Jake Burger 4 DH!

DanofDuPage

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well, a normal year with less injuries would have allowed him to get back into the grind for a full year at AAA.  But desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.  He has looked pretty good though, of the highlights that I see basically every day now 

The White Sox model is the fast track though. Prospects are chosen specifically for this capability.  Lack of experience is less of a concern anymore than the talent and maturity.  I haven’t enjoyed the draft approach myself,  but they have been served well recently, and had good judgement on what the team needs to see from these guys in the minors. He looks  explosive in the box. Cespedes as well. Different.  

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

You know what was a good movie not much spoken about? Blue Valentine. Heartbreaker, so well acted. Anyway, Scott Merkin can probably get the financing off the ground as the idea man, but he’s got to fill in the story around Burger. The full vision is probably more avant-garde than he is letting on. The bones are a little basic.

Cute, but nah.  In 2021, crapping all over someone's legitimate mental health struggles after potentially having the one thing they have done their whole life taken away, isn't right.   It's not about being "depressed".  It's a real person we are talking about here. Don't minimize their struggles just because you didn't fight their fight.  Even if it isn't real to you, it was real to him.

There is no reason to not try to be better.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Cute, but nah.  In 2021, crapping all over someone's legitimate mental health struggles after potentially having the one thing they have done their whole life taken away, isn't right.   It's not about being "depressed".  It's a real person we are talking about here. Don't minimize their struggles just because you didn't fight their fight.  Even if it isn't real to you, it was real to him.

lol come on i agree but how did we get from "it's not worthy of a movie" to this? god damn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Post was about Merkin dude, not Burger. Overhype. Which is a basic issue in sports. Sportswriters incidentally have in my experience listening to them talk pop culture..taste in fine music and movies is really weak. 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Post was about Merkin dude, not Burger. Overhype. Which is a basic issue in sports. Sportswriters incidentally have in my experience listening to them talk pop culture..taste in fine music and movies is really weak. 

We get it, because he was just "depressed".

Yeah it’s a much better long form written word format like a magazine feature or book than a movie since the psychological hurdles are so impressive.

Unless he joins the MCU or Star Wars he’s not getting a movie

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We get it, because he was just "depressed".

If the movie gets centered around his depression and battle throughout to save his life, now that sounds like a movie with the right script and director. The injuries, thats pretty boilerplate. You’re really turning me around on this.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Impressive. We still talking movie though.

You can make a movie out of anything. Burger was pretty obese when he was drafted. Now, he looks like a stud. Start there. He looks himself in the mirror after 2 horrific injuries and needs to change. Make it a comedy, a love story, who cares.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah it’s a much better long form written word format like a magazine feature or book than a movie since the psychological hurdles are so impressive.

Unless he joins the MCU or Star Wars he’s not getting a movie

I mean, if we can speak this in into the universe, I would very much enjoy Jedi Master Burger or Burgerman

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

You can make a movie out of anything. Burger was pretty obese when he was drafted. Now, he looks like a stud. Start there. He looks himself in the mirror after 2 horrific injuries and needs to change. Make it a comedy, a love story, who cares.

Sounds like a role for Jonah Hill.  We could definitely make this work.

The Oakland A’s acquiring a few players with a high OBP was made into a Hollywood blockbuster.  This story has way more potential.  

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Well, we’re still talking about Jake Burger too. I like the guy, don’t get me wrong, but he’s not nearly the most interesting guy on his own team. The  Michael Kopech story has a lot more going for it if anyone makes it to the silver screen  as an inspiration for a script. Just on their professional lives. I know next to nothing about them prior.

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Keep Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill away from it please.

Edited by caulfield12

45 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well, a normal year with less injuries would have allowed him to get back into the grind for a full year at AAA.  But desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.  He has looked pretty good though, of the highlights that I see basically every day now 

He’s probably going to look a little rough, but I’m happy for the guy and hope he comes out mashing. 

Somebody is getting traded for Frazier or Escobar. I’d bet on that. How high the Sox will go now depends on Moncada’s condition. If he goes to the IL THAN Burger is playing 3rd for a few weeks instead of the 2nd base experiment. Then you will see a trade for a second baseman. I’d be thrilled with Frazier, only 29 with 1 more year of control. Escobar is also good for the balance of this year than let him go. Shoop from the Tigers is probably a no because Detroit wouldn’t want to help the Sox. Maybe a blockbuster is also a possibility. Right after the All Star break there will a lot of sellers. Good or great players will be available. The price Hahn is willing to pay is the question. Can we win the Division Standing pat? Yes. Can we get to the WS standing pat, NO 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

I want to amend a previous post, after digging a little deeper, Ketel Marte may be the sleeper deal. 1st choice is still Frazier, 2nd choice, but real close to a 1st choice tie is Marte, 3rd choice Escobar.  

Depending on Marte's injury, he could be a great addition with control through 2024. Has the experience to play second or the outfield. 

18 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

I want to amend a previous post, after digging a little deeper, Ketel Marte may be the sleeper deal. 1st choice is still Frazier, 2nd choice, but real close to a 1st choice tie is Marte, 3rd choice Escobar.  

Depending on Marte's injury, he could be a great addition with control through 2024. Has the experience to play second or the outfield. 

That would cost half our farm system…he’s their franchise player.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No if it was up to me he would play at least half the time against RHP and even more now that he's hot .

I never once said in all my posts about Vaughn that he should be a weak side platoon. Look it up if you'd like. I have said his stats are terrible against RHP . I have said they are even more terrible on the road against RHP. Most of what I have said is don't send him down because we need him against LHP as opposed to others who said either play him every day against all pitchers or send him down.

I have always wanted a happy medium without sending him down. I think I said once way back at the beginning of the season that he would be sent down once guys got healthy but the OF really never did get healthy.

I have said you over rate him as a fielder. The one column you used in Total Zone has fluctuated from the 12 it was when you used it, back down to 8 and now 98 based on him throwing out Cruz. That's quite a fluctuation in a small sample size based on  a couple of weeks since you used that stat. Would you now like to use that 98 to proclaim Vaughn as the best LF of all time ?

Goodwin hasn't looked good I can admit that. But he did catch a ball that Vaughn might not have, going to his left and falling to the ground  and also replaced Vaughn just as LF was becoming difficult to play because of the sun. Goodwin got an error on the throw home but it wasn't a terrible throw by any means. Kiriloff stopped at 3rd. The ball went over Vaughns head as a cut off man and 1 hopped the plate and Rodon took a swipe at it. Why Rodon was there I have no clue but he could have blocked Grandals vision. It was a throw that was missed by 3 guys all lined up to catch it . Usually a 1 hop throw not that far offline is caught by some one. But then again SSS so I would expect you to use it to proclaim Goodwin as not a capable MLB  OF. I think he's just as good as Vaughn out there . But just like with many of our bench guys I am more than happy with the offense from them  in their small samples and will continue to say defensive stats should not be used by amateurs.

Sure Goodwin might be gone when Engel , Eaton, Eloy, Lamb and Robert all return but he has created value for himself as a hitter against RHP.  For now that has made him a very useful piece when the Sox needed it most by hitting very good against RHP, being a plus on the bases, and being able to play  all 3 OF positions. I don't think he's any worse out there then Lamb or Sheets and all 3 of them have had time in the OF so why not Goodwin ?

You stated Goodwin is a better fielder because of his sprint speed. My response was there is more to defense than speed, including routes, throwing, judgement. Goodwin has been God Awful, and his career stats fielding stats bare that out. It’s why a “turtle” has better fielding stats than the hare, the two primary defensive statistics available. Goodwin’s stats are for his whole career, and he is a below average LF as well as CF, because he does a lot of bad out there (at least four bad plays today alone).

The discussion can end at this point, as there is nothing more to be said, at least in my end. I hope Goodwin can at least hit during his remaining days on the team. Tony can swap in Hamilton for defense in close games with Leury unavailable due to Madrigal’s absence.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That would cost half our farm system…he’s their franchise player.

Stranger deals have made. I wouldn’t sell Hahn short at this time of the year when he smells a shot at the WS. CRAZY TIMES AHEAD 

Remember, we tore it down trading Eaton and Sale and look what we got in return!! We have the pitching depth to make a crazy deal  

24 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Stranger deals have made. I wouldn’t sell Hahn short at this time of the year when he smells a shot at the WS. CRAZY TIMES AHEAD 

Remember, we tore it down trading Eaton and Sale and look what we got in return!! We have the pitching depth to make a crazy deal  

They can’t afford to trade any starters at the big league level…the odds of reaching October with all six still healthy are skim and none.

If anything, they should be adding to the pen and potentially another starter as additional insurance.

9 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The White Sox model is the fast track though. Prospects are chosen specifically for this capability.  Lack of experience is less of a concern anymore than the talent and maturity.  I haven’t enjoyed the draft approach myself,  but they have been served well recently, and had good judgement on what the team needs to see from these guys in the minors. He looks  explosive in the box. Cespedes as well. Different.  

This isn't the model.  This is tons of injuries

We have 5 really good staters. 3 would #1’s on most teams. We have a potential 6th if Kopech continues to get stretched out. You don’t need 6 starters in the playoffs and WS. Yes adding to the bullpen is needed if Bummer is out longer than 10 days and Frye isn’t the Frye of last year. Burr looks good though. Is he a replacement for Bummer if Bummer is still out? Can Crotchet and Huer become the pair they were in 2020? I’ve lost faith in Marshall and Foster. But Burr could be solid. Birdied not the answer. Kopech as a swing man could be the answer. With this crazy weather we’re looking at a few games that’ll be bullpen games. Remover, and I know everybody is going to jump on me with this next comment, Lynne and Rodon are free agents at the end of the year. BOTH are SOLID SOLID starters and will attract a lot of attention and interest at the end of July and or the Winter. 

Extend both NOW or possibly use one as a chip in a blockbuster deal. We can try and stand pat, win the division, lose in the playoffs and lose Lynne and Rodon to the highest bidders. Could Jimenez be used as a trade chip? Not likely. MONCADA (and don’t go nuts on me) if Burger is the real deal  

Some of you old timers may Rembrandt the 1983 July trade of Tony Bernazard for Juice Cruz, which I believe we just finished paying off that contract  LOL  

ANYTHING is possible and this may be the most intriguing July yet  

I am in favor of standing pat and going for it as we stand before you start yelling at me  we can and will win the division. The pipeline is strong, but this is what makes it fun. My problem is I love trades and chess. And baseball has always been the ultimate chess match