Eaton to IL, Burdi up

Heads22

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Our Chuck just said Adam Eaton told him that he is close to a return before tonight's game.

He's so low on the OF depth chart. I don't see how he stays in the team when the OF gets healthy. 

Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Engel, Hamilton, Goodwin, Sheets. All those guys should be above him on the depth chart. I hope they don't keep him simply because he is a veteran and is getting paid 7m. 

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

He's so low on the OF depth chart. I don't see how he stays in the team when the OF gets healthy. 

Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Engel, Hamilton, Goodwin, Sheets. All those guys should be above him on the depth chart. I hope they don't keep him simply because he is a veteran and is getting paid 7m. 

I'm not a big Eaton fan by any stretch, but he's a sunk cost at this point and rates higher than Hamilton, Goodwin and Sheets in terms of a starting OFer. 

Also hoping the White Sox no longer consider Eloy an OFer, not sure if/when Engel will return and be able to play consistently this season after the first half.

That leaves LF Vaughn, CF Robert RF Eaton as the likely playoff OF. The wild card is whether Eloy is fulltime DH, or only partial (allowing Grandal to DH for Collins starts).

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm not a big Eaton fan by any stretch, but he's a sunk cost at this point and rates higher than Hamilton, Goodwin and Sheets in terms of a starting OFer. 

Also hoping the White Sox no longer consider Eloy an OFer, not sure if/when Engel will return and be able to play consistently this season after the first half.

That leaves LF Vaughn, CF Robert RF Eaton as the likely playoff OF. The wild card is whether Eloy is fulltime DH, or only partial (allowing Grandal to DH for Collins starts).

Goodwin has simply been better than Eaton so far. Sheets is making a case. Hamilton is a great pinch runner and defensive replacement. I just don't see how Eaton fits on the team anymore. 

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I think he's more deserving of a spot that Goodwin for sure.

I feel like with Billy relegated to pinch run / late inning defense role because his noodle bat is even more worthless with a bad oblique, Goodwin has to stay.  Unless they trade for Escobar next few days.  Otherwise you're pretty much locking yourself into Leury in CF and Mendick at 2B everyday.  

it was pretty obvious Billy was not healthy in his AB yesterday.  Still has a role on this team, but I don't think he can bat much at all right now. 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Goodwin has simply been better than Eaton so far. Sheets is making a case. Hamilton is a great pinch runner and defensive replacement. I just don't see how Eaton fits on the team anymore. 

Eaton was healthy in April, had a 126 OPS+ which would lead the team today. If he is fully healthy, he should produce above average OPS vs. RHP.

Goodwin is a NIR, a poor fielder and a .640 OPS. Sheets played two games, and is a far below average OF at this stage. Hamilton is fine as the fifth OF. With 2 or 3 non catcher bench spots, Goodwin is the one who goes if Eaton and the rest return healthy.

2021 Playoff Roster (13 hitters): C Grandal. Collins (R) INF Abreu, Anderson, Garcia, Mendick (R), Moncada. OF/DH Eaton, Engel (R), Hamilton (R), Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

47 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Eaton was healthy in April, had a 126 OPS+ which would lead the team today. If he is fully healthy, he should produce above average OPS vs. RHP.

Goodwin is a NIR, a poor fielder and a .640 OPS. Sheets played two games, and is a far below average OF at this stage. Hamilton is fine as the fifth OF. With 2 or 3 non catcher bench spots, Goodwin is the one who goes if Eaton and the rest return healthy.

2021 Playoff Roster (13 hitters): C Grandal. Collins (R) INF Abreu, Anderson, Garcia, Mendick (R), Moncada. OF/DH Eaton, Engel (R), Hamilton (R), Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn.

I agree with your playoff roster except that I think a trade acquisition replaces Mendick. Too bad Goodwin can't be optioned because I'm not 100% sold that Eaton is better than him when he gets back and I'd love the option to DFA Eaton after a month if he doesn't produce.