Sox @ Astros, 6/18 7:10 Central

gusguyman

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, Collins is almost certainty the second slowest guy on the team after Grandal.  Just doesn’t make sense to hit & run with him outside of very unique scenarios.

Slow runners make their run expectancy go up. You should not be hitting and running with fast runners because there's better opportunities for them on the basepaths. 

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Slow runners make their run expectancy go up. You should not be hitting and running with fast runners because there's better opportunities for them on the basepaths. 

Below average speed perhaps, but we’re talking about a guy in the bottom 10% of sprint speed.  If the hitter fails to execute then the base runner is dead to rights.  I’m not against if we’re playing for a single run late in the game or a high contact / high contact hitter is up like Madrigal, but that wasn’t the situation.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Below average speed perhaps, but we’re talking about a guy in the bottom 10% of sprint speed.  If the hitter fails to execute then the base runner is dead to rights.  I’m not against if we’re playing for a single run late in the game or a high contact / high contact hitter is up like Madrigal, but that wasn’t the situation.

It’s a dumb play period, just like attempting to steal without a better than 3 of 4 success rate, or bunting except for pitchers who shouldn’t be batting in the first place.

No lesser authority than Earl Weaver preached against the use of the hit-and-run play in his book, Weaver on Strategy:

I don’t have a hit-and-run sign, and I believe it’s the worst play in baseball… you often give the opposition an out on the hit-and-run play. That’s because you can’t trust the pitcher to throw a strike, so the hitter is often waving weakly at a ball that’s off the plate. That usually results in a weak grounder that gets the runner to second, but the hitter is easily retired at first. Hell, you may as well bunt! Over the course of the season, only a few guys actually get hits on the hit-and-run play, because everything must go right for it to work. About the only thing you can say for the hit-and-run is that it prevents the double-play grounder. But when you add up the caught stealing, the weak grounders, and the line-drive double plays, that advantage vanishes. I’ll take my chances with a normal swing anytime.

• Like 1