Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DanofDuPage

Jake Burger 4 DH!

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The question is where does he play? Without naming the whole starting lineup, you Madrigal at 2B, Moncada at 3B, Vaughn will either take over 1B/DH eventually for Abreu, Jimenez at LF/Possible DH, and Robert at CF. That leaves RF open but you also have Cespedes and Colas possibly coming in as well so that pretty much blocks mostly all the positions. 

Don’t have to worry about that right now. And this kind of stuff always sorts itself out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Burger just got named to the ASG Futures games.  Not that that means much, but people are taking notice. I am not moving Moncada off 3B for him, and there are definitely trades I'd move Burger in.  But I sure as shit am not moving him at this point for a guy like Escobar or some other stop gap measure.  As part of a deal for a legit releiver with control?  A Trevor Story type stop gap?  A guy we can plug into RF next yeaar without hesitiation?  Sure. 

But there are also plenty of at bats to go around on the mlb club right now.  Yermin is likely dead so Burger can DH, he can cover 3B when Yoan stubs his toe leaving the club, and can maybe even cover 2B a time or two a week.  While he hasn't done it in AAA, I bet Burger could grab an OF glove and be every bit as serviceable as Sheets looked last night.  I'd get him up here.  

I'm with you here. Burger could provide an offensive boost to a club sorely needing some pop. 

I'm not dealing him for a rental, but in a package to land legitimate and/or cost controlled talent? Absolutely. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This team needs a warm body on defense and a bat with decent power. Why overpay for imitation steak when you have a 100% USDA Beef Burger in the fridge? Call em' up.

Edited by DashFan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DashFan said:

This team needs a warm body on defense and a bat with decent power. Why overpay for imitation steak when you have a 100% USDA Beef Burger in the fridge? Call em' up.

Let the man hit. Who cares if Sox might be "rushing" him? Sox need some pop. He might be good.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 100% percent in the minority on this but Burger should stay down in AAA to get more ABS. For one thing, he just hasn't had much time at Pro-Ball. Pitchers need to adjust to him and get a scouting report. Then Burger will need to make adjustments back. The man only has 360 professional at-bats. 

Yermin himself had 220 last year and put up this slash line 310/386/647. Most people would like us to see send him down on this thread. 

I prefer to give Yermin a bit more of a leash allowing for Burger to season a bit more down in the minor leagues. See how he does at 2nd Base and allow to him develop a bit more. The Sox continually get criticized for pushing guys on this board- I'm surprised how much of a push Jake is getting. 

BTW, Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for the guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burger was talked about on FG’s Daily Prospect Notes:

 

Notes
A rare “two guys from the same org” appearance in DPN was necessitated by Burger’s fantastic night. I did film analysis of Burger this morning, with a focus on his defense at second base. He hasn’t had a ton of opportunities there since he’s only played four games. He clearly has well-below average range but he can make routine plays and has been fine working around the second base bag turning tailor made double plays. Burger will also occasionally make spectacular, high-effort plays at third base but his footwork on defense is hampered by his lack of athleticism. When he can set himself and uncork a strong throw, his arm is above-average. 

Offensively, he’s a bit of a free swinger and is especially apt to swing over top of breaking balls down and away from him, but the hit/power combination here is still going to allow for some kind of big league role. Burger’s story is one of incredible perseverance and he also seems like a funny, affable guy who you want in your clubhouse. The White Sox still have a glut of relatively positionless bats that puts a lot of pressure on the health of Leury García, the only player who provides real defensive flexibility on their roster. Teams should be primed to pilfer one from Chicago if injury befalls one of Chicago’s up-the-middle players forcing them to make a move, but I don’t know if Burger can be had at this point because he’s playing so well.

 

They have notes for Cespedes as well for those interested. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Guys - the Sox aren't moving Moncada off 3B for Jake Burger.  Stop talking about it. 

We talk about a thousand things that aren’t likely to happen. It’s a vastly  superior option than playing Mendick. The Sox should be all about this. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2021 at 9:58 PM, DanofDuPage said:

Time for a change. Thank You for great numbers in May. Jake is on fire. Back up for Moncada & Abreu. Maybe a fill in at 2nd for now. New Energy!

I totally agree with you. They brought up Goodwin and Sheets. Burger was and is batting better than both of them at Charlotte. 

Burger has persevered through so many injuries and I have nothing but total respect for him not giving up and keep coming back. He deserves a shot up here, especially as a former #1 draft pick. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

The question is where does he play? Without naming the whole starting lineup, you Madrigal at 2B, Moncada at 3B, Vaughn will either take over 1B/DH eventually for Abreu, Jimenez at LF/Possible DH, and Robert at CF. That leaves RF open but you also have Cespedes and Colas possibly coming in as well so that pretty much blocks mostly all the positions. 

I assume you’re talking about next season. Burger at 3rd, Madrigal at second, Moncada in right pretty much solves every big problem, and is very much in the realm of realistic as far as likelihood of working. Dont know what happens with Eloy and Vaughn, but Abreu isn’t looking as fresh as he did once, so eventually Vaughn goes back to first and Eloy goes back to left. Cespedes and Colas are future depth figures/assets. As far as those offended at the suggestion of Moncada moving off 3rd, taking a page out of Kris Bryant’s career can only deepen his value to the team, as it has for KB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I assume you’re talking about next season. Burger at 3rd, Madrigal at second, Moncada in right pretty much solves every big problem, and is very much in the realm of realistic as far as likelihood of working. Dont know what happens with Eloy and Vaughn, but Abreu isn’t looking as fresh as he did once, so eventually Vaughn goes back to first and Eloy goes back to left. Cespedes and Colas are future depth figures/assets. As far as those offended at the suggestion of Moncada moving off 3rd, taking a page out of Kris Bryant’s career can only deepen his value to the team, as it has for KB.

I don't know how good Burger is at 3B. It doesn't have the defensive value of SS or 2B, but it's still an important position, and Moncada is pretty good there. I'm not moving Moncada off 3B unless Burger or whoever else is just as good there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't know how good Burger is at 3B. It doesn't have the defensive value of SS or 2B, but it's still an important position, and Moncada is pretty good there. I'm not moving Moncada off 3B unless Burger or whoever else is just as good there.

For next season I rather think of the upgrade of Moncada in right. As well as adding Burger’s power into the lineup. Potentially. On balance  we can come out ahead. If Moncada played some emergency second base this season we sub into the lineup Burger for Mendick. Both situations seem like upgrades. Moncada wont be surpassed defensively, but Burger can be adequate enough to take advantage of the other domino upgrades. The Cubs cannot find an equal to Kris Bryant as a third baseman either. But its about more than one position.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

For next season I rather think of the upgrade of Moncada in right. As well as adding Burger’s power into the lineup. Potentially. On balance  we can come out ahead. If Moncada played some emergency second base this season we sub into the lineup Burger for Mendick. Both situations seem like upgrades. Moncada wont be surpassed defensively, but Burger can be adequate enough to take advantage of the other domino upgrades. The Cubs cannot find an equal to Kris Bryant as a third baseman either. But its about more than one position.

If Burger isn't in Moncada's league at 3B defensively, then let Burger play RF. If the Cubs are putting an inferior fielder at 3B and sticking Bryant in RF then that's dumb and maybe that's why the Cubs are losers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

For next season I rather think of the upgrade of Moncada in right. As well as adding Burger’s power into the lineup. Potentially. On balance  we can come out ahead. If Moncada played some emergency second base this season we sub into the lineup Burger for Mendick. Both situations seem like upgrades. Moncada wont be surpassed defensively, but Burger can be adequate enough to take advantage of the other domino upgrades. The Cubs cannot find an equal to Kris Bryant as a third baseman either. But its about more than one position.

Moncada isn't going to RF, 2B, or anywhere else.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Moncada isn't going to RF, 2B, or anywhere else.

Something tells me this won’t be the last time Chick will need to be reminded.

  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hohum 2-4 with a double and rbi tonight. .964 OPS

  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Moncada isn't going to RF, 2B, or anywhere else.

The fact they play Burger often at second based makes it pretty clear Moncada is unwilling to do it. It makes too much sense for the Sox not to do it independent of a player that is unwilling or too fragile to make the move for the best of the team. Hopefully he adjusted his attitude at some point if Burger was for real at third base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The fact they play Burger often at second based makes it pretty clear Moncada is unwilling to do it. It makes too much sense for the Sox not to do it independent of a player that is unwilling or too fragile to make the move for the best of the team. Hopefully he adjusted his attitude at some point if Burger was for real at third base.

Unwilling?  What the hell reason would the franchise want to move him for?  It is really clear that Burger is no where near the defender.  No reason to make up things.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The fact they play Burger often at second based makes it pretty clear Moncada is unwilling to do it. It makes too much sense for the Sox not to do it independent of a player that is unwilling or too fragile to make the move for the best of the team. Hopefully he adjusted his attitude at some point if Burger was for real at third base.

Ok, so we need to spell this out.

Gold Glove caliber veteran 3B >>> not gold glove caliber rookie 3B on defense.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unwilling?  What the hell reason would the franchise want to move him for?  It is really clear that Burger is no where near the defender.  No reason to make up things.

Right? Moncada is not as good at 2B as he is third so why downgrade two positions by moving him? 

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Right? Moncada is not as good at 2B as he is third so why downgrade two positions by moving him? 

Also relevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Right? Moncada is not as good at 2B as he is third so why downgrade two positions by moving him? 

Moncada is not an upgrade to Garcia or Mendick? Burger in the lineup is not an upgrade over Mendick? Adding power is not an upgrade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Moncada is not an upgrade to Garcia or Mendick? Burger in the lineup is not an upgrade over Mendick? Adding power is not an upgrade?

We're talking about defense here. And anyway, we don't even know if Burger would hit in the majors at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Moncada is not an upgrade to Garcia or Mendick? Burger in the lineup is not an upgrade over Mendick? Adding power is not an upgrade?

FFS dude this isn't a video game.  Defense matters.  Moncada is an elite 3B.  You don't fuck with that for Jake Burger.  Stick Burger at 2B a few days a week....sure....and deal with just 1 poorly defended position and not 2.   This hypothetical you continue to repeat is simply not something that is going to transpire under pretty much any circumstance.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×