits of Eloy or Vaughn in the OF and the value of Engel and Goodwin going forward  and how Mendick is fine at 2nd base  . But my guess is they go after Escobar unless the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

46 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

On the other hand there's Starling Marte who only plays OF but most of the time it's CF and he's a FA after this year . He would cost less to acquire (? ) than Ketel  and his bWar is 2.3 even though he's hitting on par with Ketel so that defense in CF gives him a significant higher value in WAR then Ketel.

I like Starling as an option a lot also, but he is a righty (His splits are awesome though)

My post and focus is on the playoffs moreso than the 5 weeks until Eloy is back.  The fact that sox need left handed impact EVEN when he is back. that can be either 2nd base or RF (I have lost complete faith in Eaton being serviceable the rest of the year and especially the playoffs), so while I agree that Goodwin has done a nice job and Lamb can give you some pop, you really need a lefty starter for all the RH starters they will see in playoffs. Mendick, Engel and Goodwin don't give that confidence to me...and Engel is going to be needed as a 7th inning on super defensive sub all October. Ketel is too expensive for sure, but is such an ideal fit since Eaton will NOT get his option picked up next year.

Starling, Escobar or Frazier are realistic...but shoot for the stars Hahn. Nothing less than a championship THIS year. his words. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

31 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I like Starling as an option a lot also, but he is a righty.

My post and focus is on the playoffs moreso than the 5 weeks until Eloy is back.  The fact that sox need left handed impact EVEN when he is back. that can be either 2nd base or RF (I have lost complete faith in Eaton being serviceable the rest of the year and especially the playoffs), so while I agree that Goodwin has done a nice job and Lamb can give you some pop, you really need a lefty starter for all the RH starters they will see in playoffs. Mendick, Engel and Goodwin don't give that confidence to me...and Engel is going to be needed as a 7th inning on super defensive sub all October. Ketel is too expensive for sure, but is such an ideal fit since Eaton will NOT get his option picked up next year.

Starling, Escobar or Frazier are realistic...but shoot for the stars Hahn. Nothing less than a championship THIS year. his words. 

Right I 100% agree we need more LH hitting which is why I advocate for Escobar.  And as you say "shoot for the stars" was also a post of mine basically  when I said I don't believe there will be sustained success or believe that the pitching prospects currently in the system will ever be good enough to give the Sox a better chance in the future to win a World Series as they have now with great starting pitching and a potentially great lineup once Eloy and Robert return. That post offended a lot of people who didn't want to shoot for the stars this year because it would hurt future years.

My post and focus is also on the playoffs. I thought I conveyed that pretty clearly in my post. I brought up the 5 weeks because I think what the Sox ultimately do is dependent on how certain players perform.  But like you I already know they will need more LH hitting ( I say with power ) . I don't know how many AL teams have won a World Series recently while being the 2nd worse HR hitting team in the AL at or near the All Star Break. I like that Engel and Goodwin have hit 4 HR's between them in the short time they have been in the line up and the defense they provide .

Ketel is a really good player and versatile which I also love but the power is lacking. Now it might not make a difference if Eloy comes back and starts raking but I think it's essential to add power in case he doesn't . If the Sox "shoot for the stars" then they will have to give up a lot of prospect capital which is likely to be some pitching prospects. Shooting for the stars would mean Ketel or Escobar or both and relief pitching. You know they have to get more relief pitching and you know the chances of the Sox hurting the promised future window is not going to happen.

It should be pretty lively around here  when the Sox eventually get around to doing whatever they do.

• Love 1

On 6/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, GermanSoxFan said:

Eaton has been absolutely dreadful, Sox need to upgrade RF more than they need to upgrade 2B.

it's crazy how hot he started the season, seemed like he was hitting a HR every week.  but I predicted that he would spend a shitload of time on the IL, I said it before the season even started. it was a horrible signing. it's one thing to be cheap, but you're wasting money when the guy can't even play

and this has nothing to do with all the injuries this year.  Eaton was always known to be an injury risk.  just an awful signing

11 hours ago, poppysox said:

In my view almost all right fielders can play left but not all left fielders can play right.  Mostly...it's an arm strength thing.

I agree but Eaton is a good example of a player who has played RF- 49% and CF-46% and LF- 5%. Could be just a coincidence based on teams he played on but he rarely plays LF.  My thought is if we acquire an OF and Eaton gets back quickly, we may need a LF more than a RF especially against RH pitching. 

• 2 weeks later...