6/22: Chicago White Sox @ Pittsburgh 6:05 PM CDT

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Collins catching Giolito doesn't have to mean Grandal is out of the lineup. There is another position Grandal plays.

Truth. Abreu has been a joke lately. However, you gotta roll with his bat against a lefty. Grandal should be catching. 

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Your opinion is not supported by facts. It’s your feelings that have been exposed, not Lucas’. 

Win probability determines the better chance at winning. A starting pitchers success has a far greater impact than a couple of at bats at the bottom of a lineup.

When there are bad moves, such as bunting, hit and run, using your worst pitchers in high leverage situations, to not shifting your defense to hitter tendencies, the things Tony’s “gut” tells him to do, than I am critical because it lowers the teams win probability.

Catching Collins with Giolito and Rodon increases the team’s probability, and in this instance I credit Tony, and or Katz, for making the smart decision.

Perhaps Hahn should have considered Grandal’s ability to, I don’t know, catch a baseball, or work with pitchers, or call a game, before plopping down $76M on a guy that is limited to “cheating umpires”  and gathering a bunch of empty walks at the bottom of the lineup, becoming a LOB because pitchers just pitch around him to face Leury.

You can’t hit Grandal at the top of the lineup, because he won’t come close to walking at those rates with pitchers actually challenging him. He will ground into even more DPs, and clog the bases the rare times he does reach.

Weird anti-Grandal vibes here that are pretty funny. You can't hit a guy with a 385 OBP at the top of the order. Odd stuff all around.

So Giolito is such a pussy he can't tell Grandal what he wants to throw? Sad!

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Weird anti-Grandal vibes here that are pretty funny. You can't hit a guy with a 385 OBP at the top of the order. Odd stuff all around.

What’s sad is the lack of understanding the catcher’s defense and work with a pitcher is far more valuable than accumulating a bunch of walks ahead of Leury Garcia, not to mention a shit load of backwards Ks because he’s a statue both behind and at the plate.

I’ll rely on the judgement of, I don’t know, pitchers who pitch no hitters, not to mention the FO and Katz who have decided this is the best route than the rabble on Sox Talk, not even “elite” future sox writers. Lolz

Edited by South Side Hit Men

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What do injuries have to do with TLR's choice of when to play each catcher?

22 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Collins catching Giolito doesn't have to mean Grandal is out of the lineup. There is another position Grandal plays.

This is true. Unless the Sox are playing in an NL park like they are tonight.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Also, the stats play out why Tony gave up on trying to get productive at bats out of he who shall not swing at anything.

Tony knows this, leaves him at the bottom of the order even though the whole team is injured, because Grandal hasn’t done shit when pitchers pitch to him at the top of the order, with legitimate hitters ahead and behind him.

Grandal 2021 OPS by lineup position:

• 2nd .424
  • 3rd .425
  • 4th .600
  • 5th .465
  • 6th .908
  • 7th 1.750

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What’s sad is the lack of understanding the catcher’s defense and work with a pitcher is far more valuable than accumulating a bunch of walks ahead of Leury Garcia, not to mention a shit load of backwards Ks because he’s a statue both behind and at the plate.

I’ll rely on the judgement of, I don’t know, pitchers who pitch no hitters, not to mention the FO and Katz who have decided this is the best route than the rabble on Sox Talk, not even “elite” future sox writers. Lolz

Why would a guy batting at the top of a lineup accumulate walks in front of Leury Garcia?

When your offense lacks power and talent, as the Sox does now, I would think a 124 wRC+ player would be a pretty valuable piece to have.

So you'll defer to the FO who gave Yaz the biggest contract per year in their franchises history. Gotcha, glad we could agree!

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Also, the stats play out why Tony gave up on trying to get productive at bats out of he who shall not swing at anything.

Tony knows this, leaves him at the bottom of the order even though the whole team is injured, because Grandal hasn’t done shit when pitchers pitch to him at the top of the order, with legitimate hitters ahead and behind him.

Grandal 2021 OPS by lineup position:

• 2nd .424
  • 3rd .425
  • 4th .600
  • 5th .465
  • 6th .908
  • 7th 1.750

Yes, surely those 21 AB's in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spot in the lineup are VERY telling.

E3VEYv0WUAEG6kR?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, surely those 21 AB's in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spot in the lineup are VERY telling.

Why don’t they bat him 2nd or 5th? That’s right, pitchers will continue to strike him out or get him to GIDP.

Bottom line, he bats in front of the White Sox equivalent of a pitcher, and draws a lot of walks. Give him a $76M extension, ASAP.

Don’t worry, he won’t cost you any money for no hit rings since “pussy’s” refuse to pitch to him.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering the OP was about suboptimal line ups, nothing.

OP, in response to Collins paying over Grandal:

"I'm with Jimmy. Collins should not be starting against a god damn lefty. Fucking ridiculous. Why does it feel like the White Sox put out suboptimal lineups more often than not?"

I guess people took this as "why is our lineup worse than other teams lineups?" It seemed obvious to me that I meant it is suboptimal compared to how the lineup could be constructed. Tony isn't optimizing the lineup. Suboptimal. Grandal over Collins would be clearly more optimal than vice versa. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

And the fact that he isn’t getting any more. What about the dozen games batting fifth? He also sucked ass.

Botyom line, he bats in front of the white six equivalent of a pitcher, and draws a lot of walks. Give him a $76M extension, ASAP.

Don’t worry, he won’t cost you any money for no hit rings since “pussy’s” refuse to pitch to him.

All I can do is laugh at the absurdity of your posts about Grandal pal. Have a good one.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All I can do is laugh at the absurdity of your posts about Grandal pal. Have a good one.

And mine on your posts regarding the Sox’ staff Aces carrying the team who you call “Pussys”

Elite “like Barry Bonds”, except he’s put at the bottom of the lineup because he’s more like Butters.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

While 9 Mike Trout's would be the optimal lineup, I'm talking about optimizing the lineup with the pieces the team has. 

SO I'm curious about how you feel about line up optimization when Vaughn plays against RHP ?

I know this may not optimize your choice between emoji points and the optimal lineup but let's hear it !

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

SO I'm curious about how you feel about line up optimization when Vaughn plays against RHP ?

I know this may not optimize your choice between emoji points and the optimal lineup but let's hear it !

Jake Lamb would look better in LF against a righty, but the team also needs to give Vaughn ABs against righties to develop. I'm going to play both sides here. Lamb and/or Vaughn against righties 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Truth. Abreu has been a joke lately. However, you gotta roll with his bat against a lefty. Grandal should be catching. 

Lucky to be playing in an interleague game today.   We haven't had a DH for six weeks.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering the OP was about suboptimal line ups, nothing.

I'm with Jimmy. Collins should not be starting against a god damn lefty. Fucking ridiculous. Why does it feel like the White Sox put out suboptimal lineups more often than not?

That is the post above. Ron is agreeing with Jimmy that choosing to play Collins against lefties instead of Grandal is suboptimal. I think you're aware that Jimmy and Ron are aware of the injuries the Sox have had.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Jake Lamb would look better in LF against a righty, but the team also needs to give Vaughn ABs against righties to develop. I'm going to play both sides here. Lamb and/or Vaughn against righties 👍

What about Goodwin ? wRC+ of 216 so far in a tiny sample size. Vaughn 35 wRC+ in much larger sample size. Mind you I'm not advocating Vaughn sit every night against RHP. Obviously he's needed because of injuries. Just thought I'd clarify that since the reading comprehension level decreases with the need to obscure the facts when I discuss this with others . Thank you for your honesty. Emoji from me.

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

That is the post above. Ron is agreeing with Jimmy that choosing to play Collins against lefties instead of Grandal is suboptimal. I think you're aware that Jimmy and Ron are aware of the injuries the Sox have had.

Ron thanks you.

33 minutes ago, ron883 said:

OP, in response to Collins paying over Grandal:

"I'm with Jimmy. Collins should not be starting against a god damn lefty. Fucking ridiculous. Why does it feel like the White Sox put out suboptimal lineups more often than not?"

I guess people took this as "why is our lineup worse than other teams lineups?" It seemed obvious to me that I meant it is suboptimal compared to how the lineup could be constructed. Tony isn't optimizing the lineup. Suboptimal. Grandal over Collins would be clearly more optimal than vice versa. 

I knew what you meant and I agree. Last Monday for example: Glasnow on the mound and you would think Lamb would start but he did not. Even with all the injuries and Moncada was out.

Edited by manbearpuig