Gavin Sheets - STUD

ron883

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Fact is, he also played 10 years in the minors. If he was so good, why did it take 10 years at .302 BA to get here? Oh yeah he couldn't catch. Gavin can play 1B and RF besides DH. 

He can play 1st from what I understand, and he can "play" RF from what we have all seen.  He might be able to improve, but right now he is Daniel Palka bad out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gavin has shown me more ability with the bat than I thought he had.  I'm impressed overall.

I was thinking the other day how I usually like the profile if a guy like Gavin if he's on another team: LH bat, contact skills, doesn't K a lot, huge raw power potential that he hasn't tapped into yet, because that sounds like a guy who has the unteachable stuff mostly down and might be able to unlock his potential with coaching and experience.  Maybe Gavin is one of those guys who will continue to progress and unlock some of that raw potential.

Either way, right now he definitely doesn't look like a bad pick, and for a second rounder looks a lot better than the raw high bust rate HS players SoxTalk is always bitching about not taking more of at the top of the draft.

How we feeling about Sheets so far? I love his eye at the plate. He takes his walks. Doesn't seem like he will K a ton for a big guy. I think he is a guy that will benefit a ton from an automated strike zone. 

Edited by ron883

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

How we feeling about Sheets so far? I love his eye at the plate. He takes his walks. Doesn't seem like he will K a ton for a big guy. I think he is a guy that will benefit a ton from an automated strike zone. 

I like him a lot.  Hope that both he and Burger get plenty of playing time.  

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

He is serviceable and can hit a high fast ball which is important. I think Burger's bat is gonna play better, so I am totally cool with Sheets getting moved and wish him good luck. 

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

Very nice having a big lefty 

16 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

When Lamb comes back, there is no point to having both Lamb and Sheets on the roster. The emotional side of me wants to see Sheets stay, but the logical side says that Lamb stays since Sheets can be sent down. Would have a short leash on Lamb though.

I absolutely could see the Sox using Sheets and/or Burger as trade bait at the deadline. With Cespedes/Colas in the pipeline the Sox should be in a good place OF prospect wise.

15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I absolutely could see the Sox using Sheets and/or Burger as trade bait at the deadline. With Cespedes/Colas in the pipeline the Sox should be in a good place OF prospect wise.

I agree with you but hate to see it actually,  Burger and Sheets are going to be good players IMO.  We have to give to get so I get it.  Just don't be giving them away for a box of rocks.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sheets is in some sort of a 1-for-20ish tailspin isn't he? His average is dipping.

He was 4 for his last 22 but 2 were 2 HR's and he took 6 walks . I guess If you take away today it was 3 for 19 with 4 walks.

After today he is at .273 .357 .636 1.011 which is damn good in 39 PA's.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2021 at 2:58 PM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

When Lamb comes back, there is no point to having both Lamb and Sheets on the roster. The emotional side of me wants to see Sheets stay, but the logical side says that Lamb stays since Sheets can be sent down. Would have a short leash on Lamb though.

I don’t see Lamb as a part of the team’s future, as such I’d way rather see what Sheets brings to the table and let him get MLB at bats and coaching.  With Abreu’s age advancing, Sheets could potentially be our 1b/DH of the future. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sheets is in some sort of a 1-for-20ish tailspin isn't he? His average is dipping.

This is the motivation he needed greg! Keep talking about him like he is Alex Rios so he can mash. 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This is the motivation he needed greg! Keep talking about him like he is Alex Rios so he can mash. 

@greg775 I'm close to making a thread about it, but you owe Alex Rios an apology. He was WAY better than you gave him credit for. You treated him very, very unfairly. Completely unfair tbh.

Edited by ron883

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

@greg775 I'm close to making a thread about it, but you owe Alex Rios an apology. He was WAY better than you gave him credit for. You were very, very unfair to him. Completely unfair tbh.

Didn't Alex stink in 2009 when the Sox acquired him to win the division late? I must admit I can't remember too much about my hatred of Rios. I really don't remember that much.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Didn't Alex stink in 2009 when the Sox acquired him to win the division late? I must admit I can't remember too much about my hatred of Rios. I really don't remember that much.

C'mon man, don't play that card. You treated him like a piece of trash on the side of an NYC sidewalk. There's no way you don't remember that. You were totally unfair to him. 

Edited by ron883