Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

The article doesn't really link the Sox to Story. Simply states the Sox could use a 2nd baseman. 

It does say the Sox are prioritizing bullpen arms but doesn't link the Sox to any names specifically.

I think we got the last part. James is probably correct with the names. Daniel Hudson would be ideal. 

Considering our place in the standings being 8 and a half games up over the Indians, I’m glad we didn’t make a panic move a month or two ago when we have needed to overpay. Escobar is going to have to be dealt at some point this week really. D-backs really have no choice. Just make the moves this week to gear up for the post-season and move on.

BTW when I said that the Sox only had players that get crappy relievers in the minors that was with Burger and Sheets on the MLB team. 

When I talk about "crappy minors, not getting much" it's with the understanding that there are certain players that should only be traded for controllable pieces. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

BTW when I said that the Sox only had players that get crappy relievers in the minors that was with Burger and Sheets on the MLB team. 

When I talk about "crappy minors, not getting much" it's with the understanding that there are certain players that should only be traded for controllable pieces. 

I’m not sure if there’s anyone here who was as genuinely frustrated with the moves this franchise made in 2015 and 2016 as me, and amazingly almost every trade turned out worse in hindsight than it looked at the time. So I’m used to saying the White Sox should hold onto guys.

There is a big difference between giving up players on a team with zero depth in order to move from 73 wins to 76 wins in a season and giving up blocked players to fill holes on a team that is going to be in the playoffs. 

If the White Sox hold onto these guys, make the playoffs 3 years in a row, and never make it past the ALCS, it is worse than trading away a guy for a reliever and having the player become an all star - but the team makes it to a World Series.

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Have the Sox been in on any starters?  Or even starters they could use as extended bullpen help?  I know this is just an informational post, but it got me wondering.

Sox thankfully do not have a current need to add starting pitching. Usually it is expensive to trade for at the deadline. 

When it comes to adding a 2B, looking at all factors, here's where I stand:

1) Turner (wishful but highly unlikely)
2) Escobar
3) Schoop
4) Baez (there would be so much attitude in the middle infield)
5) Story (just think he'll cost too much for a couple month rental)

This 2B thing has gone too far.  Way too much overthinking.  Just acquire Eduardo fuckin Escobar.  Its not complicated, and it shouldn't be very expensive.  Adolfo + insert prospect rated 20-30 in the system and call it a day.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

When it comes to adding a 2B, looking at all factors, here's where I stand:

1) Turner (wishful but highly unlikely)
2) Escobar
3) Schoop
4) Baez (there would be so much attitude in the middle infield)
5) Story (just think he'll cost too much for a couple month rental)

Also it is really hard to look at Story's offensive struggles and think "I am going to get the real trevor story for the next 2+ months". His July has been awful.

And maybe the move to a team that is about winning instead of worrying about your contract helps, but, not really the kind of offensive performance you want to see out of a rental.

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This 2B thing has gone too far.  Way too much overthinking.  Just acquire Eduardo fuckin Escobar.  Its not complicated, and it shouldn't be very expensive.  Adolfo + insert prospect rated 20-30 in the system and call it a day.  

They shouldn't waste their resources on acquiring a 2B. It needs to go to a bullpen piece.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They shouldn't waste their resources on acquiring a 2B. It needs to go to a bullpen piece.

They have plenty to do both.  Just get guys on expiring contracts.  We don't need long term bullpen pieces at this moment.  We need help solidifying things for the rest of this season.   

The Sox cant' expect to win this thing running out bench players at 2B and RF.  They can get by in RF with a platoon when everyone is back, but not acquiring someone like Escobar who will cost very little would be terrible.  

• Thanks 1