Great Dinner Spots in Chicago

hogan873

Reaching out to the Soxtalk community for food advice, because the only things we like as much as the Sox are food and alcohol.

My wife and I will be spending the day in Chicago in September (no kids, yay!), and I'm looking for some ideas for dinner.  Looking for a spot within 30 minutes walking from LaSalle St. station.  Casual, awesome food (would love a good burger), big beer selection, and maybe interesting cocktails.  No dietary restrictions.  Just want to spoil ourselves.

Thanks!

I'd recommend taking a quick Uber to the West Loop personally. Very cool area now a days. Au Cheval and The Loyalist have some of the best burgers in the city. You could grab some beers at the Haymarket after. It is a brewpub, so they serve their own beers. 

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Reaching out to the Soxtalk community for food advice, because the only things we like as much as the Sox are food and alcohol.

My wife and I will be spending the day in Chicago in September (no kids, yay!), and I'm looking for some ideas for dinner.  Looking for a spot within 30 minutes walking from LaSalle St. station.  Casual, awesome food (would love a good burger), big beer selection, and maybe interesting cocktails.  No dietary restrictions.  Just want to spoil ourselves.

Thanks!

What is your price range? 

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I wouldn't be upset with $80 - $100, considering we'd each have a drink or two.

I don't know what Au Cheval is like in Covid times, but you can sometimes wait 3-4 hours after putting your name in. If you have time to kill, put your name in and hit the nearby bars. If you want something more straightforward I would do The Loyalist. Same area, great burger, and other really good food options that aren't too expensive. Plus interesting cocktails. 

7 hours ago, SexiAlexei said:

Au Cheval is one of the best burger joints in the city.  Just be aware that they don't have much food beyond burgers.  And they don't take reservations, so the earlier the better if you don't want to wait.

A trick for no wait Au Cheval. Get there between 430 and 445. They don’t start serving burgers until 5 pm. I have done this 4 times and it has worked every time. Get a couple cocktails  in you, then ask for the dinner menu.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

A trick for no wait Au Cheval. Get there between 430 and 445. They don’t start serving burgers until 5 pm. I have done this 4 times and it has worked every time. Get a couple cocktails  in you, then ask for the dinner menu.

I assume they still seat you, they just won't let you order?

Yeah basically there isn’t a lot where you are staying and while you could walk to West Loop it is a bit of a hike with getting around the river and highways.

I wouldn’t recommend it for a full dinner, but I really recommend going to Cindys in the Chicago athletic club for a drink while it’s light out. It overlooks the tree heavy parts of Maggie Daley park/millennium park and the lake and should be gorgeous in late September.