Jake Burger 4 DH!

DanofDuPage

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The bottom line is the Sox will continue to play Vaughn as a regular, and the team expect him to continue to play well.

You have all these platoon scenarios running through your mind, but in the real world the Sox are utilizing their roster correctly, for now and in the future, by continuing their plan, playing Vaughn regularly. If it were up to you, he wouldn’t have the chance to improve relegated to a platoon basis. 

When Eloy returns, he will DH and or Vaughn and Eloy will get a majority of starts between LF and DH. They will ride Goodwin while he is hot, but will not be around long once the four injured OFers return.

PS - Do you need more evidence Brian Goodwin is not a capable ML outfielder, that speed doesn't make up for his poor routes, his poor fielding, his poor throws, his lack of judgement? There is a reason Goodwin is fighting just to stay at a minimum salary, this may very well be his last stop.

No if it was up to me he would play at least half the time against RHP and even more now that he's hot .

I never once said in all my posts about Vaughn that he should be a weak side platoon. Look it up if you'd like. I have said his stats are terrible against RHP . I have said they are even more terrible on the road against RHP. Most of what I have said is don't send him down because we need him against LHP as opposed to others who said either play him every day against all pitchers or send him down.

I have always wanted a happy medium without sending him down. I think I said once way back at the beginning of the season that he would be sent down once guys got healthy but the OF really never did get healthy.

I have said you over rate him as a fielder. The one column you used in Total Zone has fluctuated from the 12 it was when you used it, back down to 8 and now 98 based on him throwing out Cruz. That's quite a fluctuation in a small sample size based on  a couple of weeks since you used that stat. Would you now like to use that 98 to proclaim Vaughn as the best LF of all time ?

Goodwin hasn't looked good I can admit that. But he did catch a ball that Vaughn might not have, going to his left and falling to the ground  and also replaced Vaughn just as LF was becoming difficult to play because of the sun. Goodwin got an error on the throw home but it wasn't a terrible throw by any means. Kiriloff stopped at 3rd. The ball went over Vaughns head as a cut off man and 1 hopped the plate and Rodon took a swipe at it. Why Rodon was there I have no clue but he could have blocked Grandals vision. It was a throw that was missed by 3 guys all lined up to catch it . Usually a 1 hop throw not that far offline is caught by some one. But then again SSS so I would expect you to use it to proclaim Goodwin as not a capable MLB  OF. I think he's just as good as Vaughn out there . But just like with many of our bench guys I am more than happy with the offense from them  in their small samples and will continue to say defensive stats should not be used by amateurs.

Sure Goodwin might be gone when Engel , Eaton, Eloy, Lamb and Robert all return but he has created value for himself as a hitter against RHP.  For now that has made him a very useful piece when the Sox needed it most by hitting very good against RHP, being a plus on the bases, and being able to play  all 3 OF positions. I don't think he's any worse out there then Lamb or Sheets and all 3 of them have had time in the OF so why not Goodwin ?

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

A little dramatic. Guys have overcome all sorts of catastrophic injuries to play pro sports. What else is there to the story? I know he was depressed. But you kind of need more than getting a cup of coffee before you get a movie lol

Because his career almost ended

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

We talking a movie. What is different about his story than countless others in his situation. That is the movie  question 

He didn’t play professional baseball for three years and blew out his Achilles twice. This isn’t a garden variety season ending injury story.

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

Dude. Lighten up and let the internet have some fun for a minute. No one is advocating for a $100M blockbuster movie over this, it's hyperbole.

Im light man. You lighten up. Its the internet, where things said get discussed and reacted to. Have you noticed, like the internet?

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

I was angrily told not to make a federal case out it. *insert Homer Simpson gif*

Fair enough.  I was just having fun with the fact that a lot os stories that shouldn't be made into movies are made into movies.  

7 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Fair enough.  I was just having fun with the fact that a lot os stories that shouldn't be made into movies are made into movies.  

I can see a good Indie movie being made to cover just about anything or anybody with good character development . Sports movies are the worst for the most part. Many actually cover good topics, and unfortunately have abominably executed plots and bad directors with low ambition. Other than rake it in. To sell one like that you would need the name recognition and big story. Woods, Lemieux, Manning, Bo Jackson.  Anyway, Maverick is coming, brace yourself. 

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

A little dramatic. Guys have overcome all sorts of catastrophic injuries to play pro sports. What else is there to the story? I know he was depressed. But you kind of need more than getting a cup of coffee before you get a movie lol

This is a terrible take.

Well, a normal year with less injuries would have allowed him to get back into the grind for a full year at AAA.  But desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.  He has looked pretty good though, of the highlights that I see basically every day now 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a terrible take.

You know what was a good movie not much spoken about? Blue Valentine. Heartbreaker, so well acted. Anyway, Scott Merkin can probably get the financing off the ground as the idea man, but he’s got to fill in the story around Burger. The full vision is probably more avant-garde than he is letting on. The bones are a little basic.

• Like 1