'04 25 man roster

The Beast

"1B Fullmer"

I love the idea of Fullmer, however, he is a terrible defensive 1B.

"2B Alomar"

I would almost rather have Harris or Miles get a shot then bring back Alomar. It is clear to see that he just isn't a good offensive player any more and at his age isn't going to get any better. Harris offers great speed and D, and could probably put up similar offensive numbers. I have never been a huge fan of Miles, but all this guy does is hit. I think of a Todd Walker when I see Miles, a guy that doesn't do anything really good, but his ability to hit always gets him starting roles. IF Alomar wants more then 3M/yr then the Sox better let him go, and I just feel that they could get similar production from Harris or Miles for the minimum.

"SS Guzman"

Guzman would be a decent option, however, I think he is under contract for 1 more year with the Twins so the Sox would have to trade for him. IF he was available of course.

"4. Wilson Alvarez"

Alverez is my sleeper for next year. I really think he could be next years Loaiza, and I would love to see the Sox take a flyer on him. He was one of the most dominating pitchers in the 2nd half this past season, and could be hard for a bargain.

"Gordon"

I am a little concerned about his age and health problems, especially after the workload he had this past year. I think Hawkins would be a wiser investment and he probably wouldn't cost much more.

"1B - Daubach"

I think I am one of the few guys that actually likes Daubach and think that he could be a cheap replacement if Thomas and/or Konerko are gone.

"SS - Carlos Guillen"

He is my number one choice if the Sox don't get one of the big 3(Tejada, Matsui, Cabrera).

"CF - Jose Cruz Jr."

Cruz is a classic underachiever. He has all the potential, but has never put it all together. His .251 career batting average is an example of that, and I think the area that the Sox need to improve the most offensively is batting average. He would not be a good leadoff hitter either. Too many SO and not a high enough OBP. He isn't a CF either. He also has an option that San Fran could pick up, so he might not be available.

"RF - Everett"

Trading Maggs is a realistic possibility, so where would you trade him to and what would the sox get back in return?

"Lidle"

Lidle would be an interesting possibility depending on how much he wants. If he wants 6+M then I would have to pass, but if you could get him for around 4M than he might be a decent option. I would still like to see the sox resign Colon though, because I think pitching will/should be the key.

"RP - Marte, Hasegawa, Hawkins, Koch, Wunsch, Wright, Sullivan"

This bullpen would be great and I am a huge believer that a good bullpen is key in todays game, but it would cost you about 17-18M. That is a huge portion of the total payroll for a bullpen.

"Bench - Burke, Graffanino, Gload, Miles, Harris, Rowand, Fulmer, Valentin"

Thats a huge bench. Generally you have 6 relievers and 5 bench players.

Fullmer doesn't usually play at first base, in 2002 when the Angels he only played 29 games at first, and had a .995 fielding percentage. That isn't too shabby but you're right Fullmer isn't exactly a "solid" defensive player. I do think however that Fullmer will be able to make the routine plays, that's all we really need him to do. I know Spezio can play 1st, 3rd and other positions. He would be a solid addition to this team if the Sox decide to pass on Fullmer. Not only can he play 1st, but he will also be able to play 3rd in case Crede gets injured.

CWSOX45

I wouldn't like it either if I was him. Not playing when everyone is sucking, ouch.

I can't blame Daubach, I hope he finds a place where he will be able to play everyday. Maybe he shoudl consider looking at Los Angeles. They always need more offense, and he might be able to take McGriff's job.

CWSOX45

Starting Pitching

Colon

Buehrle

Garland

Loaiza

Schoenweis/Rauch/Cotts

Lineup

SS Matsui

2B Harris

LF Lee

RF Ordonez

DH Thomas

1B Konerko

3B Crede

CF Rowand

C Olivo

Bullpen

Koch

Marte

Schoenweis/Rauch/Cotts

Wright

Wunsch

Ginter

Bench

Graffanino

S. Alomar

Hollandsworth

Burke

Wishful yet realistic. :huh:

Starting Pitching

Colon

Buehrle

Garland

Loaiza

Schoenweis/Rauch/Cotts

Lineup

SS Matsui

2B Harris

LF Lee

RF Ordonez

DH Thomas

1B Konerko

3B Crede

CF Rowand

C Olivo

Bullpen

Koch

Marte

Schoenweis/Rauch/Cotts

Wright

Wunsch

Ginter

Bench

Graffanino

S. Alomar

Hollandsworth

Burke

Wishful yet realistic.  :huh:

I'd love to get Matsui but I highly doubt that will happen, that would be so awesome though if it did.

CWSOX45

Rotation:

Colon ($11 mill)

Buehrle ($1.5 mill)

Loaiza ($3.5 mill)

Garland ($1 mill)

Wright/Scho/D'Amico/Suppan/Alvarez/someone else cheap (say $500,000)

Total: $17.5 mill

Pen:

Hawkins($3.5 mill), Marte($1.5 mill), Wunsch($750,000), Wright/Schow($500,000), Mota($1 mill), Lightenberg($1 mill)

Total: $8.25 mill

Lineup:

Castillo 2B ($4 mill)

Harris/Rowand CF ($500,000)

Lee LF ($6 mill)

Everett DH ($6 mill)

Thomas 1B ($6 mill)

Cabrera SS ($4 mill)

Rowand/Borchard/Reed RF ($500,000)

Crede 3B ($500,000)

Olivo C ($500,000)

Total: $28 mill

Bench:

MJ C ($750,000), Graffy IF($2 mill), Ownes OF($1 mill), Hocking IF & OF($1 mill), and if gotten cheaply, Catalanotto or Grieve($1 mill)

Total: $5.75

Total payroll in all is $59.5 mill....give or take some. This is including the fact that contracts raise little by little each year, so that's the reason. If this exact roster were kept for 2 or 3 more years, the payroll would be around $70-$75 mill, so this roster would not be kept together too incredibly long.

Trades that occur:

Magglio Ordonez to Los Angeles for Guillermo Mota and 2 or 3 prospects

Paul Konerko to Baltimore for Kerry Lightenberg

Maggs trade gives LA a boost offensively, while they deal from a strength, and we strengthen a weaker part of the organization, the minor leagues.

Konerko traded to Baltimore to save money and get a decent arm for the pen.

Rotation:

Colon ($11 mill)

Buehrle ($1.5 mill)

Loaiza ($3.5 mill)

Garland ($1 mill)

Wright/Scho/D'Amico/Suppan/Alvarez/someone else cheap (say $500,000)

Total: $17.5 mill

Pen:

Hawkins($3.5 mill), Marte($1.5 mill), Wunsch($750,000), Wright/Schow($500,000), Mota($1 mill), Lightenberg($1 mill)

Total: $8.25 mill

Lineup:

Castillo 2B ($4 mill)

Harris/Rowand CF ($500,000)

Lee LF ($6 mill)

Everett DH ($6 mill)

Thomas 1B ($6 mill)

Cabrera SS ($4 mill)

Rowand/Borchard/Reed RF ($500,000)

Crede 3B ($500,000)

Olivo C ($500,000)

Total: $28 mill

Bench:

MJ C ($750,000), Graffy IF($2 mill), Ownes OF($1 mill), Hocking IF & OF($1 mill), and if gotten cheaply, Catalanotto or Grieve($1 mill)

Total: $5.75

Total payroll in all is $59.5 mill....give or take some.  This is including the fact that contracts raise little by little each year, so that's the reason. If this exact roster were kept for 2 or 3 more years, the payroll would be around $70-$75 mill, so this roster would not be kept together too incredibly long.

Trades that occur:

Magglio Ordonez to Los Angeles for Guillermo Mota and 2 or 3 prospects

Paul Konerko to Baltimore for Kerry Lightenberg

Maggs trade gives LA a boost offensively, while they deal from a strength, and we strengthen a weaker part of the organization, the minor leagues.

Konerko traded to Baltimore to save money and get a decent arm for the pen.

Yeah but who really wants to trade Magglio?

"Total payroll in all is $59.5 mill....give or take some."

Unforunately you underestimate about half the salaries for 2004.

"Colon ($11 mill)"

Colon will get more then 11M. Starting pitching is always in demand, and he is the best starting pitcher on the FA market. He might like Chicago, but he isn't going to stay here if he is offered 2-3M/yr more by another team. It will probably take at least 13M/yr to keep him, and there is a rumor that the Sox have offered him a 3 year 40 million deal. It might be a structured deal and include incentives, but he will get more then 11M/yr I guarantee you that.

"Buehrle ($1.5 mill)"

Buehrle will probably get around 3M/yr through arbitration this year. The most a 1st year arbitration eligible pitcher has gotten was a little more then 3M, if I am not mistaken, and Buehrle's numbers are very comparable, so expect him to get around 3M, maybe even a little more.

"Castillo 2B ($4 mill)"

There is no way that you get Castillo for 4M. He is by far the best 2nd baseman on the FA market, and more importantly is a perfect leadoff hitter(something almost every team needs). I guarantee that he gets at least 6M/yr. I mean the guy made 4.85M in 2003, and you think he is going to take a paycut after putting up a .300+ BA, .360+ OBP, and 30+ SB in 4 out of the last 5 years?

"Everett DH ($6 mill)"

Everett is coming off one of his better offensive years in which he made 9.15M, and you think he is going to take a 3+M/yr paycut?

"Thomas 1B ($6 mill)"

I got a feeling that he will want his 8M/yr option. The guy is coming off a year in which he was 2nd in the AL in HR's(42) and 6th in OPS(.952), and I am sure that he would get more then 6M on the open market, so he will probably reject the 6M option and put the ball into the Sox court whether to offer him his 8M option. Either way I don't think he will take his 6M option.

"Cabrera SS ($4 mill)"

The guy made 3.3M last year, is a GG calibur SS, and is coming off his best offensive year. He will get more then 4M on the open market, especially considering he is the 3rd best SS and would be a good option for teams that don't want to pay 8+M/yr for either Tejada or Matsui. He will probably get around 6M/yr.

"Konerko traded to Baltimore to save money and get a decent arm for the pen."

The Sox will probably have to pay some of his salary OR take on a big salary in return. I also think Lightenberg is a FA, although I am not positive on that.

When you adjust the salaries to the likely amount they will get:

Colon(13M) +2M

Buehrle(3M) +1.5M

Castillo(7M) +3M

Everett(8M) +2M

Thomas(8M) +2M

Cabrera(6M) +2M

Sox paying some of Konerko's contract(2M) +2M

So add about 14.5M to your estimated 59.5M payroll and you get a payroll around 74M, which simple isn't going to happen. As you can see the Sox are in a tough situtation this offseason because they have quite a few holes and little money to spend because they are commited to big long-term deals(Maggs, Konerko, Lee-arbitration, Thomas-if his option is picked up, Koch, Loazia-if his option is picked up, Buehrle-arbitration).