Gavin Sheets - STUD

ron883

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

C'mon man, don't play that card. You treated him like a piece of trash on the side of an NYC sidewalk. There's no way you don't remember that. You were totally unfair to him. 

This is a good set of posts for my mental health. It proves to me I don't hold grudges and live in the past. I remember despising Rios and blasting him on here but I truly can't remember what made me so mad. I'm speculating his stats that first year angered me and maybe I caught him loafing or something. I know his stats were blah to lousy in Chicago but I especially despised him.

32 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was right about Leury.

Leury has developed into a good baseball player...certainly better than I would ever have imagined.  This injury-riddled year has provided opportunities for Leury, Vaughn, Sheets, Burger, Goodwin, Mercedes, and even Seby.  I would say our depth has proven substantially better than most of us thought.  TRL has shown us that he still knows how to handle a roster IMO.  When all the regulars are back for playoff baseball...some painful demotions will need to happen.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sheets is rocking a .231 AVG, .311 OBP, .569 SLG and .880 OPS through 21 games.  21.6% SO%, 10.8% BB%, .205 BABIP.  BABIP is pretty low, but he has hit into the shift a bit of course. 

How we feeling about our boy so far? 

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Sheets is rocking a .231 AVG, .311 OBP, .569 SLG and .880 OPS through 21 games.  21.6% SO%, 10.8% BB%, .205 BABIP.  BABIP is pretty low, but he has hit into the shift a bit of course. 

Love him in the role he's in.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Looks quite a bit like a left handed Dayan Viciedo with a much better eye.  He's probably like a 1 WAR player as any everyday player but as the long side of a platoon where he can get some starts at 1B and DH he's a useful player to have on the 26 man.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which tells me two things.

#1 the team is using match ups to their advantage well with Sheets

#2, if he starts playing a lot more, expect a regression.

He might regress. But then again for a rookie it’s hard to groove into a comfortable head space when you are not playing your natural position on a regular basis. He’s still developing, so otoh he might hold his own if he had more consistency as far as natural positional usage. Vaughn is more talented, but he showed improvement as he settled in to left field and he knew he was playing left when he rolled out of bed every day. Now I wonder if he will keep that arc of improvement going if Eloy forces him to move around more. But that’s another story.

Sheets appears to have good plate coverage and above average bat-to-ball skill for a LH power bat. He  is a smart hitter which is no surprise given that his father was a major league player and he has listened to and patterned himself after Jim Thome.  I hope the Sox keep him on the track he is on.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Going forward, what do you expect his role to be with this team? Obviously he will be a platoon bat this offseason. Have the Sox found their DH?

probably DH vs righties, split with some time at 1b and occasionally in RF

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

Going forward, what do you expect his role to be with this team? Obviously he will be a platoon bat this offseason. Have the Sox found their DH?

I think the Sox are gonna roll with Sheets at DH for the postseason and into 2021. 

Reminds me a bit of Daniel Palka.

11 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Me too. But damn Palka sure was fun when he was here. Palk smash baby! Also Palka Parties were all the rage.

Gavin is a different and better player. Gavin takes more walks and has more contact skills. Palka might have more raw power but Gavin is a squint hard MLB RF with some more hard work which hey, as a lefty platoon guy that can start 40-50 games out there in a pinch make Gavin quite a bit more attractive on the roster. He can be an asset going forward but I'm not sure he's a everyday player.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gavin is a different and better player. Gavin takes more walks and has more contact skills. Palka might have more raw power but Gavin is a squint hard MLB RF with some more hard work which hey, as a lefty platoon guy that can start 40-50 games out there in a pinch make Gavin quite a bit more attractive on the roster. He can be an asset going forward but I'm not sure he's a everyday player.

Oh I absolutely agree Gavin is the superior player. His makeup, swing and body type just remind me of Palka. I think Palka actually had a shorter swing, but Gavin has much better eye and bat control, while still having quick wrists, leading to better results. I LOVE how he's been just hitting what the pitchers have been giving him. Going the opposite way, soft duck snorts dumped over the infielders' heads, and of course the rockets into the right field seats. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Oh I absolutely agree Gavin is the superior player. His makeup, swing and body type just remind me of Palka. Actually I think Palka actually had a shorter swing, but Gavin has much better eye and bat control, while still having quick wrists, leading to better results. I LOVE how he's been just hitting what the pitchers have been giving him. Going the opposite way, soft duck snorts dumped over the infielders' heads, and of course the rockets into the right field seats. 

He's def surprised me with his ability to keep his bat in the zone long enough to make contact opposite way. Things can change but he appears to have more than just pull power in his offensive game. As a LHB with contact skills, power and patience, those guys are invaluable in certain situations.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's def surprised me with his ability to keep his bat in the zone long enough to make contact opposite way. Things can change but he appears to have more than just pull power in his offensive game. As a LHB with contact skills, power and patience, those guys are invaluable in certain situations.

Paging a mister Jim Thome