Internal Bullpen Moves

ron883

Our bullpen has been bad, and there's internal moves to be made. Jace Fry has been pretty damn good in his AAA rehab stint. He's been down there forever for on a rehab assignment. I assume he has to get called up soon. He really should be up here. Medeiros has been pretty solid down there too. Walking too many people, but isn't getting hit much. 

At very least, somebody goes down for Jace. I'm hoping it's Crochet so they can actually develop him. I'd imagine Foster or Burdi would be next down, especially when Kopech comes back. 

What moves you making in the pen?

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Our bullpen has been bad, and there's internal moves to be made. Jace Fry has been pretty damn good in his AAA rehab stint. He's been down there forever for on a rehab assignment. I assume he has to get called up soon. He really should be up here. Medeiros has been pretty solid down there too. Walking too many people, but isn't getting hit much. 

At very least, somebody goes down for Jace. I'm hoping it's Crochet so they can actually develop him. I'd imagine Foster or Burdi would be next down, especially when Kopech comes back. 

The problem with that is why not Heuer or Foster or Ruiz?  Seems they prefer keeping Crochet with the big league team, learning on the go with Katz. One can certainly argue that a confidence injection for either Garrett or Codi would be huge, since now we're relying on Burr of all people.  TLR loves his lefty/righty matchups, so Crochet over Heuer for now makes more sense unless he continues to get lit up. 

Medeiros is not a difference maker. Someone capable of going 3-4 innings would be more valuable. 

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem with that is why not Heuer or Foster or Ruiz?  Seems they prefer keeping Crochet with the big league team, learning on the go with Katz. One can certainly argue that a confidence injection for either Garrett or Codi would be huge, since now we're relying on Burr of all people.  TLR loves his lefty/righty matchups, so Crochet over Heuer for now makes more sense unless he continues to get lit up. 

Medeiros is not a difference maker. Someone capable of going 3-4 innings would be more valuable. 

Maybe Hahn can pull a guy like that out of his ass?

Edited by ron883

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

The immediate answer is to call up Fry.  I do think Crochet should go down to AAA to get some innings, but that’s probably not going to happen.  More likely is Burdi & Burr get the boot at some point, although perhaps Foster does have options and could be another candidate.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The immediate answer is to call up Fry.  I do think Crochet should go down to AAA to get some innings, but that’s probably not going to happen.  More likely is Burdi & Burr get the boot at some point, although perhaps Foster does have options and could be another candidate.

Burr has been a pleasant surprise so far. I'd rather keep him up than Foster or Burdi tbh. I thought Foster has options, but I could be wrong. 

43 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Ya don't say? Maybe Hahn can pull a guy like that out of his ass?

Apparently Ross Detwiler is now beyond our reach...sigh. 

Besides just looking at the stats,  how closely are you actually following Fry?   What have been his velocity readings?   He was never the type of pure stuff pitcher who blew you away, especially after two TJ surgeries.  Effective, yes. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

My vote would be to jettison Marshall in favor of Fry. I can't find his inherited runners scored % but his ERA is not indicative of his effectiveness - his runs allowed are being tagged on the guy before him. I feel he's been very ineffectual, though that may be a case of how he is used ie give him a clean start to an inning rather than bringing him in midway.

I don't know anything about this guy except he's been in the minors since 2013 . He might be a junkballer for all I know.

Ofriedy Gomez 21.1 IP , 3 ER, 8 H, 25K 13 BB ERA 1.27 , .98 WHIP.

Can't argue with the results so far. Absurdly low number of hits for the innings pitched but a bit too many walks, so that's why his WHIP is still very good.

25 yr . old RHP. 6'3 230lbs.   He's only been in 10 games so far , Started 1 game  and has 2 saves. Might not be a bad guy to be a long guy or a spot starter or for an inning here and there.

OK looked again and saw 16.2 IP were in Birmingham and then he got promoted so probably hasn't pitched enough yet in Charlotte to get a read on him yet against AAA hitters. Too soon to promote him to the bigs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know anything about this guy except he's been in the minors since 2013 . He might be a junkballer for all I know.

Ofriedy Gomez 21.1 IP , 3 ER, 8 H, 25K 13 BB ERA 1.27 , .98 WHIP.

Can't argue with the results so far. Absurdly low number of hits for the innings pitched but a bit too many walks, so that's why his WHIP is still very good.

25 yr . old RHP. 6'3 230lbs.   He's only been in 10 games so far , Started 1 game  and has 2 saves. Might not be a bad guy to be a long guy or a spot starter or for an inning here and there.

OK looked again and saw 16.2 IP were in Birmingham and then he got promoted so probably hasn't pitched enough yet in Charlotte to get a read on him yet against AAA hitters. Too soon to promote him to the bigs.

He’s nothing special. Royals let him walk, that should say all you really need to know.

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He’s nothing special. Royals let him walk, that should say all you really need to know.

I could see that by looking at his stats in previous minor league seasons. But as with any youngster changes and improvement do happen. Control has always hurt him and it wasn't too bad in Birmingham . Since the promotion to Charlotte it''s jumped up and bit him again in only 4.2 innings so if he wets the bed again in that regard and he's nibbling with AAA hitter then  you're correct nothing special . I'll keep an eye on him.

I suppose 31 yr. old Nik Turley could get a look.

The biggest issue here may be 40 man spots. Whenever Fry returns from his "rehab assignment" he will have to be taken off the 60 day IL and someone would have to be taken off the 40 for him. So who do they have to drop?

Pitchers

Tyler Johnson is on the 40. He'll be 26 in August. Has been hurt and bad this year.

Lambert is on the 40. Possible trade piece. Otherwise depth. Not likely to be dropped from the 40 IMO.

Lopez - He's been so bad.

McRae - He's probably the most likely to go IMO but the Sox have given him some looks so it seems they like him some what. 

Bats

They can't cut a catcher because they only have 3.

Infielders - Every one is on the active roster except for Sheets/Burger.

Outfielders

Adolfo is either going to be on the Sox next year or another organization. He's been showing the power (while striking out a ton) in AA so I wouldn't think they release him but the spot has to come from somewhere.

Rutherford has been struggling and it's coming time to give up.

Hamilton - I wonder if they get a handshake deal with him to transfer him to the 60 day IL even if he's not that injured so they can buy some time on the 40 until they trade one someone (or multiple players) off the 40.

Engel - I really hope they don't have to transfer him to the 60 day IL but it's possible. 

9 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The biggest issue here may be 40 man spots. Whenever Fry returns from his "rehab assignment" he will have to be taken off the 60 day IL and someone would have to be taken off the 40 for him. So who do they have to drop?

Pitchers

Tyler Johnson is on the 40. He'll be 26 in August. Has been hurt and bad this year.

Lambert is on the 40. Possible trade piece. Otherwise depth. Not likely to be dropped from the 40 IMO.

McRae - He's probably the most likely to go IMO but the Sox have given him some looks so it seems they like him some what. 

Bats

Outfielders

Adolfo is either going to be on the Sox next year or another organization. He's been showing the power (while striking out a ton) in AA so I wouldn't think they release him but the spot has to come from somewhere.

Hamilton - I wonder if they get a handshake deal with him to transfer him to the 60 day IL even if he's not that injured so they can buy some time on the 40 until they trade one someone (or multiple players) off the 40.

Engel - I really hope they don't have to transfer him to the 60 day IL but it's possible. 

I agree that McRae is the most likely, and can't imagine what the Sox see in him. I'd rather replace him with Mike Wright Jr., if they want a guy with MLB experience. He has been very good as a starter, at Charlotte. I wonder how he would do out of the pen.

28 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Pitchers

Bats

Outfielders

McRae and Lopez seem like obvious guys to drop from the 40 man. Lopez gas been getting spanked in AAA. His velocity has dipped over the year. I don't see how he has any value or any future in the MLB.

I am going to guess that Rey Lopez would be claimed, just because you can't teach that arm.  If Carson freaking Fulmer can get claimed by half a dozen different teams, Lopez surely will get into "we can fix him" mode.  The question is, do we care.

I really think McRae is the top guy on the list.  Might be interesting to see if we can slide Zavala through with as bad as he has been this year too.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Zavala would be the first position player, I'd prefer that they cut from the 40 Man Roster. 

I don't think the Sox would put themselves in a position where if Grandal/Collins got hurt they would have to add Nate Nolan or Carlos Perez to the 40 and active roster.

This is entirely my own thought, but I really think the Sox might move Hamilton to the 60 day whether the severity of his injury requires it or not. I called that he would have a setback (I know everybody is having them) but I think it's more of a roster crunch than anything. Hamilton is a leader and basically a coach. If they push him off the 40 with a 60 day IL, they can reevaluate the roster after the deadline moves a depth piece or two and/or another injury or two adds others to the 60 day.

I really hope Engel isn't moved to the 60.

Point of order:

According to THIS, both Burger and Sheets are in the 40 man right now. Do you have contrary information? [EDIT: BR also has them on the 40 man.]

Also, although we're all supposed to hate Zavala, he's the only other catcher in the 40 man, apart from Grandal and Collins. If he's dropped, then who becomes the next man up at C? Yermin? Leury? TA?

Again, I get that we're supposed to hate Zavala and Leury, while falling all over ourselves to excuse other underperformers. But a 3rd Catcher is a "better-to-have-and-not-need," than "Need-but-not-have" sort of situation.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Point of order:

According to THIS, both Burger and Sheets are in the 40 man right now. Do you have contrary information? [EDIT: BR also has them on the 40 man.]

Also, although we're all supposed to hate Zavala, he's the only other catcher in the 40 man, apart from Grandal and Collins. If he's dropped, then who becomes the next man up at C? Yermin? Leury? TA?

Again, I get that we're supposed to hate Zavala and Leury, while falling all over ourselves to excuse other underperformers. But a 3rd Catcher is a "better-to-have-and-not-need," than "Need-but-not-have" sort of situation.

Lol, "supposed to hate Zavala". What the hell are you talking about? I'm pretty sure nobody cares much about Zavala either way. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Point of order:

They were added before last years Rule 5.

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Point of order:

Who is arguing that Burger/Sheets aren't on the 40?

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

Our bullpen gets 10 times better when MK comes back.....

I want Foster sent down when MK comes up.

I would like to see Jace Fry come back up also.....

I like the way Burr is throwing the ball...

Burdi will be the guy going down based on who is pitching, in what situations, and how often.