Sox @ Astros, 6/18 7:10 Central

gusguyman

Long COVID, perhaps. My wife got COVID last winter and post-recovery had a recurrence of symptoms every 10-14 days until she got vaccinated. Mercifully free of symptoms since then.

Edited by Hamhock

5 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Apparently no one wants the gamethread after yesterday's beatdown. Ye of little faith. I'll guess I can handle the next few days of gamethreads 😏

Pitching probables are LHP Hard Carl Rodon vs RHP Luis Garcia.

Garcia was the Astros 13th ranked prospect last year, but he's having a solid season. He has 63.1 IP across 13 games, 11 of those starts. He has compiled a 2.98 ERA, but it is a half run better than his 3.40 xERA, and a full run better than his 3.83 FIP. He throws a 93 MPH fastball almost 50% of the time, then mixes in 21% cutter, 15% slider, 9% changeup, and 8% curveball. His statcast numbers are solid, but definitely not special.

Dg5DOOg.png

Rodon on the other hand has absolutely been special. He has a 1.89 ERA, a 2.53 xERA, and a 2.42 FIP.

4kqaI68.png

His statcast numbers are elite across the board.... except for exit velocity and hard hit%, strangely. It will be interesting to see if that is a problem for him against an Astros team that is in the middle of a massive power surge, with 10 straight games of 2+ home runs, led by Jose Altuve, who has 8 HRs in his last 10 games.

Oh, and fuck the Astros, they are dirty dirty cheaters.

It was hard to watch the Astro's pound the Sox pitching yesterday without thinking about the cheating. I'm sure I was imagining it but they looked awfully comfortable taking a lot of off speed pitches and teeing off on fastballs.

I watched Garcia pitch against Minnesota last Saturday and I wasn't all that impressed. He had been really good the previous 5 starts and Minnesota hit him really hard. He was leaving the cutter over the plate a lot. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Man, just when you thought Yoan was over it, it's still there. Sucks for him. 

I just think this type of stuff will be a problem for him long term. It's fine, he just needs to take care of himself as needed. Don't push things and really get hurt.