GT 6/27 G1: Mariners @ SOX

The lack of willingness to shake things up is starting to piss me off. Why is Yermin playing today but sitting yesterday against a lefty? Why is Gonzalez on this roster? Why was Collins playing yesterday against a lefty. So dumb. This team is sinking and needs help fast. 

• Like 3

Mercedes in against a righty.  Just for perspective, he’s put up a -7 wRC+ against RHP in 38 plate appearances this month.  I have no idea what the organization’s plan is with Yermin at this point other than close their eyes and hope he magically discovers his April production.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The lack of willingness to shake things up is starting to piss me off. Why is Yermin playing today but sitting yesterday against a lefty? Why is Gonzalez on this roster? Why was Collins playing yesterday against a lefty. So dumb. This team is sinking and needs help fast. 

I agree...

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s out of control stupid and goes beyond just Tony at this point.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because Carlos Rodon gets to choose his own catcher apparently, and has chosen against the teams $80 million catcher.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yup. Really weird decisions being made. Definitely need a shake up and every day without one has us questioning WTF is going on. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because Carlos Rodon gets to choose his own catcher apparently, and has chosen against the teams $80 million catcher.

Collins also catches Giolito's starts. I understand I hold a minority opinion, but this is one of the few things the team is doing I understand and support.

The starting pitching is the only thing keeping this team afloat. It also appears the other three starters are comfortable throwing to Grandal. The platoon advantage for a single spot in the lineup is not as important as the team's starter.

I agree Grandal's health and hitting has improved, and he should play 1B or DH more games, like he did under Ricky last season. For load management, 95-100 games caught plus additional 1B or DH work is reasonable for a catcher in his 30s to keep him fresh and healthy.

They should be sitting Abreu, Anderson and Moncada 2-3 games a month for regular rest, but they currently only sit when injured, which becomes more likely if they do not get regular rest days. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon picks Collins -> Grandal shifts to DH -> Mercedes SOL

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Collins also catches Giolito's starts. I understand I hold a minority opinion, but this is one of the few things the team is doing I understand and support.

The starting pitching is the only thing keeping this team afloat. It also appears the other three starters are comfortable throwing to Grandal. The platoon advantage for a single spot in the lineup is not as important as the team's starter.

I agree Grandal's health and hitting has improved, and he should play 1B or DH more games, like he did under Ricky last season. For load management, 95-100 games caught plus additional 1B or DH work is reasonable for a catcher in his 30s to keep him fresh and healthy.

They should be sitting Abreu, Anderson and Moncada 2-3 games a month for regular rest, but they currently only sit when injured, which becomes more likely if they do not get regular rest days. 

Except in his career, Grandal has struggled ( under .200) with the bat when playing IB and DH and also as a PH.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree....it seems obvious.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree....it seems obvious.

I’m not asking for much… Both burger and sheets are on the 40 man and have earned a shot. I’m not opposed to giving Beckham a shot either. Gonzalez is an easy option, and at this point, I think a couple weeks about bats in AAA for Yermin makes too much sense. Really don’t understand the reluctance to try some other things.

Edited by ChiSox59

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Why are you looking at BA for Grandal? He would need to go on a major hot streak to hit ,200 this season.

I gave you an example. His  OBP, SLG ,OPS  are all lower when he is not catching.  

6 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’m guessing that Yermin plays when one of the two catchers is off at DH now? Surely Grandal/Collins each need some days off. 

My other theory is that TLR may be setting him up for failure.

Does TLR decide the lineup or the stat geeks?