Jake Burger 4 DH!

DanofDuPage

10 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

We have 5 really good staters. 3 would #1’s on most teams. We have a potential 6th if Kopech continues to get stretched out. You don’t need 6 starters in the playoffs and WS. Yes adding to the bullpen is needed if Bummer is out longer than 10 days and Frye isn’t the Frye of last year. Burr looks good though. Is he a replacement for Bummer if Bummer is still out? Can Crotchet and Huer become the pair they were in 2020? I’ve lost faith in Marshall and Foster. But Burr could be solid. Birdied not the answer. Kopech as a swing man could be the answer. With this crazy weather we’re looking at a few games that’ll be bullpen games. Remover, and I know everybody is going to jump on me with this next comment, Lynne and Rodon are free agents at the end of the year. BOTH are SOLID SOLID starters and will attract a lot of attention and interest at the end of July and or the Winter. 

Extend both NOW or possibly use one as a chip in a blockbuster deal. We can try and stand pat, win the division, lose in the playoffs and lose Lynne and Rodon to the highest bidders. Could Jimenez be used as a trade chip? Not likely. MONCADA (and don’t go nuts on me) if Burger is the real deal  

Some of you old timers may Rembrandt the 1983 July trade of Tony Bernazard for Juice Cruz, which I believe we just finished paying off that contract  LOL  

ANYTHING is possible and this may be the most intriguing July yet  

I am in favor of standing pat and going for it as we stand before you start yelling at me  we can and will win the division. The pipeline is strong, but this is what makes it fun. My problem is I love trades and chess. And baseball has always been the ultimate chess match  

Rodon/Boras would ask for 4/$70-75 million and Lynn at least 3/$50-55 million.

Huge risk with health for Rodon and age/spin rate decline for Lynn.

That means you’re definitely not going to resign Gio…which most would be fine with based on 2021.

But then you’re skating on the edge of disaster unless the payroll is miraculously upped to the $145-160 million range.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This isn't the model.  This is tons of injuries

I mean, they haven’t been wrong when they think a guy is ready to handle it. Maaaaybe Collins was a little early. Its not like a Jo Adell situation has happened recently. So I almost don’t have a concern about Burger at this point. The Sox have done well.

19 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I mean, they haven’t been wrong when they think a guy is ready to handle it. Maaaaybe Collins was a little early. Its not like a Jo Adell situation has happened recently. So I almost don’t have a concern about Burger at this point. The Sox have done well.

That's really not the point though.  If even half of the parade of injured players in front of him stayed healthy, Burger wouldn't be getting this call.  This is not the plan.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If Burger makes it, whichever scout pushed for him deserves a big raise. I thought he'd be a huge bust. Hoping he can stay hitterish. That HR tonight was crushed and he's hitting .400 (knock on wood).

The scout who signed Burger left the White Sox for a job with OU baseball the same year he was drafted….fwiw.  He had been a White Sox scout for 18 years.

https://soonersports.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/clay-overcash/553

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-white-sox/what-draft-analysts-say-about-white-sox-first-rounder-jake-burger

Love the pessimistic Keith Law quotes on his defense.

21 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

We need to start getting him some reps at 2B.

LOL.....No! That's an injury waiting to happen.

If he keeps this up, and Eloy is ready to return, maybe a conversation with Moncada going to 2B needs to be had.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Cashman said:

LOL.....No! That's an injury waiting to happen.

If he keeps this up, and Eloy is ready to return, maybe a conversation with Moncada going to 2B needs to be had.

Dude has a freak accident and now he is too injury prone to play 2B? Not that difficult of a position

39 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Dude has a freak accident and now he is too injury prone to play 2B? Not that difficult of a position

Plus the Sox played Burger at 2B in AAA after Madrigal went down. They are not worried about injuries, just whether he can play adequately.

Think Tony is more comfortable with the "veteran" at 2B, and the fact he can continue to sprinkle Leury in everyday as a switch hitter. That said, would like to see Burger to get a chance at 2B, perhaps today (Sunday). Hopefully Jake is getting a lot of reps at 2B pregame. Tim needs to be comfortable as well, don't want him getting hurt with poor throws on DP pivots.

If I had a dollar for every post wanting Moncada to shift to 2B to "fix" the team, I could buy the White Sox. :D

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The scout who signed Burger left the White Sox for a job with OU baseball the same year he was drafted….fwiw.  He had been a White Sox scout for 18 years.

https://soonersports.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/clay-overcash/553

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-white-sox/what-draft-analysts-say-about-white-sox-first-rounder-jake-burger

Love the pessimistic Keith Law quotes on his defense.

Keith Law is an absolute clown. Any player the Sox draft or have their eyes on gets docked a grade.

Sox need to find a place for Jake Burger to keep playing. 

You have to like Vaughn, but tonight Burger was much better, as Vaughn had a frustrating night.  I think if Burger hadn't been hurt, it's possible we might never had drafted Vaughn.   Although I will say the injuries forced Burger to slim down and it seems to have helped him play better.  

I wrote one of those "move Moncada to 2B" posts, and I stand by it.  Burger is a much better hitter than Leury Garcia, who would see his playing time cut back by this move.  Garcia has hit well recently, and tonight had an epic AB where he drew a walk before Sheets drove him home with a 2-run blast.  But Garcia has no power to his game, while Burger does.  The Sox have been relying on a lower power production this year, offsetting it with a high OBP.  But they will be a better team if they can bring the power back.