a bit of perspective..

harkness99

Thank you. There’s actually a lot of perspective to be gained from taking a step back from the ledge (including what you posted):

- every championship team has bad losing streaks at some point in the season.

- we are down three starters, Moncada doesn’t feel right, and we have zero depth.

- while it sucks to lose 4 in a row to a playoff bound team, we were on the road and they are a good team. I would rather lose 4 in a row on the road to a good team than get swept in Detroit or KC like the Sox do some seasons they are contenders. 

- we identified a lot of fundamental weaknesses by having this happen in June, well before the trade deadline, when we can add. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

If the team was healthy I’d 100% agree.

But are you really looking at these lineups and thinking that under performing is the issue? I think we are sending out bad lineups that are performing about as expected. There’s just no way I can logically think that sending Luery, Mendick, Mercedes, Goodwin/Lamb/Eaton out as regulars for another month + is going to “work itself out”. 

The question for me is whether or not the pitching staff can continue to carry the team and keep things afloat until reinforcements come…or does a move need to be made sooner rather than later

• Love 2

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

But are you really looking at these lineups and thinking that under performing is the issue? I think we are sending out bad lineups that are performing about as expected. There’s just no way I can logically think that sending Luery, Mendick, Mercedes, Goodwin/Lamb/Eaton out as regulars for another month + is going to “work itself out”. 

The question for me is whether or not the pitching staff can continue to carry the team and keep things afloat until reinforcements come…or does a move need to be made sooner rather than later

well yeah our pitching has carried us for most of the year.. but it has to with missing some of our best hitters of course.

Edited by harkness99

On 6/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, TheFutureIsNear said:

I've been writing off the bad offense to missing so many guys, but here are the OPS for the last 30 days from the guys who aren't missing: Moncada 778, Vaughn 747, Anderson 732, Abreu 710, Eaton 540, Mercedes 348. Only Grandal is above 800, joined by replacement guys by Goodwin, Engel and Lamb.

Maybe getting Eloy and Robert back will take the pressure off these guys and they will do better, but I'm starting to get a bit worried about TA and Jose specifically.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Pitching wins a lot of games, and I do think the rotation will keep the Sox in many games. But I think a move needs to be made sooner rather than later. There is no need for panic because of the Houston series, but the team got exposed somewhat. You're right. The players you mentioned aren't going to help much. Merely hoping for the best is not the answer.

8 hours ago, raBBit said:

Didn't the Astros have a bunch of COVID positives when they were struggling? I am like 90% sure that is case because I took some futures bets on them at that point. 

looked the the stretch of 1-9 they had ... looks like all their main players were playing to me.