Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

I know this thread isn't getting much play now because everyone wants to talk about big acquisitions.

I just feel like the Sox are going to pick up some rentals as unexciting as that is. It'll be Escobar, a couple of relievers and that will do it.

Sure we try to find a RFer too but more trades = more prospects that you give up and I'm pretty sure the Sox would like to limit that to as few as possible.

It's in Arizona's best interest in trading him early when healthy and get more of his salary paid for rather than hold onto him longer for a return that might be only slightly better while risking an injury that makes him untradeable.

• Like 1

Last 10 games:

CLE 2-8

DET 6-4

KC 2-8

MIN 3-7

Of those 13 combined wins, 9 of them were while playing each other.

The Sox don't need to make any acquisitions to win this division by several games. The only acquisitions should be to bolster the roster for the playoffs after all the injured guys are back. A 2B and maybe a RP.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Probably not, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good move.

For the record, he is looking at about $3.5 million per month, so at this point, you are probably looking at around $11-12 million with the amount of games left in the schedule

That amount of money would be made up in positive fan goodwill.

Those of us who have been clamouring for a LH power bat, should now be insisting upon it. There is no way that this team can continue to score runs without some LH thunder. With Grandal out, there is now only one potential LH run producer and he is not hitting for power, this year. Moncada should not be counted upon to be a power threat in the lineup. He may come around to be what we have hoped, but the Sox can't depend upon it. It's hard to believe that Hahn is not franticly trying to acquire someone to deliver some middle of the order run production, from the left side. Gallo, Escobar, or any other such run producer has to now be a major priority.

I love Sheets and Burger but the former is not experienced enough to carry such a weighty responsibility and the latter is yet another RH hitter. I still don't think that they need to be thinking about anything more than a rental, but they have got to do something, and soon. At this point, the only guy in the organization that I would give any chance of being that LH power hitter, is Lamb, and that is too much of a long shot. He should be back soon, but is not a guy that most would feel confident in his ability to bat in the middle of the order.  

I'd love some of the RH hitters, such as Bryant, but the Sox would still need a LH bat. The month following the All Star break could be brutal, while the Sox await the return of Eloy and Robert. There is little doubt in my mind that acquiring such a hitter is a top priority for the front office. It will be interesting to see what Hahn can do. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 7/4/2021 at 7:11 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know this thread isn't getting much play now because everyone wants to talk about big acquisitions.

I just feel like the Sox are going to pick up some rentals as unexciting as that is. It'll be Escobar, a couple of relievers and that will do it.

Sure we try to find a RFer too but more trades = more prospects that you give up and I'm pretty sure the Sox would like to limit that to as few as possible.

It's in Arizona's best interest in trading him early when healthy and get more of his salary paid for rather than hold onto him longer for a return that might be only slightly better while risking an injury that makes him untradeable.

I think the Sox also have to think about not messing up the chemistry with who they bring in. I think the best deals (and cost in terms of Sox prospects) the Sox could make would be for bullpen arms (LH and RH). Lesser deals such as Escobar for the IF and an versatile OF, LH bat would round out the deals. The august deadline could be used if Eloy and Robert have setbacks. 

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I agree with Sox on 35th: Frazier scares me.  Much prefer Escobar or stand pat re: 2b

Escobar just continues to make too much sense taking into account the other areas in need of an upgrade. I still think we see the Sox get a catcher (Tucker Barnhart) and 1-2 arms. I don't see a deep enough farm to do all that and land a big ticket guy.