Sox @ Astros, 6/18 7:10 Central

gusguyman

Apparently no one wants the gamethread after yesterday's beatdown. Ye of little faith. I'll guess I can handle the next few days of gamethreads 😏

Pitching probables are LHP Hard Carl Rodon vs RHP Luis Garcia.

Garcia was the Astros 13th ranked prospect last year, but he's having a solid season. He has 63.1 IP across 13 games, 11 of those starts. He has compiled a 2.98 ERA, but it is a half run better than his 3.40 xERA, and a full run better than his 3.83 FIP. He throws a 93 MPH fastball almost 50% of the time, then mixes in 21% cutter, 15% slider, 9% changeup, and 8% curveball. His statcast numbers are solid, but definitely not special.

Dg5DOOg.png

Rodon on the other hand has absolutely been special. He has a 1.89 ERA, a 2.53 xERA, and a 2.42 FIP.

4kqaI68.png

His statcast numbers are elite across the board.... except for exit velocity and hard hit%, strangely. It will be interesting to see if that is a problem for him against an Astros team that is in the middle of a massive power surge, with 10 straight games of 2+ home runs, led by Jose Altuve, who has 8 HRs in his last 10 games.

Oh, and fuck the Astros, they are dirty dirty cheaters.

EDIT - Lineups:

Edited by gusguyman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

Apparently no one wants the gamethread after yesterday's beatdown. Ye of little faith. I'll guess I can handle the next few days of gamethreads 😏

Pitching probables are Hard Carl Rodon vs Luis Garcia.

Garcia was the Astros 13th ranked prospect last year, but he's having a solid season. He has 63.1 IP across 13 games, 11 of those starts. He has compiled a 2.98 ERA, but it is a have run better than his 3.40 xERA, and a full run better than his 3.83 FIP. He throws a 93 MPH fastball almost 50% of the time, then mixes in 21% cutter, 15% slider, 9% changeup, and 8% curveball. His statcast numbers are solid, but definitely not special.

Dg5DOOg.png

Rodon on the other hand has absolutely been special. He has a 1.89 ERA, a 2.53 xERA, and a 2.42 FIP.

4kqaI68.png

His statcast numbers are elite across the board.... except for exit velocity and hard hit%, strangely. It will be interesting to see if that is a problem for him against an Astros team that is in the middle of a massive power surge, with 10 straight games of 2+ home runs, led by Jose Altuve, who has 8 HRs in his last 10 games.

I had no idea Carlos' exit velocity was that bad. He's just missing bats this year, but when they hit it, it's been hard contact.

• bmags pinned this topic
2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Pitching probables are LHP Hard Carl Rodon vs RHP Luis Garcia.

Garcia was the Astros 13th ranked prospect last year, but he's having a solid season. He has 63.1 IP across 13 games, 11 of those starts. He has compiled a 2.98 ERA, but it is a half run better than his 3.40 xERA, and a full run better than his 3.83 FIP. He throws a 93 MPH fastball almost 50% of the time, then mixes in 21% cutter, 15% slider, 9% changeup, and 8% curveball. His statcast numbers are solid, but definitely not special.

Dg5DOOg.png

4kqaI68.png

Awesome post!

It looks like the Sox left their smoke and mirrors back in Chicago. Before yesterday's game I said I'd be satisfied with the Sox winning one of this four game series. Winning one would still be okay, getting swept wouldn't. A split of the series would be great, but it's unlikely. With all of the Sox injuries, the Astro's are currently fielding a more talented team.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jerry McNertney said:

It looks like the Sox left their smoke and mirrors back in Chicago. Before yesterday's game I said I'd be satisfied with the Sox winning one of this four game series. Winning one would still be okay, getting swept wouldn't. A split of the series would be great, but it's unlikely. With all of the Sox injuries, the Astro's are currently fielding a more talented team.

smoke and mirrors lol....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Weird, a "new poster" being critical of the best team in baseball because they lost a game.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Best run differential in MLB = smoke and mirrors.  

Good point.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

One of the few things in life more upsetting to Tony than Yermin hitting home runs is losing to Dusty Baker.

Expect the White Sox to go all out for a win tonight, including side trips to purchase Spider Tack, binoculars, Apple watches and garbage cans.

Altuve, he’s a dead man. Maldonado, dead. Kiermaier….Dead!

Go Sox!!!

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Nonsense 

1 hour ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Said the fourth string catcher . 

The smoke and mirrors line is one of the more goofy things I've read here, lol. Sox are missing lots of players but their pitching is what keeps them in most games, Cease had a horrible outing last night but that happens in baseball. If Rodon pitches well, the Sox will have a good chance of taking tonight's game.

Go Sox!

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

One of the few things in life more upsetting to Tony than Yermin hitting home runs is losing to Dusty Baker.

Expect the White Sox to go all out for a win tonight, including side trips to purchase Spider Tack, binoculars, Apple watches and garbage cans.

Altuve, he’s a dead man. Maldonado, dead. Kiermaier….Dead!

Go Sox!!!

Don't stop him, he's on an English Muffin.

The should be the beginning of the end for Mercedes.  Fun while it lasted but unless he comes out on fire soon, they need to turn elsewhere.   

Mendick has his days numbered as well.   Fingers crossed Burger stays hot in Charlotte and then finally gets his shot.  

1 minute ago, Moncada said:

The should be the beginning of the end for Mercedes.  Fun while it lasted but unless he comes out on fire soon, they need to turn elsewhere.   

Mendick has his days numbered as well.   Fingers crossed Burger stays hot in Charlotte and then finally gets his shot.  

Totally, Mendick is a bum and probably in  DFA territory since he only hit .318/..423/.455 after receiving consistent ABs for the first time. Let’s not forget he is. butcher at 2B.

• Thanks 1