Jose Abreu - This is the End?

ron883

Beautiful friend, the end...

Jose with the lowest OPS of his career. Chw42 posted a very interesting stat yesterday. 

Jose vs. fastballs over 95 MPH this year: .158 BA and .237 SLG. 

Jose vs. fastballs over 95 MPH last year: .371 BA and .857 SLG.

Jose vs. fastballs over 95 MPH in 2019: .348 BA and .623 SLG. 

Jose's bat just seems noticeably slower this year. He absolutely can't catch up to fastballs 95+ this year. The Sox really need his bat if they want to compete this year. It's very concerning. 

• Like 2

if Abreu had been trending down vs the fastball over the last few seasons I would say you were onto something

it's much more likely that he's playing with some sort of mild injury, likely an oblique or something vs he just can't hit fastballs anymore

Edited by joesaiditstrue
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

if Abreu had been trending down vs the fastball over the last few seasons I would say you were into something

it's much more likely that he's playing with some sort of mild injury, likely an oblique or something vs he just can't hit fastballs anymore

cant imagine these lineups with him on the IL, what a brutal fucking year health wise

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ron needs to be sent down. This wasn't even a good attempt.  He's just going through the troll motions now.

I regret giving him the fire power to fuel his Abreu hate. 

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

i dont see 'troll' in that stat, its worrisome because you dont just lose it after a year like that. Is he hurt? I doubt he would tell the staff.

Thank you. Plenty of people here let their unconscious bias get in the way of the facts I posted. How is that not worrisome to Sox fans?? The stat is just ugly. 

3 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

Jose had COVID in the offseason correct?  Is it possible he's going through the same thing Moncada did last year?  I know he said he was asymptomatic back in Feb. but maybe that could part of the reason for his mediocre offense.

Honestly?

He looks like he is pressing.  When the team is going bad, he expands his zone to try to get hits in key situations.  I see him going after a lot of junk in the left handers batters box instead of forcing pitchers to come to him.  He is trying to put this team on his back.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly?

He looks like he is pressing.  When the team is going bad, he expands his zone to try to get hits in key situations.  I see him going after a lot of junk in the left handers batters box instead of forcing pitchers to come to him.  He is trying to put this team on his back.

I can see that.  Also losing his protection in Eloy and having to face a variety of teams besides the Central are also probably playing a factor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxFanForever said:

I can see that.  Also losing his protection in Eloy and having to face a variety of teams besides the Central are also probably playing a factor.

It is a statement of how much he trusts the hitters behind him for sure.  When Eloy is back there, he takes his walks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is a statement of how much he trusts the hitters behind him for sure.  When Eloy is back there, he takes his walks.

Except Abreu is posting his highest BB% yet in a season where Eloy hasn't been behind him all year.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And two of those have come in the last two weeks.

Expanding walks by month:

April 12

May 9

June 3

Not sure what your point is here. I was just pointing out that your statement that Abreu walks more when Eloy protects him isn't supported by the data.