Color Guy: Who did it better?

IWokeUpLikeThis

Better Color Guy?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Better Color Guy?

• Gordon Beckham
    • Donn Pall

So I always liked Beckham - but I thought it was such a dull listen to.  Benetti was pulling teeth trying to get him to tell some stories, etc, but just not natural at all.  No surprise with this being his first rodeo but really not a good showing, imo.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So I always liked Beckham - but I thought it was such a dull listen to.  Benetti was pulling teeth trying to get him to tell some stories, etc, but just not natural at all.  No surprise with this being his first rodeo but really not a good showing, imo.  

This

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I only watched a little this weekend, but Benetti “interviewing” his color guy gets a little old for me. I’d rather he just call the game and let the color guy comment. A little bit of silence and ambient sound isn’t the end of the world on a baseball TV broadcast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’ve heard of Pall Mall, but haven’t heard that Donn Pall was a color commentator. For how many games?

Filled in for a few games circa 2005, perhaps earlier. 

Gordon’s stint reminded me of Donn Pall in that they’re both likable and fun personalities, but trainwrecks when it comes to broadcasting skills. If you catch an ‘05 re-run with Donn Pall, it’ll be a trainwreck you can’t move your eyes away from. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I thought it was absolutely stellar.  

I think Frank is great on the post game show. However, I think Benetti's habit of "interviewing the color guy" was a little too much. It seemed like they spent much of the broadcast talking about Frank. And it doesn't seem like a topic that Frank is hesitant to discuss.

I think with a little more experience together they could make a really good play-by-play team.

21 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Are they auditioning for a steve stone replacement?  Wheres he at?

Busy on Twitter (unverified account, cause well his consistently poor behavior on twitter), stating Jason could make Shrek look like a great analyst, countering his "Big Frank's job well done" statement.

1 minute ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Gordon’s evaluation of Yermin was spot on. Both YM and Vaughn are trying to pull outside pitches.

Frank echoed the sentiment.

I’m still a steve stone guy, and I’d rather have Wimpy back from time to time if Stone is off.

Frank's best days were went he was killing right and right center, and then ambushing an inner half fastball.

There is a lot of truth to that for Jose Abreu as well, and I can see it being true for Andrew Vaughn as well.  Vaughn I see as very Konerko-esque.  When Paulie would go into one of his mega-slumps, I knew it was about to end when he would pound a few solid singles to RF.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

2 hours ago, Green Line said:

Are they auditioning for a steve stone replacement?  Wheres he at?

He's 73 years old. The baseball season is a long grind. Apparently he has dogs in Arizona that he wants to visit from time to time. And somebody on here says the Sox announcers do not travel to road games (is this possible?) If that's true, it has to stink covering games off TV. No thanks. Just my takes.