Internal Bullpen Moves

ron883

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Who is arguing that Burger/Sheets aren't on the 40?

I read this from a previous post:

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

The biggest issue here may be 40 man spots. Whenever Fry returns from his "rehab assignment" he will have to be taken off the 60 day IL and someone would have to be taken off the 40 for him. So who do they have to drop?

Bats

Infielders - Every one is on the active roster except for Sheets/Burger.

So, taken the two underlined parts together, I read it as you telling us that Sheets/Burger weren't on the 40 man. [shrugs]

Not attacking you, just looking for clarity here..

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

So, taken the two underlined parts together, I read it as you telling us that Sheets/Burger weren't on the 40 man. [shrugs]

Active roster = 25 man roster.

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

The active roster = 26 man roster. I.e. who can appear in a game.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Active roster = 25 man roster.

Active roster = 26 man roster. 

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The active roster = 26 man roster. I.e. who can appear in a game.

Active roster = 26 man roster. 

Cool. Got it. It just seemed divergent from the way I read your previous post, particularly the two parts that I underlined.

For me, I'd be perfectly fine giving up on Sheets, Rutherford, and Adolfo sooner rather than later, if a 40 man spot is needed. It may be a mistake, given the lack of a 2020 MiLB season, but the FO has decided that this is the year, so decisions will have to be made.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

28 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Point of order:

According to THIS, both Burger and Sheets are in the 40 man right now. Do you have contrary information? [EDIT: BR also has them on the 40 man.]

Also, although we're all supposed to hate Zavala, he's the only other catcher in the 40 man, apart from Grandal and Collins. If he's dropped, then who becomes the next man up at C? Yermin? Leury? TA?

Again, I get that we're supposed to hate Zavala and Leury, while falling all over ourselves to excuse other underperformers. But a 3rd Catcher is a "better-to-have-and-not-need," than "Need-but-not-have" sort of situation.

They have other catchers in the minors they could call up if Grandal or Collins were injured, even Zavala if he clears. Of course, they would then have to make a 40-man move. I think I'd be ok gambling on cutting Zavala from the 40.

8 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Cool. Got it. It just seemed divergent from the way I read your previous post, particularly the two parts that I underlined.

For me, I'd be perfectly fine giving up on Sheets, Rutherford, and Adolfo sooner rather than later, if a 40 man spot is needed. It may be a mistake, given the lack of a 2020 MiLB season, but the FO has decided that this is the year, so decisions will have to be made.

Absolutely no reason to give up on Sheets at his point. Rutherford and Adolfo, yeah. Decisions are going to have to be made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

They have other catchers in the minors they could call up if Grandal or Collins were injured, even Zavala if he clears. Of course, they would then have to make a 40-man move. I think I'd be ok gambling on cutting Zavala from the 40.

Which catcher are you comfortable with? They really don't have anyone of AAA quality. Maybe Carlos Perez. There is not a lot of catching. Zavala has been avoiding the 40 man drop for a long time and had survived a whole lot as the 4th catcher. He ain't going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Which catcher are you comfortable with? They really don't have anyone of AAA quality. Maybe Carlos Perez. There is not a lot of catching. Zavala has been avoiding the 40 man drop for a long time and had survived a whole lot as the 4th catcher. He ain't going anywhere.

It's possible Zavala goes unclaimed. But Xavier Fernandez, Carlos Perez, take your pick as emergency back up catcher. But I would probably rather lose Gonzalez from the 40-man first.

I remember when the Sox acquired Fernandez from the Royals. From the research I did then, he was very highly regarded as a good defensive catcher. His bat hasn't been good, but I understand that he has been Major League ready to catch, going back to the time that he was a Kansas City prospect.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

I get this. Zavalas probably no more than a AAA or AAAA player at best. But, at this point, Zavalas familiarity with the pitchers and him having had a cup of coffee in the show leads me to prefer to have him in the 40.

6 hours ago, raBBit said:

Absolutely no reason to give up on Sheets at his point. Rutherford and Adolfo, yeah. Decisions are going to have to be made.

I'm not too excited about a 1B thats OPSing less than .600 away from Truist. Sheets' Splits

You can look at the nice-looking overall numbers, but these are inflated by his home splits. Hes buried behind Abreu, Vaughn, Grandal, and hell, maybe Mercedes at 1st. I dont take an optimistic view of his performance, and its hard to see an opportunity for him here.

If Sheets is part of a package to get a rental that can help now, I wouldn't really lose sleep over him leaving. And yes, I recognize that letting him go could be a mistake, but I kinda doubt it.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I get this. Zavalas probably no more than a AAA or AAAA player at best. But, at this point, Zavalas familiarity with the pitchers and him having had a cup of coffee in the show leads me to prefer to have him in the 40.

I'm not too excited about a 1B thats OPSing less than .600 away from Truist. Sheets' Splits

You can look at the nice-looking overall numbers, but these are inflated by his home splits. Hes buried behind Abreu, Vaughn, Grandal, and hell, maybe Mercedes at 1st. I dont take an optimistic view of his performance, and its hard to see an opportunity for him here.

If Sheets is part of a package to get a rental that can help now, I wouldn't really lose sleep over him leaving. And yes, I recognize that letting him go could be a mistake, but I kinda doubt it.

There’s a big difference between releasing someone and trading someone. I would definitely include Sheets in a deal. And the way the Sox have been hit with injuries giving him a shot might actually be one of the better options for the Sox in the short term. 

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Indians are 28-3 when leading after six innings. That's the primary reason they are still holding on at 2.5 GB. 

Sox are 39-5 in case anyone is wondering.

4-6 when tied; 1-19 when down after 6 innings.

Edited by flavum

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Sox are 39-5 in case anyone is wondering.

4-6 when tied; 1-19 when down after 6 innings.

The Indians are just crazy...Mejia has a mid 6’s ERA, gives up just 1 ER in 6 innings against staff ace Berrios after throwing 30+ pitches in the first.

Now 4-1 Indians in the 8th, largely due to a key DP ball being overturned.  

Baldelli getting badly outmanaged by Francona.