NIL Policy Coming to NCAA

33 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

U of C is already an elite academic school. They don't need sports to draw students. Schools not in U of C's class have to compete for students, and a top football or basketball program can make them stand out from other schools.

Notre Dame was a tiny, struggling school until football put them on the map and now they are an elite school. Schools like Louisville and Florida State have improved their academic standing as they made their way up from the old Metro Conference all the way to the ACC.

Yeah, if you think that a 3rd rate directional school has a snowballs chance in hell of making them "an elite school" through sports, I'd like what you're smoking.

Louisville, Notre Dame, and FSU all had higher profiles well before their ascents into big time collegiate sports. FSU is the oldest university in Florida. Notre Dame's tie to the catholic church, and its almost 200 year history made them prominent well before knute rockne. And Louisville's been around since the 1700s.

Honestly, its a fools errand for say, WIU, to think that their football program will one day propel them to national/international prominence. A school like that would be better served to try to just survive in today's realities, in all honesty.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, if you think that a 3rd rate directional school has a snowballs chance in hell of making them "an elite school" through sports, I'd like what you're smoking.

Louisville, Notre Dame, and FSU all had higher profiles well before their ascents into big time collegiate sports. FSU is the oldest university in Florida. Notre Dame's tie to the catholic church, and its almost 200 year history made them prominent well before knute rockne. And Louisville's been around since the 1700s.

Honestly, its a fools errand for say, WIU, to think that their football program will one day propel them to national/international prominence. A school like that would be better served to try to just survive in today's realities, in all honesty.

I didn't say it could work for every school, but athletics definitely improved those schools.

ND did not have a high profile before football, and it wasn't anywhere near 200 years old when Rockne put them on the map. It isn't even 200 years old now.

21 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I didn't say it could work for every school, but athletics definitely improved those schools.

ND did not have a high profile before football, and it wasn't anywhere near 200 years old when Rockne put them on the map. It isn't even 200 years old now.

ND is 178 years old. I said "its nearly 200 year history," which, even if you're splitting hairs, is plenty of history for them to be high profile. Hell, ND didn't crumble when Gerry Faust ran their program into the ground.

That aside, in a day and age where most kids spend more time on their phones than they do in a library, some tiny directional school isn't going to become prominent through sports. It just ain't happening, especailly in today's financial environment. 

The smaller schools would be better off finding a better value proposition than having their football team go 5-6 year after year. Because college is getting too expensive for the students, in all honesty.

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The problem with siu and Bradley and W Kentucky is once the big boys come poaching, how do you convince them to stay.  If Kansas came to Ja Morant six years ago and said "I'm going to put you on ESPN every week of your NCAA life and also get you national sponsorships" how does any Mid Major compete with that?

Great point. I was just thinking the kids at the mid-majors who are good nuff to help their teams win enough games to catch the interest of the community, still could hook up via NIL in those towns. But yes the Dukes and KU's and Carolinas could come poaching the starts of the mid major teams, sure. 

5 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

ND is 178 years old. I said "its nearly 200 year history," which, even if you're splitting hairs, is plenty of history for them to be high profile. Hell, ND didn't crumble when Gerry Faust ran their program into the ground.

That aside, in a day and age where most kids spend more time on their phones than they do in a library, some tiny directional school isn't going to become prominent through sports. It just ain't happening, especailly in today's financial environment. 

The smaller schools would be better off finding a better value proposition than having their football team go 5-6 year after year. Because college is getting too expensive for the students, in all honesty.

I'm talking about 1920, when Notre Dame was barely more than a community college. Without Rockne, ND never becomes anything different than DePaul or Marquette.

• 5 weeks later...

How many folks write $$$$$ checks to the science department? How many fans buy tickets to watch a history lecture? 

Taxpayers have much to gain when their state schools are playing well. The revenue sports deposit not withdraw from the university and,  perhaps more importantly, inject cash into the local economies. 

Locally here UT-SA has seen a nice increase in applications from out of the area students. They attribute it in part to the Roadrunners football team being on national TV eight times last year and playing in a bowl game. It put their campus in front of more kids than an ad on Twitter or a splashy website. 

I teach seniors in a class that helps them get into college,  pay for college,  and be successful while in college. I will have 20 to 30 recruiters in my classroom throughout this fall. Every one will either brag about how much fun attending big games are, they will highlight some sports centric activity, or if they don't have athletics they will try to minimize the factor. It's the front window to the university.