Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

5 hours ago, whitesoxbrad said:

If having one the best organizations in baseball is weird then I would take it.

Unconventional is a better word. They do what they have to do always making sure to buy low on good prospects not too many seasons removed form good prospect status. They got 2 players for a 41 yr. old pitcher who they signed for 2.5M who was a FA next yr. Getting 2 nothings for 1 old nothing is how you should be doing it.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Unconventional is a better word. They do what they have to do always making sure to buy low on good prospects not too many seasons removed form good prospect status. They got 2 players for a 41 yr. old pitcher who they signed for 2.5M who was a FA next yr. Getting 2 nothings for 1 old nothing is how you should be doing it.

So why isn’t everyone just doing this? I’d gladly have the Sox be  “unconventional.”

2 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

So why isn’t everyone just doing this? I’d gladly have the Sox be  “unconventional.”

Because in the scheme of things all they get is a minor league catcher who there was probably one thing they liked about him maybe 2. He has power and if his defense is good who knows what can happen but they got some years to find out. That's for the trade they just made.But he's a young body and can be used in numerous ways whereas a 41 yr. old pitcher is out the door and gone soon. TB does it this way to survive as a franchise without money. Most big leagues teams and their fans just think throwing money at a problem works.

Now try suggesting around here that you trade Eloy. Most people would call you crazy even though he's injured all the time and is a shitty fielder. Now lets say Eloy comes back from injury , hits very well and is World Series MVP. TB would probably trade him at the height of what they could get for him . Now that's not the same as trading a 41 yr old pitcher for a minor leaguer but they aren't afraid of pulling the trigger on selling a guy like Blake Snell in the off season after reaching the World Series.

They dump guys before they get expensive and are constantly keeping the farm system loaded because of it. Plus they take advantage of being a small market team on things a big market team like the Sox don't get like more draft money,  more intl money, higher comp. picks. I don't know all the advantages or even if I got the ones I listed right.

Big fan bases don't like to see their favorite players go but you see what happens to teams that rebuild and spend big money or hang onto players. Royals were in 2 straight World Series in 14, and 15 now they are rebuilding again. Cubs ran out of money. Only Houston is hanging on longer. But once the Sox window closes maybe its back to sucking like the Royals or the core gets too expensive to keep. If you want to keep contending and not be at the top of the salary lists you pretty much have to sell some of your stars when they are worth the most and trust that your scouting and player development is top notch.

• Like 1

Sometime the best trade is the one you don't make. Maybe the Sox are not as close to being true contenders as we think. If that is the case, you have to hope our best prospects are not  traded away in exchange for a few rental players and  a one and done play-off run.   I might choose to play the trade deadline pretty conservatively, maybe even stand pat, unless a team comes in with a deal that bowls us away or basically unloads a guy in his last year for the remainder of his contract.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tray said:

Hypothetically..I'd trade Vaughn plus something else for Buxton.

14 minutes ago, tray said:

Sometime the best trade is the one you don't make. Maybe the Sox are not as close to being true contenders as we think. If that is the case, you have to hope our best prospects are not  traded away in exchange for a few rental players and  a one and done play-off run.   I might choose to play the trade deadline pretty conservatively, maybe even stand pat, unless a team comes in with a deal that bowls us away or basically unloads a guy in his last year for the remainder of his contract.

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Now try suggesting around here that you trade Eloy. Most people would call you crazy even though he's injured all the time and is a shitty fielder. Now lets say Eloy comes back from injury , hits very well and is World Series MVP. TB would probably trade him at the height of what they could get for him . Now that's not the same as trading a 41 yr old pitcher for a minor leaguer but they aren't afraid of pulling the trigger on selling a guy like Blake Snell in the off season after reaching the World Series.

They dump guys before they get expensive and are constantly keeping the farm system loaded because of it. Plus they take advantage of being a small market team on things a big market team like the Sox don't get like more draft money,  more intl money, higher comp. picks. I don't know all the advantages or even if I got the ones I listed right.

Big fan bases don't like to see their favorite players go but you see what happens to teams that rebuild and spend big money or hang onto players. Royals were in 2 straight World Series in 14, and 15 now they are rebuilding again. Cubs ran out of money. Only Houston is hanging on longer. But once the Sox window closes maybe its back to sucking like the Royals or the core gets too expensive to keep. If you want to keep contending and not be at the top of the salary lists you pretty much have to sell some of your stars when they are worth the most and trust that your scouting and player development is top notch.

Well said. 

Knowing who to keep, who to trade when their values are high, knowing who to trade for, will keep the Sox contenders beyond a five year "window". The Sox should make some moves in the offseason that both help the 2022 team as well as help restock the farm system [taking into consideration the upcoming deadline moves]. Down the road, that should mean making unpopular moves, like TB does, that lead with the mind [facts, data, analytics] not the heart. 

2 hours ago, beck72 said:

Well said. 

Knowing who to keep, who to trade when their values are high, knowing who to trade for, will keep the Sox contenders beyond a five year "window". The Sox should make some moves in the offseason that both help the 2022 team as well as help restock the farm system [taking into consideration the upcoming deadline moves]. Down the road, that should mean making unpopular moves, like TB does, that lead with the mind [facts, data, analytics] not the heart. 

I don't think TB does anything any other team doesn't do except evaluate , and develop talent better. I think they traded Hill because they thought his shelf life was ending. Maybe they get something out of the catcher, but they think Hill is cooked. They wouldn't trade Eloy. They didn't trade Longoria until he was worthless. They traded Price when most teams would have traded him and got some useful parts. They just seem to have fewer misses that most and occasionally a big hit. Sometimes not being able to afford guys who are going to br free agents thus forcing you to trade them may make you look bad to your fanbase at first, but make you look good later on.

19 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sometimes not being able to afford guys who are going to br free agents thus forcing you to trade them may make you look bad to your fanbase at first, but make you look good later on.

The Sox will be in a similar position. They won’t be able to afford to keep all their young and / or expensive talent. So they will have to be on target with who they trade. Without hurting the Sox chances of winning too much. That also means also getting prospects that pan out from those trades. 

7 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Ok, here's one.  Hahn stands pat and says "we just made 2 huge deadline additions in Eloy and Luis and Yaz is coming back soon.  Not going to mortgage our multiple championship run for 1 season". Discuss.........

No bullpen, get embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs

22 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think TB does anything any other team doesn't do except evaluate , and develop talent better. I think they traded Hill because they thought his shelf life was ending. Maybe they get something out of the catcher, but they think Hill is cooked. They wouldn't trade Eloy. They didn't trade Longoria until he was worthless. They traded Price when most teams would have traded him and got some useful parts. They just seem to have fewer misses that most and occasionally a big hit. Sometimes not being able to afford guys who are going to br free agents thus forcing you to trade them may make you look bad to your fanbase at first, but make you look good later on.

Tampa Bay did trade Blake Snell for four prospects [and he was signed to a team friendly deal through 2023]. My point I was making was that the Sox will need to trade a proven talent as well to keep the pipeline of young talent coming into the Sox to extend their ability to contend for a World Series. And unless and until the Sox win a World Series, I wouldn't advocate to trade a top young talent like an Eloy or a Cease. 

33 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Tampa Bay did trade Blake Snell for four prospects [and he was signed to a team friendly deal through 2023]. My point I was making was that the Sox will need to trade a proven talent as well to keep the pipeline of young talent coming into the Sox to extend their ability to contend for a World Series. And unless and until the Sox win a World Series, I wouldn't advocate to trade a top young talent like an Eloy or a Cease. 

We aren’t in the Rays’ financial situation, so trading controllable stars is unlikely to happen IMO.  We are far more likely to run guys out through the end of their contracts and hope for some comp picks.

9 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Ok, here's one.  Hahn stands pat and says "we just made 2 huge deadline additions in Eloy and Luis and Yaz is coming back soon.  Not going to mortgage our multiple championship run for 1 season". Discuss.........

Hahn  really needs to get at least one reliever. I don't expect much more. You have to wonder how the FO is evaluating this team. Does it really think the club is really ready to make a Series run? Some fans have a laundry list to fill at the deadline.  Second baseman, corner outfielder, at least one reliever. Not realistic because the Sox would have to give up a ton for this. So, please, just get a steady reliever.

We have an offseason to address concerns. The rebuild is at the point where one can see what the club truly needs. Evaluate everything, including the manager. Hahn should do what he can in the next few days. Mortgaging the future isn't one of them, because the future is in plain sight.

32 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Hahn  really needs to get at least one reliever. I don't expect much more. You have to wonder how the FO is evaluating this team. Does it really think the club is really ready to make a Series run? Some fans have a laundry list to fill at the deadline.  Second baseman, corner outfielder, at least one reliever. Not realistic because the Sox would have to give up a ton for this. So, please, just get a steady reliever.

We have an offseason to address concerns. The rebuild is at the point where one can see what the club truly needs. Evaluate everything, including the manager. Hahn should do what he can in the next few days. Mortgaging the future isn't one of them, because the future is in plain sight.

I agree.  BP help is what's needed.

10 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Bullpen Rick, thanks. 

1 hour ago, beck72 said:

We aren't dirt poor. Trading controllable pieces should be done if we are rebuilding or getting an offer we can't refuse for a guy that has one year left and wants a contract he doesn't deserve. 

24 minutes ago, Romeo_Santiago81 said:

Fit is so obvious Adam Frazier and Richard Rodriguez but Jake Burger, Ramos, Jonathan Stiever heck throw in M Thompson,

Thoughts?

The Pirates have Hayes, so doubt they’d be looking for a near major league ready 3B as their primary piece back.  Honestly, I’m not sure we have the bullets to pull off a trade for both of them.