Top 10 Prospects (Trade Value)

Chicago White Sox

With trade season quickly approaching, I thought it would be interesting to see who everyone here ranks as the top 10 prospects from a trade value perspective.  Here is my top 10 list along with another dozen of guys with at least moderate value who could be nice secondary pieces.

Top 10 List (Pipeline Rank | Level | Age)

1. Jared Kelley, RHP (#1 | Low A | 19)
  2. Yoelqui Cespedes, OF (#2 | High A | 23)
  3. Bryan Ramos, 3B/2B (#12 | Low A | 19)
  4. Jose Rodriguez, SS (#14 | Low A | 20)
  5. Jonathan Stiever, RHP (#4 | AAA | 24)
  6. Matthew Thompson, RHP (#3 | Low A | 20)
  7. Andrew Dalquist, RHP (#5 | Low A | 20)
  8. Jake Burger, 3B (#11 | AAA | 25)
  9. Norge Vera, RHP (#7 | N/A | 21)
  10. Gavin Sheets 1B/OF (#9 | AAA | 25)

Other Guys (Pipeline Rank | Level | Age)

• Jimmy Lambert, RHP (#15 | AAA | 26)
  • Konnor Pilkington, LHP (NR | AA | 23)
  • Jason Bilous, RHP (NR | AA | 23)
  • Kade McClure, RHP (#24 | AA | 25)
  • Bailey Horn, LHP (#23 | Low A | 23)
  • Zack Burdi, RHP (NR | AAA | 26)
  • Tyler Johnson, RHP (#18 | AAA | 25)
  • Micker Adolfo, OF (#6 | AA | 24)
  • Lenyn Sosa, SS (#22 | High A | 21)
  • Chase Krogman, OF (#25 | Low A | 20)
  • DJ Gladney, 3B (#17 | Low A | 19)
  • Caberea Weaver, OF (NR | Low A | 21)

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With trade season quickly approaching, I thought it would be interesting to see who everyone here ranks as the top 10 prospects from a trade value perspective.  Here is my top 10 list along with another dozen of guys with at least moderate value who could be nice secondary pieces.

Top 10 List (Pipeline Rank | Level | Age)

1. Jared Kelley, RHP (#1 | Low A | 19)
  2. Yoelqui Cespedes, OF (#2 | High A | 23)
  3. Bryan Ramos, 3B/2B (#12 | Low A | 19)
  4. Jose Rodriguez, SS (#14 | Low A | 20)
  5. Jonathan Stiever, RHP (#4 | AAA | 24)
  6. Matthew Thompson, RHP (#3 | Low A | 20)
  7. Andrew Dalquist, RHP (#5 | Low A | 20)
  8. Jake Burger, 3B (#11 | AAA | 25)
  9. Norge Vera, RHP (#7 | N/A | 21)
  10. Gavin Sheets 1B/OF (#9 | AAA | 25)

Other Guys (Pipeline Rank | Level | Age)

• Jimmy Lambert, RHP (#15 | AAA | 26)
  • Konnor Pilkington, LHP (NR | AA | 23)
  • Jason Bilous, RHP (NR | AA | 23)
  • Kade McClure, RHP (#24 | AA | 25)
  • Bailey Horn, LHP (#23 | Low A | 23)
  • Zack Burdi, RHP (NR | AAA | 26)
  • Tyler Johnson, RHP (#18 | AAA | 25)
  • Micker Adolfo, OF (#6 | AA | 24)
  • Lenyn Sosa, SS (#22 | High A | 21)
  • Chase Krogman, OF (#25 | Low A | 20)
  • DJ Gladney, 3B (#17 | Low A | 19)
  • Caberea Weaver, OF (NR | Low A | 21)

Ramos is limited by his defensive upside or lack thereof. 

Vera (not even sure he could be traded) and Burger should/could be of interest to a number of teams. 

Hard to imagine Stiever could be anything resembling a centerpiece. 

Cespedes is more wishful thinking at this point...scouting evaluations are all over the board on him. 

Cabrera Weaver (sp). 

Elijah Tatis needs to put up 16 errors to get on the big board, lol. 

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ramos is limited by his defensive upside or lack thereof. 

Vera (not even sure he could be traded) and Burger should/could be of interest to a number of teams. 

Hard to imagine Stiever could be anything resembling a centerpiece. 

Cespedes is more wishful thinking at this point...scouting evaluations are all over the board on him. 

Cabrera Weaver (sp). 

Elijah Tatis needs to put up 16 errors to get on the big board, lol. 

Ramos is putting up a 124 wRC+ in Low A as a 19 year old and has posted a 162 wRC+ since Jun 1st (last 17 games / 75 PAs) with a 9.3% BB rate, 13.3% K rate, .354 ISO, & .240 BABIP.  I really like Rodriguez, but I think scouts were higher on Ramos coming into the season despite much defensive upside and he’s more than delivered with the bat so far.  In system as weak as ours, I think he’s one of the more attractive trade pieces we have, especially with many rebuilding clubs targeting younger, high upside assets.

The Stiever hate is starting to get a bit ridiculous.  He hasn’t performed that well in Charlotte so far, but he’s also skipping AA altogether.  He was a guy with serious helium before the pandemic and I still think he’d be highly interesting to a lot of clubs.  He can easily be the centerpiece for a rental or reliever, but probably not much beyond that until he shows a bit more at AAA.

Cespedes is a bit of a wild card, but for now I’m sticking with the more recent, more optimistic scouting reports that suggest significant muscle gains alongside some swing changes intended to add more power.  Again, this is an incredibly weak system and Cespedes has enough tools & pedigree to warrant a high spot for now.

• Like 1

I never rank guy because I don't see any of them play. But you should like this @caulfield12 I think Burger is our #1 prospect. He missed so much development time yet somehow after the 4/5 today he is hitting .295 w/ a .920 OPS . I know it's Charlotte but it's still damn impressive for a guy who missed so much time. His numbers are even better on the road.

His numbers are decent against   RHP but he is bashing LHP . 1.305 OPS.  .886 @ home and .959 away. I don't know if that 4/5 is even in those stats yet. Looks like they might be because they got his HR total right.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I never rank guy because I don't see any of them play. But you should like this @caulfield12 I think Burger is our #1 prospect. He missed so much development time yet somehow after the 4/5 today he is hitting .295 w/ a .920 OPS . I know it's Charlotte but it's still damn impressive for a guy who missed so much time. His numbers are even better on the road.

His numbers are decent against   RHP but he is bashing LHP . 1.305 OPS.  .886 @ home and .959 away. I don't know if that 4/5 is even in those stats yet. Looks like they might be because they got his HR total right.

What has been the buzz about his defense at second base?....seems we need some recent scouting reports and/or a James Fegan deep dive. 

Also, does anyone know what happened with that James Beard who was supposed to be the fastest of his draft class? 

Edited by caulfield12

Another thing I will say is given the state of the farm system, going after non-rentals will be challenging.  I still think Kelley is our best trade chip (not that I want to move him), but his recent forearm issue is going to suppress his value some and he hasn’t performed well enough in Kanny to warrant top 100 consideration.  If he’s out best prospect, then we’re basically forced to pursue rentals unless we want to move Kelley plus two other guys in the top eight in one fair swoop.  Even then, you’re looking at guys with maybe one year of additional control and I don’t think it’s worth it.  Just go after rentals for now and hope that Jerry will spend a little bit in the offseason to fill our handful of holes.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What has been the buzz about his defense at second base?....seems we need some recent scouting reports and/or a James Fegan deep dive. 

Also, does anyone know what happened with that James Beard who was supposed to be the fastest of his draft class? 

Beard is in Kanny but hasn’t hit very well and has actually gotten worse as of late.  He’s still plenty young, but IMO he’s been passed by Krogman & Weaver this year.

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I was high on Benyamin Bailey after his showing at DSL at such a young age. Hopefully he turns it around. 

Bailey is also a guy not worth trading at this point, which is why I didn’t put him in that second group.  Let him cook in the oven for another year or so and then see what you have.  I just think you’d be selling super low on him right now given the rough start he had at Kanny.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well hard to get a read on that as you well know . Just a handful of games there so far and defensive stats really mean nothing in the short term. I know your only asking for a read but that's in the eyes of the beholder for those who actually watch games.

It's like Vaughn . He passes everyone's eye test because you've never seen him look terrible. He hasn't made any errors or booted any grounders out there so he is very competent which has sustained his defensive stats though it's really still too early to say he's good. The lack of speed means lack of range which will eventually lead to his Outs Above Average slowly getting worse, even if he gets good jumps( He doesn't) and reads which is also too early to say. But as of now this is what baseballsavant.com has on Vaughn.

Sprint Speed 39

Outs Above Average 21

Jump 10

The lower the number the worse you are and Baseball Savant color codes these and blue is considered poor .  His sprint speed is poor at 39 then  21 OAA and 10 Jump are pretty bad.

It's hard to know what other teams are seeing.  But remember how few people seemed to recognize players like Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt, etc.  We have some good players and probably some nice under-the-radar types, but it doesn't benefit any one of the sellers in baseball to go run their mouths off to the likes of Keith Law or someone else just so it gets published and these players get more recognition.

Personally I think we have some nice "safer" arms in Stiever, Lambert, Horn, Dalquist especially, who aren't going to be seen as top-end raw talent guys, but who might all make it in MLB at some point.  I bet there are lots of teams looking at those guys.  I'm wondering about Lenyn Sosa also.  He might be popping up on the radar a bit more now.

I will say that every year a player is traded and you go "Who?"  And you think the return was really weak until about a year later when you realize that there was a guy down on the farm you didn't really know about who is a hell of a lot better than the scouting reports made it seem he was.  I bet we have a few of those guys down there.  I know the system is very, very, very weak, but there is still some talent in it.

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

It's hard to know what other teams are seeing.  But remember how few people seemed to recognize players like Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt, etc.  We have some good players and probably some nice under-the-radar types, but it doesn't benefit any one of the sellers in baseball to go run their mouths off to the likes of Keith Law or someone else just so it gets published and these players get more recognition.

Personally I think we have some nice "safer" arms in Stiever, Lambert, Horn, Dalquist especially, who aren't going to be seen as top-end raw talent guys, but who might all make it in MLB at some point.  I bet there are lots of teams looking at those guys.  I'm wondering about Lenyn Sosa also.  He might be popping up on the radar a bit more now.

I will say that every year a player is traded and you go "Who?"  And you think the return was really weak until about a year later when you realize that there was a guy down on the farm you didn't really know about who is a hell of a lot better than the scouting reports made it seem he was.  I bet we have a few of those guys down there.  I know the system is very, very, very weak, but there is still some talent in it.

The sellers know Keith Law hates the White Sox.

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Eduardo Escobar ironically another example like Alexei Ramirez originally written off as a utility guy as well. 

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

The sellers know Keith Law hates the White Sox.

I always wondered how this narrative got started.  I know he opined immediately after the Tatis/Shields trade fiasco, but it was mostly at the expense of Hahn/Williams.  Or so I thought.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I always wondered how this narrative got started.  I know he opined immediately after the Tatis/Shields trade fiasco, but it was mostly at the expense of Hahn/Williams.  Or so I thought.

The same narrative "source" that opines Jose Abreu is a bust.

https://theathletic.com/2376031/2021/02/12/keith-law-prospect-rankings-white-sox/

By Keith Law Feb 12, 2021comment-icon.png 74 save-icon.png

The top end of this system remains strong even with multiple graduations, most recently Luis Robert, and there are now some really intriguing teenage arms in the lower levels of the system,.....

• 1. Andrew Vaughn, 1B (Top 100 rank: No. 10)
  • 2. Michael Kopech, RHP (Top 100 rank: No. 53)
  • 3. Nick Madrigal, 2B
  • 4. Garrett Crochet, LHP
  • 5. Matt Thompson, RHP

Edited by South Side Hit Men

I’m hoping a package like Burdi, Dalquist, and 1 of the young IF’s (Ramos/Sanchez/Sosa) can get us something useful to help for a playoff push. Not expecting anything huge in return for a package like that, but a playable LH platoon OF’er and a decent pen arm shouldn’t be that hard to get…or at least I hope. 

Don’t want to give up the few good prospects we have for a non impact player though 

10 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’m hoping a package like Burdi, Dalquist, and 1 of the young IF’s (Ramos/Sanchez/Sosa) can get us something useful to help for a playoff push. Not expecting anything huge in return for a package like that, but a playable LH platoon OF’er and a decent pen arm shouldn’t be that hard to get…or at least I hope. 

Don’t want to give up the few good prospects we have for a non impact player though 

If we trade one of our top young starting pitcher arms for a platoon batter, I'll lose it.

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If we trade one of our top young starting pitcher arms for a platoon batter, I'll lose it.

Have to trade something for something…our prospects are pretty much trash and we obviously need help. If Dalquist is too much for you then I guess you’re just standing pat? 

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is such a weird year to be trading prospects, both for buyers and sellers.  I really think teams will look back on this season as a huge mistake, as guys blow up out of no where.

They should have never cut last season short. It's been detrimental to the health of players. Huge disaster. 

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Have to trade something for something…our prospects are pretty much trash and we obviously need help. If Dalquist is too much for you then I guess you’re just standing pat? 

Who do you mean by platoon OF bat? For a platoon bat, Dalquist is too much IMO. The package you listed gets more than a 1-year rental. 

I read here recently Cespedes' issue was almost sorted out and he'd be reporting to A+ or AA.  Any update there?  It is an absolute travesty this guy isn't playing.  For all we know, we could be an option in the OF at this point if he had been getting game reps since April.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I read here recently Cespedes' issue was almost sorted out and he'd be reporting to A+ or AA.  Any update there?  It is an absolute travesty this guy isn't playing.  For all we know, we could be an option in the OF at this point if he had been getting game reps since April.  

He's been playing at High A for a few days now.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He's been playing in W-S since Saturday. Finally had a game yesterday

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cespedes won't be an option soon or this year at all. From what I've heard, he isn't that far along, and he's been overrated by some based on his name.