Sox @ Pirates, 6/23, 11:35 CT

6 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This is the first game thread I have created all season. Cease vs. some guy named Chase De Jong is the pitching matchup. Time to get back on track.

Don't be surprised if Chase De Jong has only thrown 80 pitches by the end of the seventh.

It might be a good idea to have some outfield drills before today's game.  Almost had another collision last night.  Players should not be learning to call for the ball at the major league level.  Also, I am not keen on these ill-advised throws to home as the batter takes second base.  The hitting sucks and the defense is worse.  HELP!

• Like 1

BTW- I truly feel our bullpen issues may be somewhat fixed when MK gets back. He would be the 7th/8th inning guy and pushes everyone up.

I would like to see consistent roles for these guys 

Marshall/crotchet 6th inning

Heuer/bummer 7th

MK 8th

Hendriks 9th 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It might be a good idea to have some outfield drills before today's game.  Almost had another collision last night.  Players should not be learning to call for the ball at the major league level.  Also, I am not keen on these ill-advised throws to home as the batter takes second base.  The hitting sucks and the defense is worse.  HELP!

The touted improvements in being “prepared to play”, the details such as fielding responsibilities and fundamentals that Tony and his coaching staff (increased from Ricky’s staff by at least two) were “supposed to improve” have not been in evidence.

The Sox lead the league in errors, even regulars such have Tim and Yoan have been sloppy out there lately, with Jose, Vaughn and Billy Hamilton the three exceptions.

Lots of airmailed balls from the OF, some by Eaton were absolutely brutal. The team also needs to improve focus at the plate. The past five games have been brutal in terms of the collective approach, swing at the first pitch, continued flailing away at pitches down and out by Jose, Andrew, Yermin.

The team has looked like they are the final hour on the clock on a supermarket shift, and just want to get the fuck outta there. This is what needs to improve, regardless of who is playing.

Luis Gonzalez getting a start hitting 8th today in LF...isn't he currently the best CF option? Man, I wish Sheets got the call.

Anderson SS

Moncada 3B

Abreu 1B

Lamb RF

Grandal C

Goodwin CF

Garcia 2B

Gonzalez LF

Cease P

Edited by manbearpuig
Posted whole lineup
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Luis Gonzalez getting a start hitting 8th today in LF...isn't he currently the best CF option? Man, I wish Sheets got the call.

Anderson SS

Moncada 3B

Abreu 1B

Lamb RF

Grandal C

Goodwin CF

Garcia 2B

Gonzalez LF

Cease P

Lamb LF, Gonzalez CF, Goodwin RF would make much more sense.

58 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The touted improvements in being “prepared to play”, the details such as fielding responsibilities and fundamentals that Tony and his coaching staff (increased from Ricky’s staff by at least two) were “supposed to improve” have not been in evidence.

The Sox lead the league in errors, even regulars such have Tim and Yoan have been sloppy out there lately, with Jose, Vaughn and Billy Hamilton the three exceptions.

Lots of airmailed balls from the OF, some by Eaton were absolutely brutal. The team also needs to improve focus at the plate. The past five games have been brutal in terms of the collective approach, swing at the first pitch, continued flailing away at pitches down and out by Jose, Andrew, Yermin.

The team has looked like they are the final hour on the clock on a supermarket shift, and just want to get the fuck outta there. This is what needs to improve, regardless of who is playing.

Eaton's arm.

I seem to remember a play during his first stint when he held a live ball too long and cost the team something. I don't remember if there were runs scored, I'm kinda old and my clutch is slippin'.

Anyway, it warranted a talking to from Robin or somebody. After that, everytime he got the ball, people in the lower deck were in danger. Good thing there is protective nets now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Lamb LF, Gonzalez CF, Goodwin RF would make much more sense.

If Gonzalez isn't going to playing CF over anyone but Leury, there is no reason for him to be here.

Also for the record, by my count, this is quite literally our 3rd string OF taking the field today based on where we came into spring training.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Gonzalez isn't going to playing CF over anyone but Leury, there is no reason for him to be here.

Also for the record, by my count, this is quite literally our 3rd string OF taking the field today based on where we came into spring training.

Agreed. Might as well have a corner bat like Sheets here. Can even get some DH at bats against righties.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Agreed. Might as well have a corner bat like Sheets here. Can even get some DH at bats against righties.

Only rationale for Gonzalez over Sheets or Burgers is that maybe Hahn doesn't want either to come up just to ride the bench.  But I might be making that 'trying to make sense' mistake again.