zisk

Pretty sure Micker is out of options after 2021 even with the Sox being granted a "bonus" option on him.  With that being the case, I see no good reason we shouldn't give him a shot with all the injuries.  He's either on the 2022 OD roster, or he's in another org.  

He would strike out a ton and I am sure it will be super ugly, but he's pretty close to a do or die spot in this org.  I certainly would rather see him than Gonzalez.  

Edited by ChiSox59
spelling

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty sure Micker is out of options after 2021 even with the Sox being granted a "bonus" option on him.  With that being the case, I see no good reason we shouldn't give him a shot with all the injuries.  He's either on the 2022 OD roster, or he's in another org.  

He would strike out a ton and I am sure it will be super ugly, but he's pretty close to a do or die spot in this org.  I certainly would rather see him than Gonzalez.  

I have to imagine we are offering him around baseball right now along with a couple of others.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have to imagine we are offering him around baseball right now along with a couple of others.

I think that is one we may regret moving.  I could see him (and have felt this way for awhile) turning into an above average corner OF offensively.  He lost so much development time and losing 2020 was horrible for him to compound all the injuries.  He is an absolute monster of a man.  

But yeah - if they're not willing to try him out now with the OFs they're running out there lately, his days on this 40 man are numbered. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think that is one we may regret moving.  I could see him (and have felt this way for awhile) turning into an above average corner OF offensively.  He lost so much development time and losing 2020 was horrible for him to compound all the injuries.  He is an absolute monster of a man.  

But yeah - if they're not willing to try him out now with the OFs they're running out there lately, his days on this 40 man are numbered. 

Its a numbers and time game at this point.  With all of his injuries, we just ran out of time to really see what he was.  I don't want to lose him, but the calculus is rough.

Calling Adolfo up to the bigs would be like a throwing fireballs to a guy with a paper bat: no contact at all.  I was thinking the other day that maybe he turns into kind of a Cornmeal Reyes type but if so it'll probably be at least 1 year too late for us.  He has to be on the team next year in order to stay with us and I'm just not sure how we could hold him on the big club.  If he was a quality defensive CF he could fit, but he's not.

Also it's worth remembering all of those guys the Padres traded away.  If they can trade like 3 or 4 formerly highly-touted OFers who can't hit MLB pitching well enough to play for a contending team, we can trade Adolfo.  If there is a buyer.

Maybe he will end up turning into something with another team, but it almost certainly can't be us.  Maybe if he hadn't lost something like 50-60% of his MiLB to injuries (either while on the DL or on the field playing through them) he would be killing it in Charlotte by now, or better.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Problem with Micker is he's still running a 36% k-rate down there. No doubt he smacks the ball when he hits it, but he's got to make more contact.

This is the only number that matters. Even promoting him to AAA would be borderline criminal at this point. He has to make more contact.

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Calling Adolfo up to the bigs would be like a throwing fireballs to a guy with a paper bat: no contact at all.  I was thinking the other day that maybe he turns into kind of a Cornmeal Reyes type but if so it'll probably be at least 1 year too late for us.  He has to be on the team next year in order to stay with us and I'm just not sure how we could hold him on the big club.  If he was a quality defensive CF he could fit, but he's not.

Also it's worth remembering all of those guys the Padres traded away.  If they can trade like 3 or 4 formerly highly-touted OFers who can't hit MLB pitching well enough to play for a contending team, we can trade Adolfo.  If there is a buyer.

Maybe he will end up turning into something with another team, but it almost certainly can't be us.  Maybe if he hadn't lost something like 50-60% of his MiLB to injuries (either while on the DL or on the field playing through them) he would be killing it in Charlotte by now, or better.

Margot, Renfroe, Cordero, Naylor and Reyes aren’t exactly the same as Adolfo.

Taylor Trammell closer, but he was a consensus Top 50 prospect.

Trammel, Margot, etc. etc. that were all mentioned are probably good comps. You just simply can't be a 36% Strikeout guy in AA. It just doesn't translate to the majors even in the environment we live in nowadays where stirking out is acceptable. The only people who can get away with that are those who walk a ton (gallo) as well. 

He's trayce thomphson, trammell, margot, etc. A guy who you might be able to ride for a 3-4 week hot stretch, but ultimately, the game doesn't translate. Maybe with more consistent playing time, and hopefully not being injured he can find another level, but unfortunatley i doubt he makes much of a difference ever. 

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Trammel, Margot, etc. etc. that were all mentioned are probably good comps. You just simply can't be a 36% Strikeout guy in AA. It just doesn't translate to the majors even in the environment we live in nowadays where stirking out is acceptable. The only people who can get away with that are those who walk a ton (gallo) as well. 

He's trayce thomphson, trammell, margot, etc. A guy who you might be able to ride for a 3-4 week hot stretch, but ultimately, the game doesn't translate. Maybe with more consistent playing time, and hopefully not being injured he can find another level, but unfortunatley i doubt he makes much of a difference ever. 

Another key difference is those guys can play CF and are more than capable defenders.  The reason Gonzalez was in there at the end of the game and almost made a really nice sliding play to end it down the RF line.   Adolfo used to have the arm, but certainly not the range factor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Another key difference is those guys can play CF and are more than capable defenders.  The reason Gonzalez was in there at the end of the game and almost made a really nice sliding play to end it down the RF line.   Adolfo used to have the arm, but certainly not the range factor.

I agree. I think the reason they didn’t call up Sheets or Adolfo is mostly for defensive reasons. Without Engel and Eaton, the defense would be very sketchy. Even Goodwin takes some pretty curious routes to the ball. Vaughn has done well catching the ball, but his decisions on where to throw the ball haven’t always been great.

36 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

After getting three hits yesterday, Adolfo is hitting all of .241 @ Birmingham.

Our starting LF today was hitting under .200 in a hitter paradise in Charlotte. So yeah….not a lot of great options. 

7 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Have to say at this point it was a bad signing 

Injuries have really derailed him year after year. It's easy to see the tools when he's on a heater (and healthy), he has just never really stayed on the field all that consistently in his tenure here. Hopefully he's able to keep swinging it well and build up more value with the bat to get an opportunity with a rebuilding club. Can't really see him getting a long (hell, even a partial) look here in 2021 or once he's out of options.

Adolfo is 4th in the South in OPS, 1st in HRs, & 2nd in 2Bs.  The power is obviously legit and isn’t be hampered by Regions Field (8 of his 12 HRs have come there).  The BB rate looks solid at 9.9%.  For him, it really comes down to the strikeouts as his K rate is a problematic 35.0%.  It’s a shame he’s out of options after this year, because with a full healthy season this year maybe we see some legit 2H improvement in that area.  He’s still only 24 so it’s not crazy to think he could make some major strides given how little development time he’s had over the past few seasons.

• Like 1

IF he keeps improving just a little bit, and IF he has no more serious injuries, and IF Sox don't sign another expensive RF free agent, he has as good a chance as anyone to make the team next year.  Eloy figures to get a lot of time at DH, and Vaughn figures to get more time at first, Goodwin/Hamilton/Lamb/Leury probably don't figure into this equation, so it's up to Micker to get after it.

Adolfo has played the full year at AA with no issues and is really showing well. He could have gaudy numbers in Charlotte if the craftier AAAA types aren't an impediment to him. The K% is still huge at 35% though.

HR: 1st

RBI: 1st

SLG: 2nd

SO: 3rd

2B: 3rd

OPS: 4th

Edited by raBBit