Sox @ Astros, 6/18 7:10 Central

gusguyman

12 minutes ago, wegner said:

2 losses in a row with virtually no offensive production....this team may be forcing RH to realize they need to be buyers.  They should still win the division but this offense needs help and the bullpen needs a reliable set up guy.

This is a great team when healthy no doubt, but we can’t let beating up on the Tigers convince us the offense is stronger than it is.  Reinforcements will be needed, at least for the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, there are very few prospects I’d be worried about moving.

My days of being mad about losing a Steele Walker are over...we are in the contention window and prospects are for going to get reinforcements at this point.  We might get burned in the long run sometimes but its gotta be done.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly. Escobar is versatile so if Moncada gets injured he can replace him along with being valuable from both sides of the plate and being the guy most likely to hit a HR in the whole Sox lineup as of today's lineup.

Fully agree.  Escobar isn’t a perfect player, but he’s the best option for 2B that won’t be overly costly.  Adding some power to the bottom of the lineup will help us immensely.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Bingo. 

He's infatuated with his phony OBP% stat that he refuses to attack early in the count.  All we needed was flyball contact.

I hate his game like no other player that's ever worn a Sox uniform.  Especially when accounting for what he's getting paid. 

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep and I’m fine not worrying about what they give up from the farm. There’s so little in terms of impact players in the minors that you take any value you can get.

As if other GMs don't notice this.

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

My days of being mad about losing a Steele Walker are over...we are in the contention window and prospects are for going to get reinforcements at this point.  We might get burned in the long run sometimes but its gotta be done.

Agreed.  I’d still target rentals to minimize the prospect cost, but we’re past the point of worrying too much about giving some B & C tier prospects.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fully agree.  Escobar isn’t a perfect player, but he’s the best option for 2B that won’t be overly costly.  Adding some power to the bottom of the lineup will help us immensely.

Not only that but without Eloy and Robert coming back the chances would be slim regardless who we get. Those 2 guys are potential a huge boost to the offense. I know no one wants to see Eloy in LF but when crunch time comes that's where is is going to be . Keep him out of LF as long as you can if you can stay at the top of the division and be close to the best record in baseball but home field advantage would be another huge factor for this team.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d still rather not move those guys if possible, but I agree we can’t let one or two of those prospects hold us back from filling a major league need during our window.

Of course that's where I stand as well. Hahn has to decide if he believes his own rhetoric about sustained success  and if the juice is worth the squeeze.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not only that but without Eloy and Robert coming back the chances would be slim regardless who we get. Those 2 guys are potential a huge boost to the offense. I know no one wants to see Eloy in LF but when crunch time comes that's where is is going to be . Keep him out of LF as long as you can if you can stay at the top of the division and be close to the best record in baseball but home field advantage would be another huge factor for this team.

Unless Yermin turns it around, I would guess Eloy finishes the year at DH when he returns.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Fans are gonna freak when the Sox have a bottom 5 farm system....while having a top 5 MLB team

They are already freaking when I dare tell it like it is. I' m really sorry if they don't like hearing it but I'll believe they have a shot at a longer than 4 year window when I see it. Last year started it this is the 2nd year and probably the best chance we got in those 4 yrs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Fans are gonna freak when the Sox have a bottom 5 farm system....while having a top 5 MLB team

We merely want to know if Cespedes and/Vera are going to miss the entire season due to a paperwork backlog tied to Covid and previous admistration policy reversals on Cuba. 

Never would have thought Burger would be the biggest story of first half, though. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

We merely want to know if Cespedes and/Vera are going to miss the entire season due to a paperwork backlog tied to Covid and previous admistration policy reversals on Cuba. 

Never would have thought Burger would be the biggest story of first half, though. 

Is Burger ready for the big leagues?

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They are already freaking when I dare tell it like it is. I' m really sorry if they don't like hearing it but I'll believe they have a shot at a longer than 4 year window when I see it. Last year started it this is the 2nd year and probably the best chance we got in those 4 yrs.

Depends on how good Robert is in 2022-23.  Still not seeing how we can compensate for leadership loss of Abreu, Gio and especially Anderson after 2024.  Those are our Aaron Rowands and Carl Everett's. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Unless Yermin turns it around, I would guess Eloy finishes the year at DH when he returns.

Not sure what finishes the year at DH means? Does that mean he will never play LF at all the rest of the season?  What about the playoffs ? I understand it's a difficult question dependent on who the Sox pick up but let's say it's Escobar and not Starling Marte ? Then what ?

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I think Eloy gets one more go at LF. If he gets hurt again, even he will realize he can't play outfield.

Just now, greg775 said:

Is Burger ready for the big leagues?

Well, who knows after Mercedes' April.  Especially if he can transition to 2B without getting hurt again at Charlotte.  He's not dominating offensively, but he's doing far better than expected after such a lengthy layoff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Depends on how good Robert is in 2022-23.  Still not seeing how we can compensate for leadership loss of Abreu, Gio and especially Anderson after 2024.  Those are our Aaron Rowands and Carl Everett's. 

No depends on how good the pitching is . If Robert stays healthy he is plenty good enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not sure what finishes the year at DH means? Does that mean he will never play LF at all the rest of the season?  What about the playoffs ? I understand it's a difficult question dependent on who the Sox pick up but let's say it's Escobar and not Starling Marte ? Then what ?

My thinking is...if Eloy comes back this offense cannot risk him going down again this season....the safest way to do that is to have him be the primary DH for the rest of this season.