6/22: Chicago White Sox @ Pittsburgh 6:05 PM CDT

36 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox face a lefty today and righty tomorrow.

What I would do

Today vs. LHP

R SS Anderson
R CF Engel
S 3B Moncada
R 1B Abreu
R LF Vaughn
S C  Grandal
S RF Garcia
R 2B Mendick
R P  Giolito

Tomorrow vs. RHP

R SS Anderson
L RF Lamb
S 3B Moncada
R 1B Abreu
L C   Collins
R LF Vaughn
L CF Goodwin
R 2B Mendick
R P  Cease

Engel to IL 😫

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If Lucas Giolito can't throw to Yasmani Grandal, he's not as good as people think he is. This offense sucks right now. It's more important than Giolito's feelings. 

Might not be feelings. Many pitchers ( actually athletes) are very superstitious with their pregame and in-game routines. All the weird food guys like Boggs, Verlander and Morneau. Watch how often a pitcher still refuses to step on the lines when going from mound to dugout. How often when a pitcher is throwing a no-hitter does he end up all alone in the dugout. Maybe Gio is just very much influenced by superstitions

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Surly a baseball writer should understand pairing pitchers with catchers goes far beyond placating a pitcher’s “feelings”.

Pitch calling, feel, confidence a catcher can catch their best breaking pitches in the dirt. These are some of the factors involved. These are also among “The elite” Grandal’s many weaknesses. It’s why Rodon and Giolito have had far greater success with the “non-Grandal”option when they have pitched at their best.

This is why teams, including the White Sox, pair catchers with pitchers when a comfort level is reached. It’s a far more important factor running a baseball team than concern over placating fan’s feelings regarding lineups.

Nah man. Clearly, any dope can write about baseball. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Please, please, please win tonight....I don't think this site can take another loss at this time.

I kind of want to see it happen just to witness the "Rebuild is a failure" threads because of one losing streak which happens to every single team in baseball at some point.

Maybe even a new poster named Ragggeh Raggeh will join to yell I told you so.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I kind of want to see it happen just to witness the "Rebuild is a failure" threads because of one losing streak which happens to every single team in baseball at some point.

We are going to have to agree to disagree here Ray....I do not want to see that at all.

Ask yourself, "What would make Crede happy tonight?"

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree here Ray....I do not want to see that at all.

Ask yourself, "What would make Crede happy tonight?"

jaja, obviously would want to see a win, but like a car wreck, I can't look away from the lunacy after a singular loss in a long baseball season.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

jaja, obviously would want to see a win, but like a car wreck, I can't look away from the lunacy after a singular loss in a long baseball season.

DAMNIT RAY...IT WOULD NOT BE A SINGULAR LOSS...IT WOULD BE 5 LOSSES IN A ROW....DON'T YOU CARE AT ALL??!!??

By the way...if the team from the Northside of town could score some runs this evening that would be much appreciated.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, I quoted your comments regarding Lucas' feelings.

Katz and the staff clearly think otherwise, as does the rest of MLB.

Starting Collins tonight doesn't give the Sox the best chance to win. Giolito better shove. 

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm with Jimmy. Collins should not be starting against a god damn lefty. Fucking ridiculous. Why does it feel like the White Sox put out suboptimal lineups more often than not?

Because they've got a whole bunch of suboptimal players.

5 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Because they've got a whole bunch of suboptimal players.

While 9 Mike Trout's would be the optimal lineup, I'm talking about optimizing the lineup with the pieces the team has. 

Edited by ron883

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

While 9 Mike Trout's would be the optimal lineup, I'm talking about optimizing the lineup with the pieces the team has. 

I'd be curious to know how much our manager is relying on his stomach vs his analytics department. I think the answer to your question lies within.

27 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm with Jimmy. Collins should not be starting against a god damn lefty. Fucking ridiculous. Why does it feel like the White Sox put out suboptimal lineups more often than not?

You're living under a rock? 

How many more "Breaking: XYZ to the IL" headlines do you need to read? 

Edited by HOFHurt35

32 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Starting Collins tonight doesn't give the Sox the best chance to win. Giolito better shove. 

Your opinion is not supported by facts. It’s your feelings that have been exposed, not Lucas’. 

Win probability determines the better chance at winning. A starting pitchers success has a far greater impact than a couple of at bats at the bottom of a lineup.

When there are bad moves, such as bunting, hit and run, using your worst pitchers in high leverage situations, to not shifting your defense to hitter tendencies, the things Tony’s “gut” tells him to do, than I am critical because it lowers the teams win probability.

Catching Collins with Giolito and Rodon increases the team’s probability, and in this instance I credit Tony, and or Katz, for making the smart decision.

Perhaps Hahn should have considered Grandal’s ability to, I don’t know, catch a baseball, or work with pitchers, or call a game, before plopping down $76M on a guy that is limited to “cheating umpires”  and gathering a bunch of empty walks at the bottom of the lineup, becoming a LOB because pitchers just pitch around him to face Leury.

You can’t hit Grandal at the top of the lineup, because he won’t come close to walking at those rates with pitchers actually challenging him. He will ground into even more DPs, and clog the bases the rare times he does reach.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Your opinion is not supported by facts. It’s your feelings that have been exposed, not Lucas’. 

Win probability determines the better chance at winning. A starting pitchers success has a far greater impact than a couple of at bats at the bottom of a lineup.

When there are bad moves, such as bunting, hit and run, using your worst pitchers in high leverage situations, to not shifting your defense to hitter tendencies, the things Tony’s “gut” tells him to do, than I am critical because it lowers the teams win probability.

Catching Collins with Giolito and Rodon increases the team’s probability, and in this instance I credit Tony, and or Katz, for making the smart decision.

Perhaps Hahn should have considered Grandal’s ability to, I don’t know, catch a baseball, or work with pitchers, or call a game, before plopping down $76M on a guy that is limited to “cheating umpires”  and gathering a bunch of empty walks at the bottom of the lineup, becoming a LOB because pitchers just pitch around him to face Leury.

You can’t hit Grandal at the top of the lineup, because he won’t come close to walking at those rates with pitchers actually challenging him. He will ground into even more DPs, and clog the bases the rare times he does reach.

This is fucking absurd lol 

• Thanks 1